guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small block bevel drive - temperatures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small block bevel drive - temperatures
    Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 16:18
I recently changed the inner and outer oil seals in the Lario bevel box. No oil leak so a bit of a sucess - tip for anyone doing this the large inner seal seems to leak most often and the cause is quite often corrosion on the hollow shaft it rubs against so if changing this seal check the contact area for rust and remove with fine wet and dry (I used 400 grit).

Anyway, I digress. When I went for the first ride I obviously looked for leaks and this involved prodding about at the bevel and disc. The bevel housing gets pretty warm but I can hold my hand against it no problem. The disc gets pretty hot. I reckon between 50 and 70 Celsius depending on how spirited my riding is. I believe most of this heat is conducted from the bevel drive. There is no binding of the brakes; the wheel turns freely.

This may be normal - I didn't ever touch my rear disc after a ride before fitting the new seals. The front discs are pretty cool by comparison. Is this normal? If not I will take the bevel off again and investigate. Only thing i can think of is i forgot is to repack the big roller bearing with fresh grease - but not did I clean it out with solvent etc.

I used 150ml of 140/85W GL5 and 20ml of moly

So, small block owners how hot does you rear disc and bevel housing get?

Thanks

rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 18:10
after a run mine was warm to the touch, you need some heat build up to prevent moisture forming and corroding the internals, people who do lots of short journeys seem to suffer this problem
I have the drive box oil changed one very service
its cheap
much cheaper than a bearing
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 20:11
Yeah I figure its normal: in the same ballpark as some US owners who measured the temps of a range of Guzzis after a run. Cheers
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 20:19
Originally posted by Simmoto Simmoto wrote:

So, small block owners how hot does you rear disc and bevel housing get?

Thanks

Not sure if my Breva  750 is a similar set up  but  since purchase I was convinced  the rear brake was  binding  , I rebuilt it to be sure but the  rear disc still gets hotter than any other bike I ride.  
Maybe  i'll get a chance to play with my new infra red thermometer  and post up the results !
Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 20:37
Rear disc has least air flow over it thus it will retain its heat for longer
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 17:15
I'm another "rear disc runs hotter than expected and no it isn't binding"
It’s more fun to try to ride a slow bike fast .....
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 15:44
thanks chaps all good teSsuring stuff. Yeah id like to try an IR thermometer out of interest too
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 13:09
Pulled bike out of a cool overnight garage rear disc  12 deg  C, air temp 10 deg C, On board temp reading 50deg F
Completed 20 mile motorway journey with no use of the rear brake in the last  10 miles and  only light use of the front brake.

Rear disc  17 deg c   ( cold to touch )
Front disc  light use  25 deg C  ( luke warm to touch)
Bevel box  casing  50 deg C    (quite warm..)
Exhaust headers near  cylinder head  110 deg C

Completed an urban type run using both brakes but not excessively
Rear brake 50 deg C   ( ouch to touch!)
Front  brake  35 deg C ( warm but not burning to touch)
Bevel box  casing       35 deg C
Exhaust headers  135 deg C
Obviously in summer temps everything would have been much hotter
HTH
Edit  ,   75w 140 oil in bevel box

Edited by nab301 - 15 Oct 2018 at 20:58
Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
Scousus maximus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scousus maximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 17:30
Good info there Nigel, thanks for sharing.

Regards,

John
2012 V7 Stone
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 19:59
great info, thanks for that. The rear disc just gets pretty warm then. Exhaust headers get bloody hot! I agree and have the scars to prove!
Cheers
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 20:33
As a (related) aside, Simmo in his OP, tells us that he used 85W 140 plus moly in his bevel box. I wonder, could others who commented above say what they use? Could it affect temperatures?
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 06:28
A cheap infra-red (IR) thermometer is a useful tool. 
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 10:32
I use a good quality 85/140 oil plus moly but not convinced that modern day oils need the additive, so once my can of moly has gone then I shan`t bother replacing it. The moly is an old habit I`ve never broken but reality is that oil technology has moved on, maybe it`s time I moved on with it.

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 12:57
85/140 + moly here
It’s more fun to try to ride a slow bike fast .....
Bugsy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 16:31
Ahh, the moly word again! I asked about this in another thread and it still seems popular even though Guzzi themselves don't mention it at all now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic