guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Guzzisti go touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camping on a V7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping on a V7
    Posted: 25 May 2018 at 20:24
Anyone gone camping on a modern day V7?
Just wondering how much capacity people manage with on a camping trip.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of Teklite 35L roll top water proof bags from Thewayoverland (saw them at the MCN festival), 540 x 340 x 290mm each.
https://thewayoverland.co.uk/product/wp35-waterproof-roll-top-bag-yellow-with-universal-tie-down-system-teklite-products/

Plus I've got a couple of Givi 3D600 25L semi-rigid panniers, so that'll make 120L in total.

Thoughts anyone??
Thanks, Pete.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 21:37
Lomo do great bags.  You can get a bigger bag for less cash, might not be quite as stylish with the logos but they have a great reputation 
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 22:54
What it comes down to is just how much do you really need to carry.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 08:45
I'm used to camping with a car Brian, I'll start making a list of what I REALLY need! No idea how I managed on a CB200 all those years ago...
Just found good review of Lomo bags on you tube.
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 09:10
I suppose it all depends on if you are touring around or just staying in one place. I found mine was too small for the stuff I needed for a two week hotel holiday. It ruined what should have been the pleasure of the journey there and back, and as you get older the only thing that changes is the definition of "essential" items!
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 09:26
Yes, you will have to downsize just a tad if you can't take the car too. LOL

What tent do you have, is it just you? Are you just taking the stuff you already have or do you intend to buy some new?

For instance, down sleeping bags pack into half the space of the normal polyester type for the same warmth. I have a two person tent which goes into half a pannier.
It's not just the weight involved, it's bulk too. Those sleeping mats are also bulky, so I use an inflatable one which also has some special thermal insulation. Wasn't a Thermarest, cheaper than that.
Or you can do what someone I know with a fully kitted out Norge does and pull a trailer too. He seems to take his kitchen sink everywhere too. Shocked

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 09:35
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Yes, you will have to downsize just a tad if you can't take the car too. LOL

What tent do you have, is it just you? Are you just taking the stuff you already have or do you intend to buy some new?

For instance, down sleeping bags pack into half the space of the normal polyester type for the same warmth. I have a two person tent which goes into half a pannier.
It's not just the weight involved, it's bulk too. Those sleeping mats are also bulky, so I use an inflatable one which also has some special thermal insulation. Wasn't a Thermarest, cheaper than that.
Or you can do what someone I know with a fully kitted out Norge does and pull a trailer too. He seems to take his kitchen sink everywhere too. Shocked

Or buy a bike trailer for the car! I had a squire trailer on my BMW in the mid eighties and it is amazing how you fill the space available.  Before that, I used to strap our two person tent onto the front of the CX. Don't think I would do that now though, hotels are better value these days although definitely not as enjoyable as camping. We had throwover saddle bags, a large tank bag, a top box and a rucksack for the wife and managed for two weeks somehow.

Edited by V7Chris - 26 May 2018 at 09:40
motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:11
I'll be solo for short stays, Mrs L loves the look and sound of my bike but won't ride on it. I might buy a down sleeping bag but will be using existing tent (3 man Vango) probably inside a dry bag with other clobber . Panniers too small for tent, will stuff them with clothes & other essentials.
For a small bike it copes well with long rides, I can imagine it would pull a trailer provided you ride at V7 pace
SurreyFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:58
People have different (often polar opposite !) views !! In my opinion....120L is a big volume of stuff !! We went on a two week walking holiday last year with a 30l rucksack each.  Admittedly no tent and sleeping bag as we used mountain huts etc., and we washed gear at one point half way. So that I suppose is the other extreme.

There's also of course weight to consider in terms of the effect on handling etc. My compromise has generally been a couple of 35 litres throw over panniers, and a tank bag say 10l with one of those Ortlieb type waterproof bags on the back (if solo) with tent and sleeping bag in it. Maybe 80l in total.

Essential stuff to keep dry in rucksack or on bike I use dry bags like these;https://www.alpkit.com/featured/dry-bags no connection to them, but they aren't the crazy money of some and do other useful stuff too.
Spada NT, Monza,750T, T100R Daytona (oops, that one's a Triumph !)
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 15:38
I can't imagine how you could fill 120 litres!  I think you would find yourself giving lots of clothes a nice holiday and putting them back on the shelf unused at the end! If you have the space you will fill it and reduce the fun of riding a light bike.

One pannier cooking kit/ bike spares; one pannier clothes and shoes (you're wearing boots, all you need is trainers & flip flops); bag with tent, dossbag, thermarest on the seat and tankbag for daily kit (visor, camera, spare gloves, etc).  If you have a rack then small bag on there for waterproofs and the food you have for the day.

If you want to see how it's really done look at cycle touring stuff. Weight and size really matters when you are muscling it up a hill!
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 19:13
Plenty of bog roll. Im off to france on the cali. I don't trust them forners and their funny loos...
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 21:41
As an example this is my Le Mans loaded for a week awaywith a large 3 man tent, karrimat, etc in the bag on the seat. If I didn't have the team tent it would have been much neater.

Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 21:57
even with all that mess on your bike the LeMans looks greatThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
SurreyFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 08:09

Can I enquire what make the panniers / tank bag are ? They look really good and the perfect size...?

Spada NT, Monza,750T, T100R Daytona (oops, that one's a Triumph !)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 09:25
Originally posted by SurreyFan SurreyFan wrote:

Can I enquire what make the panniers / tank bag are ? They look really good and the perfect size...?

The tankbag is a solid old Hein Gericke one and the panniers Fieldsheer. I actually hate them with a passion! They are quite a fussy design with too many separate compartments, internal dividers, etc which take up useful space.  The "heat resistant material" is too thin so hard edged items can stick out and the waterproof covers are a joke - they don't fit over properly if you have all the attachment straps on and actually fill with water! Sorry, got on a roll there. 
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic