guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V35 Bosch Alternator Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csx355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V35 Bosch Alternator Question
    Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 12:09
Hi all - having decided to 'tidy up' the tangle of original and previous owner-evolved wiring on my 350 Mk1 I had a rush of blood and decided to go for a full re-wire. 
Now being the methodical chap that I am (yeh right) I labelled each component and terminal as I removed it.  I bought a Motogadget wiring Bus which I have to say is truly brilliant and thought that I might take the opportunity to replace some of the ironmongery with the RR45 Electrex Reg Rect. (Now I'm reading this it makes me sound like I known what I'm doing!) Anyway at the business end of the electrical system on the bike is the alternator from which stems the three yellow wires in a single connector that go to the reg / rect. There are also two field wires one black labelled D- the other brown from DF. No problem with any of those as the RR45 instructions are clear. 

My dilemma is the other lead that comes from the top rear of the alternator and terminates in a 4 pin plug. I labelled these as Alternator - smart eh? I'm guessing they are the field exciter and magic red ignition lamp doobrey's but if anyone could enlighten me and tell me where I might stick them in plain English I would be immensely grateful. 

It's the plug that i'm holding. 
V35 Mk1
V50 Monza
Plus loads of others
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 12:26
Are you sure they are alternator wires? You have an aftermarket ignition system. I suspect that connector is for the original Bosch pickups which are still behind the alternator.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 12:36
I agree - the other connections you mentioned are all the alternator ones as far as I'm aware. The three phases (yellow) plus field wires.

Is that a Sachse ignition system?
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
csx355 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csx355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 12:50
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Are you sure they are alternator wires? 

Thanks Brian - I am as unsure as to what they are as it is possible to be. I have a copy of the original handbook with the wiring diagram and just cant make it out. It doesn't help that it's written on papyrus and more faded than a dead sea scroll. They emanate from behind the alternator which I have never removed. It makes sense that they could be the original ignition connections - I just had not even considered that as the Elektronik Sachse Schizzer was fitted when I acquired the bike. They were connected to the loom and I suppose they could be redundant.

Edited by csx355 - 05 Sep 2018 at 12:53
V35 Mk1
V50 Monza
Plus loads of others
csx355 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csx355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 12:51
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

I agree - the other connections you mentioned are all the alternator ones as far as I'm aware. The three phases (yellow) plus field wires.

Is that a Sachse ignition system?

Yes it was on the bike when I bought it - it seems pretty simple.
V35 Mk1
V50 Monza
Plus loads of others
v50 tlc View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v50 tlc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 21:26
the block you are holding is the pulser wires ,which go to the ignition Bosch boxes,all of this is reduntant,if you have some other electronic ignition fitted
csx355 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csx355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 18:57
Originally posted by v50 tlc v50 tlc wrote:

the block you are holding is the pulser wires ,which go to the ignition Bosch boxes,all of this is reduntant,if you have some other electronic ignition fitted
Many thanks - I will tidy it up and tuck it away. 

V35 Mk1
V50 Monza
Plus loads of others
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic