guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery short - ignition switch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 17:36
If it's them, yes I've had that, once indicators failed en-route to Abergaveney on the 850, fuses just needed a "wiggle". Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 19:35
Originally posted by Gianni Gianni wrote:

Beware that the squeezing solution is somewhat temporary. A full clean of all the contacts, and remove and replace the female spade connectors is more permanent.

Gotcha. Bag full of new fuses on the way, and then there will be an intensive cleaning situation! 

And yup. Conical things.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 20:07
Worth using a contact cleaner spray on the fusebox, helps keep the green crud away. I use it on all connectors.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 20:43
I bought some contact cleaner following the advice on here. It seems to just be carbon tet. Is that what you chaps are using?
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 11:58
The parts you see dissappear through the block of the fuse box and in turn have to make another contact with the part your spade connector goes onto. It's a couple of hours work to clean it all up. And undoubtedly at least one of your spade connectors will need replacing.
When I'm down in the shed next I'll take a photo and show y'all what I mean.
Cheers
Min
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 12:05
Cheers, Min.  I have a 'spare' one on an 850T that's been stood for far too long.  I'll whip that off, clean it, load it with new fuses and swap around.

Mind you, when it comes to 'swap around' from one bike to another, I really must get in the habit of actually re-fitting the parts... better to have them actually joined up than loosely scattered!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 13:24
Originally posted by Jerry atric Jerry atric wrote:

I bought some contact cleaner following the advice on here. It seems to just be carbon tet. Is that what you chaps are using?

Some also inlcude a lubricant so help keep things clear of the green death.
Servisol is one but I use one supplied by CPC Farnell under the brand name of Pro Power. It leaves an oily residue.
Brian.

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 20:20
Thanks Brian, I will have a look for some
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 10:35
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Those conical end fuses are notorious for making a poor contact over time.

Yes, I remember tearing my hair out (probably why I have so little now) with an MZ with the same type of fuses.

I have a blade fuse box sitting on the shelf for if I finish the Norton early and find myself at a loose end.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 15:56
I was surprised to see mention of carbon tetrachloride as a constituent of electrical cleaner - in view of it's deeply unpleasant properties, I'd be amazed if it was still included as an active component in this day and age. It's HIGHLY carcinogenic. Mind you, so is benzene, and that's in the 'safer' version of petrol known as 'unleaded' (@ around 1% by volume).

I recall trying to buy some carbon tet back in the very early 1980's from my local chemists, to be told even then that it wasn't available to the general public, being way too harmful. Amongst other things, it used to be used by Dry Cleaners as a cleaning agent, having extremely good 'wetting' properties. I remember our old chemistry teacher doing a demo of carbon tet vs water; ah, but then again, that was in the days when we used to reflux chemicals to make TNT, and next week's lesson was how to formulate the detonator.....

Up until I ceased working a couple of years ago, we were still using a highly volatile spray cleaner for cleaning debris out of capillary tubes. However, I think the make-up of the spray was mostly acetone, alcohol and ether. 

Try not to breathe in the vapour if using these cleaning agents, and don't fill up the tank with your nose stuck over the top of it!
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 23:56
And I can remember our chemistry teacher showing us floating coins on an open beaker of mercury... we was all crowding round to see properly so probably all got a good whiff Shocked

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 08:06
My leukaemia was due to an environmental cause, and benzine was cited as one possibility.

Carbon tetrachloride was used in fire extinguishers, they were often milked to clean things so didn't work so well when needed.
Brian.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic