guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

another tenuously linked question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another tenuously linked question
    Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 18:38
this Honda CB175 is still hogging the hydraulic bench and I need to fettle the bacon slicer for the DGR at the end of the month. The problem now is that the condenser (new looking) seems duff, bike spark at the points. I've see na lot on here about rubbish new condensers. Can one of the electrically enlightened members please tell me if it matters what particular replacement I get, will any 12 volt one do, does it have to be specifically for a twin etc?
Many thanks.
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 18:57
Yes a new condenser can be duff, causes a lot of frustration. 
There is a thing called a capacitor tester. Some multimeters have them, most do not; a condenser can be tested.  If is is duff you won't get a good spark.
The (farad) value of points condensers varies a lot. It doesn't seem to make much difference but if you have two they should be the same.  
The problem is not so much the condenser (any should work) itself but fitting it into the distributor, shape and screw holes etc.

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 19:51
Fitting isnt a problem as it just sits under a head bolt on the top of the cylinder head (8mm from memory) and there is only one. The one there at the moment looks very like one advertised on ebay for a Honda 125 which I assume is a single.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 23:10
In this situation, a condenser is a condenser, is a condenser. It won't matter what it came from as long as it's not duff.
They should all be rated much higher than 12v in practice.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 07:40
Many thanks chaps. I knew the answer would be here. Lets get this blinking rice burner out of the way so I can get back to work on the Guzzi
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:08
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

In this situation, a condenser is a condenser, is a condenser. It won't matter what it came from as long as it's not duff.

Agree. My mate's Le Mans was running really bad in France and we ended up finding a 2CV in a scrappy and using the condenser off that.  These days the problem is just finding one anywhere.

On reflection, since I bought the bike it might still be there!
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:17
Being a bit sniffy about the bike aren't you Jerry? I had one and did over 30K on it for work and two up camping holidays (We were both a bit slimmer then).
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:11
Absolutely Bob. Pure snobbery The engineering on the little Honda of the highest quality. So many of the design features knock any European, let alone British bike into a cocked hat. You just cannot fault them, even the handling stories are mainly down to bad riding by young tearaways such as me, in my opinion.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 15:24
The only bike I've ever had fail an MOT was a Honda CG 125.It failed because of what the tester called "Body rot" The pressed steel rear mudguard/frame member was in places like a lace curtain. It was the wife's bike, she
was not pleased.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 20:03
Yeah. Funny thing. You can get absolutely everything for the 175 as far as I can see...but no way a rear mudguard worth having.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 23:55
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Yes, preferably hundreds. I have an idea sometimes the problem is Voltage breakdown of the dielectric.

You could of course make your own, Google "capacitor 220nf 1000v", choose, buy, solder suitable leads and connectors onto each end, proper job. Thumbs Up

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 07:03
220nf and 1000V would be about right.
Problem is not just soldering wires on but insulation because the operating volts can be around 450V (because of the coil primary). 1kV can jump 1mm in dry air, allow for some oil mist and it is lower, one of the reasons a condenser has a fat can, increased stand-off.
The condenser capacitor also has to be robust to take vibration, so its wires do not fall off.  They're normally an electrolytic type, the polarity has to be the right way round.
If using an electronic capacitor instead of a normal condenser capacitor, there are some mechanical considerations, it has to be a bit over-engineered; this usually means using a higher voltage type.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 10:39
http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Points-and-Condenser/1462
This and others available from Hitchcock's. Mine has done 25,000 miles without complaint.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:01
Nice link add it to the Alternative parts bud
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:40
My condenser failed on my loop, so I called into a little independent motor factor and bought whatever they had. It happened to be for a Mini in a Lucas box. Had to swap the connector but it bolted on to the side of the distributor OK, and is still there about a year on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic