guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Battery, No Start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omobono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Battery, No Start
    Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 11:16
Hi all,

perhaps you can help me on this little mystery.

Bought new battery and installed yesterday on my Moto Guzzi 1000 SP.

Battery kicks like a mule but engine does not start.

I have checked the spark plugs, which were very dirty (last time, two weeks ago, I had made many attempts to start bike with old battery).

Two new spark plugs installed and still no results.

The battery kicks and I have also tried with my monster jump starter, which would awaken the dead, but no result.

Some more information that might be useful or not:

Fuel tank is full.

Several attempts made with and without starter, with and without fuel tap open (to avoid flooding)

Bike not used for two weeks (otherwise I am on it every weekend).

Yesterday it was extremely warm.

New cables and new electronic ignition installed last year, all worked flawlessly up to now.

I know I am doing something wrong, and it must be something very little/stupid, but what might it be?

Many thanks to all who can help!

Omobono
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 11:32
Have you checked for good spark both plugs. Plug resting on cylinder to earth
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 11:47
not intended to offend - is your kill switch in the 'on' position - does the SP have a side stand switch ?
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 11:47
Just to state the obvious - but it does catch us all sooner or later - check that the 'kill switch' isn't deployed.

Edit:   Ah, snap!
Omobono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omobono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 11:55
Hi,
You do well to remind me as I am just the type of guy who could forget the kill switch! Smile

Yes, I have checked. With the kill switch on "kill" the electric is dead and the gauges do not go up in the first place, with the kill switch on "ride" the gauges are lit and the starter engine "kicks".  

I forgot the test with the spark plugs. Am I supposed to do it just switching the key on "on" and see if I have the spark, or does the spark only come out when I push the starter Button? I would not want to flood the cylinders again... 
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 12:28
You need to push starter leave petrol taps off 
Good luck 
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 12:48
If cylinders are flooding then that suggests no spark, have you connected all wires back onto battery as mine has several wires onto the + pole.
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 17:45
Using same carburettors, after I cleaned mine and put in new jets (old ones blocked), I was then reminded why MUST NOT use the 'chokes' in Summer, just instantly floods and will never start.

If when you take the plugs out they are very wet with petrol (BUT plugs will spark in open air), that may be it.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 17:58
I might be wrong but I have never known Guzzi where the kill switch cuts all electrics. The ignition switch does of course.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 18:02
I took "Battery kicks like a mule but engine does not start" to mean that he starter was turning, but the engine not catching.  That could have been a mistake on my part.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 18:07
I have known cases where the kill switch kills the ignition but still allows the starter to operate. Either way it doesn't normally kill the instruments.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 20:08
Yes, although I have done that as a modification. Idea was borrowed from my BMW, where dashboard don't light up and starter don't work if 'off'.

Not normally on a Spada though so sounds like a similar modification?

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 21:22
Fuses?
jog53
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 23:59
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

I have known cases where the kill switch kills the ignition but still allows the starter to operate. Either way it doesn't normally kill the instruments.

Yes, my Spada caught me out like that. The potential customer was stood next to the bike as I tried to start it but to no avail. As he drove off I clicked the kill switch and she fired up. I'm not really used to bikes with kill switches.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Omobono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omobono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 17:27
Hi and thanks all for the many answers.

Kill switch: this is not the original one, but the "made in china" one copying the "lego" style. It can be that it is wired differently.

I have *not* checked the fuses, many thanks for the suggestion!

I will then try with 1. no starter and 2. fuel taps closed. I can confirm that the spark plugs were actually "wet". I would hope fuel would now bloody evaporate with this weather?  

To confirm: with kill switch on "engine off" nothing happened. With "engine on" everything happened but the engine waking up ( = starter engine working fine, but the twin cylinder engine does not start). I can actually see the energy with which the starter engine "kicks" so it's not that the starter engine does not generate enough push to start the real engine.

Wires: I have connected all the wires as I remember them to be connected, I was surprised there are, apart from main cables on positive and negative, two other minicables on negative but only one mimicable on the positive. Is this normal? Am I missing a cable somewhere below the battery? Shall I try with only the big cables to see whether it starts?   

Finally: if I have the cylinder flooded, what remedy do I have that does not involve dismounting things?

Thanks a bunch!

O

Edited by Omobono - 11 Jul 2018 at 17:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic