guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breva 750 rear caliper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breva 750 rear caliper
    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 17:49
My rear brake operates (eg when bike is on the main stand) but on the road it does almost nothing to slow me down. So I need to take it off and dismantle. Is there a guide to this I can read first? A workshop manual download didn't cover the brakes surprisingly.
kimducati View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimducati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 20:24
If it were me I'd whip the pads out first and de-glaze them.
The back brake doesn't do much and it's prone to glazing.
At least mine is!!!
If it's still u/s, then it's time to strip the caliper maybe
Kim
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 20:35
Thanks Kim - I suspect you are absolutely right. Trouble is I am not familair with that style of caliper and can hardly see it! So, how do I "whip" the pads out? Allen bolts or wire clip thingy?
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 21:08
The pads have a  central pin with a tiny circlip on the inside edge  of the caliper . It's easiest to remove the caliper first . The upside down design is prone to collecting dirt which can stop the pads sliding on the pin and within the caliper body. ( obviously the pistons could  be seized  too) Removing the caliper from the bracket while in situ is a little fiddly  from memory but I'll try to post a photo tomorrow if you're unsure what to do .
Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 21:23
Yes, take the caliper off but leave the hydraulics connected. Remove pads and check them out. But also see if the piston can be pushed back easily, then operate the brake pedal and see if the piston moves again.
Any stiffness in the piston suggests a strip down could be needed.

To deglaze the pads I use some sandpaper on a flat piece of wood, and rub the pads over it to ruogh up the surface.

While you are at it, rub some scotchbrite round the disc surface to make sure it's clean.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 23:17
Thanks for the guidance - I will give it a go and tell you how I get on. Pix of course always welcome.
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 00:05
This video I found is for rear wheel removal  ( not required for caliper removal ) but towards the end you'll get a glimpse of the set up , the caliper is attached to the bracket with two bolts and non captive nuts . If the wheel and disc are in place there's only room for an open end spanner to hold the nuts and also make sure you don't damage the speedo sensor cable ( it may be cable tied to the hose).  Once you've dropped the caliper down , pad removal will become obvious although it is awkward with the brake hose still attached...

Edited by nab301 - 14 Oct 2018 at 00:08
Nigel
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 10:23

If your not confident with brakes try this bloke if he's near enough
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 12:46
 as above  seek professional advice if unsure ,  and yes that's what the caliper looks like after a couple of dry months which is why you're probably better off giving it some TLC rather than a quick fix

Retaining bolts

Non captive nuts at rear

Brake pad pin retaining circlip at rear of caliper
Front view

View underneath with caliper mounted on bike 

Edited by nab301 - 14 Oct 2018 at 12:49
Nigel
'19 CB125F,

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 12:51
The other way is to turn the bike upside down.

It is Italian.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 12:52
Thanks Nigel, that is all extremely helpful and I will get the caliper off and examined soon.

I don't know that workshop in Sunderland red leader. I do all my own work on my bikes - just like to know what I am doing before I make a first time hash of it!

Yes Brian, it's a thought. Wish I had a bike lift as I will have to turn myself upside down as it is.
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 13:21
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

The other way is to turn the bike upside down.

It is Italian.

Although not  Australian...Wink
Nigel
'19 CB125F,

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 13:49
Originally posted by Bugsy Bugsy wrote:

Thanks Nigel, that is all extremely helpful and I will get the caliper off and examined soon.

I don't know that workshop in Sunderland red leader. I do all my own work on my bikes - just like to know what I am doing before I make a first time hash of it!

Yes Brian, it's a thought. Wish I had a bike lift as I will have to turn myself upside down as it is.

He keeps a low profile and doesn't have to look for work.

Was on The Hill years ago then went on his own.
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 16:39
"The Hill" is not what it was, sadly.

Before removing the rear caliper I pulled off the mini circlip from the RHS, through the wheel "spokes" then tapped the pin out. Wire clip falls out. Two spanners and the attaching bolts are off, caliper lowered, pads out. The whole thing is in excellent nick with clean copper grease evident but I suspect greasy fingers had contaminated the pads and then lack of use compounded the lack of bite. Bit of a clean, scotchbrite and brake cleaner and all good. Reassembly is the reverse.

Thanks to all for their advice!
rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 18:14
Originally posted by Bugsy Bugsy wrote:

Thats why I gave up doing jobs on motorbikes and instead pay a competent motorcycle mechanic, they know whats likely to go wrong before they start and how to fix it if something breaks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic