guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardellino 73cc Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 10:05
No, at me.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 11:23
[QUOTE=Brian UK] No, at me.

Now I can really empathise with that   

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 18:38
This is a great forum. Where else would you get a restoration topic discussion posting about how your wife treats you. 
I have restored a number of bikes but don't ask me to restore wife to when you first met her 
George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 20:47
its worth popping the tyres and rims tapes off to see what the top of the spokes look like
if you need new ones central wheel can supply them in a polished galvanised finish
they last longer than chrome and look much better

George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 13:26
V5 registration document arrived today. 
Stick on number plate numbers and letters ordered from I say ding dong. 
Ready to ride next week not expecting to get any speeding tickets LOL 

George

1994 Nevada
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 22:04
Don't you have 20mph limits in your area?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 15:17
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Don't you have 20mph limits in your area?
No 20mph limits or hills to ride down on Canvey Island, will have to go off island to test for maximum speed 
George

1994 Nevada
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 21:58
Fitted rear number plate today and went for twenty minute ride.
Very impressed. Started 2nd kick. Everything works as it should. These were well built bikes. 
Brakes much better than expected. Engine pulls well exceeded speed limit went up to 33 MPH.
Will fit mirrors and go for a longer ride this weekend weather permitting.
Time to start winter project 110cc Zigolo

George

1994 Nevada
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 14:08
Steady on George, will you be able to cope with all the power of those extra CC's!

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 22:55
The drag from the mirrors will bring you back down to the speed limit
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 08:15
I've just caught up with this thread.  Well done George, I think you've pitched it just right on the restoration to have a smart little bike without spending a huge amount of money which can't be recovered on a small bike.  I've been offered a Zigolo myself, but waiting to see photos of it.  It's been stored for 35 years, the last 5 outdoors, so I am not optimistic it can be saved.
1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 09:26
Originally posted by Glawster Glawster wrote:

I've just caught up with this thread.  Well done George, I think you've pitched it just right on the restoration to have a smart little bike without spending a huge amount of money which can't be recovered on a small bike.  I've been offered a Zigolo myself, but waiting to see photos of it.  It's been stored for 35 years, the last 5 outdoors, so I am not optimistic it can be saved.

Thanks for your comments
I think engine had earlier restoration, made for easy task to get back on road.
The hardest part was sourcing spare parts, none in UK had to buy from Europe, expensive plus high delivery charges. For example quoted £50 plus postage for cone type wheel bearings, converted to roller bearings for £20.
Have finished stripping Zigolo engine and at every stage I am amazed at the superb quality of engineering.
When new Zigolo cost approx. £60 my new tiger cub in 1959 cost £150, mediocre quality.

Good luck with your maybe project. If it does not work out my friend who lives in France makes trips to Italy to buy bikes from his contacts. Next trip back to UK November would you like me to ask if he has found any lightweight Moto Guzzi's

George

1994 Nevada
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 11:26
Originally posted by George S George S wrote:

Good luck with your maybe project. If it does not work out my friend who lives in France makes trips to Italy to buy bikes from his contacts. Next trip back to UK November would you like me to ask if he has found any lightweight Moto Guzzi's

If he finds an original Gilera Saturno at a reasonable price I'm interested!
1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 16:07
Originally posted by Glawster Glawster wrote:

Originally posted by George S George S wrote:

If he finds an original Gilera Saturno at a reasonable price I'm interested!

Not sure lightweight, reasonable price and Gilera Saturno all belong in same sentence LOL
George

1994 Nevada
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 20:47
Originally posted by V7Chris V7Chris wrote:

Steady on George, will you be able to cope with all the power of those extra CC's!

When i want to check extra CCs and my nerve I take the 1000s out. Difficult to stay sensible on this bike even at my age.
George

1994 Nevada
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic