guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Oil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear box vs transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kriegmob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gear box vs transmission
    Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 20:18
Nevada 750 2007

so I’m pretty certain I know what oil to put in gear box and transmission but I’m not 100% certain which place is which. To add to the confusion what i believe is the transmission also seems to be referred to as a Cowden (?) gear....  Also the owners pamphlet says to check gear box oil in the maintenance checklist but never gets around to explaining how?

So...is the place for oil on the rear wheel end of the shaft drive the transmission?

What bad thing does it mean if old oil in said place comes out stinky, greenish and a bit foamy?

And then gear box is in middle of bike, filler/view port on the right side behind rear brake?

Finally, is on center stand level enough to accurately check/refill or do I need to figure out a way to balance it on both tires?

Thanks a bunch guys, it can be lonely as a Guzzitista in Alaska
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 21:31
The problem comes from the variation in terminology between US and UK English the gearbox is the bit with the gears in, the other bit is the bevel drive, sometimes known as the transmission.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 17:50
Also, Final Drive (shortened, FD).

I would have expected centre stand to be ideal for checking levels.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Kriegmob View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kriegmob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 16:47
yes I’m thinking it’s level enough...center stand isn’t standard on the Nevada maybe that’s why the manual says to balance with both wheels on ground rather than just say put on center stand. 

But...that back tire is up so does it slosh liquids forward?

For what it’s worth I decided to go with center stand levels and everything seems to be fine. 
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 20:13
Originally posted by Kriegmob Kriegmob wrote:

But...that back tire is up so does it slosh liquids forward?

I've thought about this also, my conclusion, not enough to bother me. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Ogmios View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ogmios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 22:04
Originally posted by Kriegmob Kriegmob wrote:

.... But...that back tire is up so does it slosh liquids forward? ...

AFAIK,
both bevel box (back wheel) and gearbox are self contained, sealed units with a 'dry' shaft in between, thus somewhat limiting slosh.  (say that after a few pints Big smile )
Appears bright from a distance / dim up close.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic