guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 MONZA rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrispy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 21:05
Hi Chris
Sorry to hear of your Plight with the DVLA they really are heartless cretins ,
I had a similar problem with a Triumph Speedtwin a couple of years ago 
I got in touch with the VMCC and they dealt with it for me and I got my age related number then
Its all to do with how you word your restoration I will try and find the paperwork they sent me which goes through the process in detail.
I try to find out more tomorrow .The VMCC got them to cancel the application and start again with a new one 
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 23:06
FFS. Ouch

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Richard Hyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 22:02
Hi all,
Just a comment on paint .
I've just bought a 1979 v50 and took the rear mudguard into HMG coatings in Andover hants.
They matched it superbly and made up 3 x cellulose aerosol cans.
Really helpful people , £15 a can
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 08:18
Its not necessarily your vin that's wrong, someone may have ringed another bike and registered it while yours was in bits. I thinkmther is more registration fraud than the average honest person realises.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 09:28
In that case it must have been someone who knew the VIN. nobody could do it through guesswork.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 12:51
Having had time to calm down and reflect I think my original assumption that the number plate in the box of bits was with the bike seems to be incorrect according to DVLA data. Moto Guzzi in their wisdom have only stamped numbers on the frame not letters, however I can see that this allows them to switch between models on the final production line whilst using the same basic frame. The two prefix letters can then be added to the VIN plate along with production date etc.
I have consulted a local bike dealer who has been in the business for many years and his conclusion was that I would find it very difficult to find someone to restamp the frame when there are already numbers present. He went on to say that he had never heard of a new VIN being issued for any vehicle but that his opinion of the DVLE was very low anyway.
I can only hope common sense prevails

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 13:20
So you think that maybe the registration number might not be the one for that bike?

Cannot the DVLA do a search for the VIN and tell you what the reg should be?

Yes, you need letters for the VIN too, but they should be the same on a similar model?
Brian.

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 14:31
My assumption about the number plate was based on a DVLA check showing a Moto Guzzi 493cc in blue. The original boxes contained a couple of blue side panels and the nose cone had been resprayed blue so I just assumed the reg to be correct.
When I spoke to the supervisor dealing with my case she reluctantly did a VIN search but wouldn`t tell me the result, so I feared the worst as she then said that any appeal could yield the same result as before. The annoying part is that it took 7 weeks to get to this stage so It could be close to Xmas before I get a final answer and then if it`s the wrong one I could be on the search for another frame, this time with a verified V5c

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 17:05
Have you got any friendly police locally? Some of them can do a VIN search.

Your VIN is clearly on their system.

Brian.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 20:46
Sounds like there were bits for TWO bikes in your boxes! Shocked

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 11:22
Just had it confirmed that there is another bike out there with my frame number registered at the DVLA
The way forward now seems unclear as they have suggested I contact the factory to get as much history as is available for my frame number. I have told them that this still leaves it open to the other owner to do the same and get exactly the same history.
I will have to consider joining the MG Club to access their dating/inspection service and to get help with a way forward, meanwhile I am looking for any info on factory frame numbers. Big question is whether the frame number itself is unique (numbers only) or is it the two letter prefix which makes it unique, ie. could there be, for instance PE12345 and PF12345 if so then I have a major problem as the two letters are NOT stamped on the frame

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 11:58
Would it be possible to have a technical inspection of your frame number and get a signature saying it had not been tampered with?
It would then be up to the owner of the other bike, who might well be an innocent victim of fraud, to prove his own case.
Seems like a crime has been committed, but who knows whether the DVLA or the police would be interested ... might be worth asking though.
chrispy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrispy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 12:40
I dont know if this helps but
I have just looked at my pictures I took of my frame after I had it powder coated .
The number on the frame which is under the ally vin plate number is totally different,
Frame is stamped DGM165**  OM    and vin plate is PB 167**
I am pretty sure it was as it left the factory,so numbers dont seem to match
anyway, no one would ever know or have a record of what the factory frame number was stamped as,  as its hidden under the vin plate .
I suppose the frame number is no good for anything in that case and the vin plate is the only record ,unless I've got a Ringer Cry

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 15:20
The VIN plate does not normally cover the frame stamping, also the PB prefix is correct followed by five numbers the DGM number is a part number I think. The frame stamp is on the right hand side of the headstock usually, whereas the VIN plate is pop rivetted onto the front normally.
Further to my last post and on advice from both my local bike dealer and the factory I have now scraped off more powder coating right up to the underside of the bearing cap. Good news is that the PE letters were there albeit about an inch from the numbers. The factory confirmed that all the numbers and letters should be stamped on the frame of the V50s but the letter P on mine was very faint.
I`ve now got to figure out how to tidy up the paintwork on the headstock without concealing the frame number as it now looks a right mess. Also the other owner of the bike with my frame number could have a serious problem now as it looks as if DVLA are preparing to investigate

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

chrispy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrispy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 19:34
Hi Chris,
Yes you are correct I just had a look and the frame number is there on the right side and its the same as the vin plate with the PB prefix .(is it PB for a V50 and PE for a Monza )
the DVLA will probably want to send an inspector to verify your frame numbers before registering it.
I have had them a couple of times, if the frame number and vin Plate are matching they cannot refuse to give you an age related number plate.  Its their cock up 
I had to register an American Imported Suzuki GT550 1972 that is like new unrestored and original and they still sent out an inspector to check the frame numbers, took about 4 months to get it sorted.
I also had to join the vintage Suzuki club and get a letter from them to support my application which took time.
I reckon if you have the Mot with the full Frame number on and a  letter of Authentication from The Guzzi club verifying year of manufacture they will give you an age related number after its been inspected.I had to pay £30 for Letter and I think they charged £55 for inspector, so more Expense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic