guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake/Gears conversion kit V7 850GT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el__burro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake/Gears conversion kit V7 850GT
    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 15:13
Good day,
a few years ago I bought a v7 850 GT (with SP 1000 engine) and
with floorboard.
I have been reading a lot about converting the pedals to Gear left/ Brake right and I have learned that it is nearly impossible to find a kit to do that.
I have read a few posts on this forum about people going the opposite way to mine..
Is there anyone aware of any pedals or linkage available.

Thanks
el__burro
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:57
I changed the foot controls on my 1971 V7 Special and the only way I could find the parts was to keep an eye on eBay.Particularly eBay USA and eBay Italia.
Good hunting!
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 00:31
I would love to convert a modern bike to right change. Having both brakes on the right inevitably tips the bike to the right, having them on opposite sides counteracts this. The gear change was only ever put on the left to protect american interests. Before that everyone except the americans and germans put the gear change on the right, which makes sense if you mount from the left too.

Unfortunately this is rarely possible except with cross-over rear-sets, and not always then. And my body doesn't fit rear-sets any more.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 08:06
I was told the change to RH footbrake was because people couldn't differentiate between driving a car and riding a bike, so the right foot had to be used in both cases for the brake.

Just don't buy a bicycle in France where you will find the front and back brakes reversed. Obviously the EU hasn't got round to bicycle safety yet.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 14:49
Originally posted by jefrs jefrs wrote:

I would love to convert a modern bike to right change. Having both brakes on the right inevitably tips the bike to the right, having them on opposite sides counteracts this.

Really ??? Confused I hadn't noticed.

In the dim and distant past when I had an old British bike and a (then new) Japanese bike, got the pedals confused a couple of times to start with, but soon enough I automatically got into which way round they were whichever bike I jumped on.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 15:09
I once had a go on an AJS (Villiers) trials bike. Couldn't understand why it kept changing down when I wanted to stop. LOL
Brian.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 15:17
Probably the best way of stopping it.......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 15:17
I have always understood that the gear lever was placed on the left after decades of being on the right because that was where the Japanese manufacturers placed it on there then new designs. Because the USA was swamped with Japanese bikes back in the early seventies the American legislators decided that all motorcycles sold in the USA had to have a uniform layout. Thus, Harley Davidson had to comply and change their layout, as did any manufacturer from Europe who wished to sell their bikes in the states. Triumph, Norton and Moto Guzzi among others were forced to comply.Loop frame Guzzis were sold with the new layout in the USA and the traditional layout in Europe.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Loopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 16:00
For me who was weened on jap bikes clutch and gears on left and both brakes on the right seems the only logical way. When I got my 1971 v7 Special with the foot brake on the left although I could manage, when it came an emergency stop I automatically reverted to my old ways and on a loop you really need to use both brakes! I’ve since changed the brakes to right and gears to left and I’m now very happy. 

jefrs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 12:19
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

I was told the change to RH footbrake was because people couldn't differentiate between driving a car and riding a bike, so the right foot had to be used in both cases for the brake.

Just don't buy a bicycle in France where you will find the front and back brakes reversed. Obviously the EU hasn't got round to bicycle safety yet.

On push bikes, the right-rear left-front brake is called 'euro' and common throughout the continent.
In the UK that set up makes signalling a right turn a lot easier because one usually needs the a hand on the front brake whilst keeping one's hand out, or some idiot will try to overtake. 
I first encountered it in France and later swapped our push bikes over. 

I've driven automatic cars for the last 30+years, as do most americans. I left-foot brake, as do most americans. The big brake pedal on an automatic is for either or both feet. 
I'll left-foot brake a manual too, it's an advanced driving/race technique. 

Before the USA legislated for left foot gear change, only american bikes and BMW were left foot change at that time, HD had already switched over. In Germany even NSU were right change but had become extinct. Japanese bikes, having been right-change domestically quickly switched over. 
It was an american trade protectionist policy that forced the change over, no consideration was given to road safety or drivability, no studies were carried out.

Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 21:20
I have always wanted to try setting a bike up with the rear brake on the RH handlebar and the front brake on the RH foot.  Then when you stop on a greasy road and want to put both feett down you can still brake the rear wheel.  Which can be safer than having to brake the front wheel those last few mph
Andyb 
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 08:39
In my opinion having the rear brake on the handlebars would require a hydraulic rear brake and brain surgery....as to the original post....

I swapped my 1974 850T foot controls many years ago, it was relatively easy as it was the first model that the factory changed the brake from left to right using shafts running below the gearbox. As posted on another forum (Netherlands) below, the controls have been radically rear set as well as swapped, brake is now on the left. The factory came up with this design to move it to the right to suit US market, all I have done is swap it back, but if you can get, or make, the 850T parts you can change either way.

I have just reassembled the foot controls, cross shafts and support plates, originally the brake was on the right and the gear shift on the left. I changed them because at the time I was riding my Triumph as well with the controls the other way round. It was a straight forward swap as the bike was originally an 850T which Guzzi had made the plates and cross shafts to swap the controls to suit the American market. The gear lever just clamped on splines to the other end of the shaft and the gear shaft needed a bit more cut and shut work. I did this conversion about 30 years ago.

IMG_0819_zpssm5od7ku.jpg

Brake pedal on left hand side on splined end to rear shaft.

IMG_0818_zpswlfsmsog.jpg

Gear change on front shaft, this one needed the welds to the arm ground off and plate re-welded (this is the plate that connects to the gear selector via the ball jointed rod)

IMG_0820_zpstrbfxyt3.jpg

Gear lever shaft sits in cups on the triangular support plates that are bolted behind the foot peg carriers and is spring loaded to reduce end float. Radical home made rear sets. The rider foot peg carrier has been cut off in front of the two frame bolts and a stainless steel bar with the foot peg rubber on was internally threaded and bolted through the rear of the pair of frame bolts. The gear and brake pedals were cut short and bent to suit and drilled and tapped for a bolt for the control rubbers.

IMG_0821_zpsflmuw8wq.jpg

Both shafts from the rear, sprayed with silver Hammerite smooth.

And as Posted on the MGCGB forum

I have converted my 1974 850T to right foot shift it was quite straight forward as the pedals are operated by two separate shafts that pass under the gearbox. I had to cut and shut the gear change leaver as it is welded on the shaft but the brake is on a splined end so easy just to swap the lever end to end. My bike now resembles a 750S of the same year. You will need to get the shafts and end plates from an 850T. If you look at a parts list there is a picture of them all. The brake on an 850T is a drum brake operated by a rod, so you will have to come up with a different solution for the left foot brake.

You can see the parts here, the shaft carrying the foot brake has a splined end both ends so was easy to just swap the pedal (17) and clamp (23). To swap the gear shift I had to cut off the projecting tag that the fork (5) bolts to and weld it back on upside down at the other end. I shortened the pedals as I rear set the foot pegs, boy otherwise it was straight forward. You will need to work out how to swap the hydraulic brake though on a Le Mans but this should be possible with a mechanical linkage.

...and on the frame components you will need parts 46 and 47 described as right block and left block respectively, these are the shaft carrier plates that bolt behind the cast foot rest arms

Edited by Chris950s - 12 Dec 2018 at 08:42
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 13:29
You boys need to do a few miles on a pre-war bacon slicer, it makes you concentrate. Right foot heel and toe back to front gear change, left heel back brake.
Chris950s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris950s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 14:07
I've just realised that the original question was about a loop, not a Tonti frame, sorry

Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica nearly rebuilt!), 1966 Triumph T100SS 58 years young this year!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 16:22
Originally posted by Andyb Andyb wrote:

I have always wanted to try setting a bike up with the rear brake on the RH handlebar and the front brake on the RH foot.  Then when you stop on a greasy road and want to put both feett down you can still brake the rear wheel.  Which can be safer than having to brake the front wheel those last few mph
Andyb 

Have you tried running that past your insurance company, or an MOT inspector should one be needed?
Brian.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic