guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LMV cold starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gianni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LMV cold starting
    Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:24
I've had the following problem for a while and have finally got round to trying to fix it.
My old round engine bikes all start on the choke with no throttle and tick over between 2,000 and 3,500k as they warm up.
My LMV is reluctant to tick over when dead cold. It fires immediately but needs the throttle opening to keep it going for about 30 seconds. If I try starting it leaving the throttle closed it fires and then is reluctant to start unless I pump the throttle. It starts with no problems when warm.

I have been through and checked timing, tappets, carb balance, jets, O-rings, choke cable free play, etc., and have cleaned out the float bowls and carb drilling with carb cleaner.

The starter jet is the standard (per Guzziology) 60 size. The engine is absolutely standard except for Keihan stainless exhausts, the quiet ones. The standard air filter is still fitted and clean. The choke operating mechanism is the standard one fitted to the clutch-lever support.

I've ordered up a range of choke jets from Eurocarb but not sure which way to go.

Any thoughts?
Le Mans 1, Spada, Cali 1, T3 Mongrel, Le Mans V, Quota x 2, Stelvio TT
Gianni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gianni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 17:20
Well with 70 starter jets it at least ticks over, albeit slowly. Still needed a handful of throttle to get it going.
Le Mans 1, Spada, Cali 1, T3 Mongrel, Le Mans V, Quota x 2, Stelvio TT
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 20:34
Is the choke plunger operating properly on both?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Steph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 00:13
20 years ago, when I had my LM V, it came with k&n filters And after a bit of reasearch/ trial and error found that K27 needles and one size up jets worked well. Got fed up with k&n, then installed the stock air box back on and it ran really well on the K27. My bike also had keihan exhaust.

Cali Stone
LM3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic