guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 MONZA rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 14:07
Beautiful job Chris, I hope you get some sunny days to enjoy the result.
Breaking news, it's pouring down in the Alpujarra.

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 14:18
It`s not much better here and is very windy with it

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

guzzigraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guzzigraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 15:54
Nice looking bike Chris, I hope you get some time on it soon. I just read through this thread for the first time and was horrified about your sand problems. I'm planning to take some engine cases up to be blasted soon and am already worried about any residual beads which may lurk.

Funnily enough I just got an update about "windy Donny" today from an Uncle who is in Warmsworth. I also saw you posted a while back that there are no model shops around you any more. Makes me sad to think the one on Duke Street has gone then... used to press my nose against their window a lot on the '70's

'68 V7 700 - March 2023
Coburn and Hughes Le Mans II - March 2022
Nuovo Falcone - May 2020 to June 2023
1200 2v Sport - 2016 to Feb 2022
T3 California - long gone

'78 Z1000 been in bits for a while
dan_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 17:34
Glad you made it. Happy rides.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 19:32
Originally posted by guzzigraham guzzigraham wrote:

Nice looking bike Chris, I hope you get some time on it soon. I just read through this thread for the first time and was horrified about your sand problems. I'm planning to take some engine cases up to be blasted soon and am already worried about any residual beads which may lurk.

The sand in my engine was because some cretin blasted it while it was built up with no exhausts or carbs on
They probably had bought a LIDL sand blaster for £20 and wanted to try it out

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 19:50
All credit to you, you deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labours
i24 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 06:59
Originally posted by c13pep c13pep wrote:

The Monza lives just waiting for registration at DVLA

It seems a long way back to the collection of bits and pieces that I set out with

CHRIS

Nice! TongueBig smile

I like the red respray. My V50II could do with one like that. Is there an "official" color for MG red for LM MkII's, Monza's etc?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 07:41
I think you will find it's the same red.

Check through this list.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 10:46
Unfortunately I couldn`t find the original paint code and I didn`t have a sample for analysis as the bike was previously blue, so I sent my son down to Halfords to buy some different aerosol reds for comparison. Basic I know but the number of reds out there is astronomic and `seeing is appreciating` so he did some test panels for me which is how we ended up with AUDI Brilliant Red. Granted its not original but of the 3 V50s I've done so far this one is very close to my ideal colour and I can always buy a correct touch up for future mishaps. If I could get hold of an original panel in factory red then most paint suppliers, these days, can scan it for colour matching in a modern paint.
Funnily enough the blue is the colour I didn`t like but the new owner of my original V50/3 resprayed it that colour and it looks gorgeous

Monza
Honda CB77 project

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 11:48
I used VW Tornado red for my V50 which is a bit less "orangey" than most of the Guzzis I've seen.

Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 16:51
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

I used VW Tornado red for my V50 which is a bit less "orangey" than most of the Guzzis I've seen.

Yes my first one was a bit orangey and the AUDI colour is close to your VW colour. Still a nice looking bike you`ve got there however I`m just glad to reach the running stage or will be once DVLA have completed their checks

CHRIS   

Monza
Honda CB77 project

George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 17:58
RS paints colour match most motorcycles spray can or bulk can for paint sprayer 
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 19:51
I needed red paint for my Cardellino which I'm really not interested in. I went into The Paint Warehouse in Bristol and just asked for a litre of bright red paint. The young bloke grunted and disappeared through a back door. He came back 2 seconds later and plonked a tin of some shade of Vauxhall red on the counter. It turns out to be exactly the right shade! I think all Guzzi reds are the same? In which case, start with VauxhallšŸ¤”
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 15:29
Sodding DVLA have rejected my application for a V5c on the grounds that `the changes that have been made to my vehicle invalidate any previous registration` They have allocated another vin number, 17 digits long, which I am required to have stamped on my frame and the old stampings are to be defaced and made unreadable! I have then to submit the bike for inspection at the owners club who have to confirm the date of manufacture of all the major components and that the bike is a true representation of the marque.   
Needless to say I have lodged an appeal on the grounds that removing the original stampings would take away the originality and that the owners club need these to verify my frame date
I spoke to the person responsible for the decision and asked why a new reg. number could not be allocated to my current frame number. The response was less than encouraging as when she inputted my vin I got the impression that it was already out there on someone else`s V5c but of course data protection does not allow her to divulge this information. I am sure my vin is as it left the factory and has not been tampered with but whether this is going to help me is another question
This is the last bike I will restore without a V5c it`s just not worth the hassle

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 15:34

This is one of my pictures of the frame number on the Monza as used by the MOT tester recently

CHRIS

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic