guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bp petrol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vegas Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 16:25
Nigel-
Two, actually.  But even Rokons have their limits Wink !

Vegas Pete.
2010 V7 Classic, 2005 Ural Gearup, 1980 Yamaha DT175, 1973 Rokon RT-140, 1969 Rokon MkIII
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 19:43
Originally posted by Vegas Pete Vegas Pete wrote:

Nigel-
Two, actually.  But even Rokons have their limits Wink !

Vegas Pete.
  Assuming they're actually legal to ride on the public highwayShocked
Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
Fairwater View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairwater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 14:49
I am getting a Moto Guzzi V50 III and I see that 98 octane fuel is recommended. In The United States 93 octane with methanol is what is available at the pump. Is 100LL a viable alternative? Is there an additive for the 93 or is it race fuel?

Thanks in advance.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 16:33
I ran my v50 (II) on 94 octane here in the UK and had no problems.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Vegas Pete View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vegas Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 19:57
I don't know how it works on the rest of the planet. but here in the U.S., whatever fuel grade was used when getting the bike past the EPA emissions testing, the manufacturer is required to specify that fuel grade.  My Ural is a great example of this.  To get past emissions it had to be ran extremely lean... which meant high octane gas was needed to keep the pinging and overheating under control.  That is why the Ural, with it's eight to one compression and forty horsepower out of 750 cc's is required to run  premium fuel.  In Russia they run on 73 octane.

As it is, whenever you fill up at a single hose pump, you get a hose-full of whatever the last customer bought- generally regular- which lowers the octane rating of the fuel in the tank even more.

As for 100LL (Av blue), it contains a lot of lead, even compared to the old leaded auto gas.  If your bike has catalytic converters and an O2 sensor it will be the kiss of death for them.  There's also a federal law in the U.S. prohibiting the introduction of leaded fuel into any motor vehicle used on public roads, but I wouldn't loose too much sleep at night worrying about the Smog Nazis tracking you down.

My V7c runs just fine on the fuel available here.  Just try to avoid using single hose ("blender") pumps, avoid using a lot of throttle at low RPMs, and if it pings, back off on the throttle.

Ride on and enjoy!

Vegas Pete.
2010 V7 Classic, 2005 Ural Gearup, 1980 Yamaha DT175, 1973 Rokon RT-140, 1969 Rokon MkIII
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic