guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Oil
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil advice and Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malllywoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 14:24
hello there, I am a bit puzzled as my 750T 1992 gearbox require a 85w/140  I put the details of my bike onto your website. I had to call it a Nevada as mine isn't on your dropdown list, but It is the same. You are recommending Castrol Transmax universal LL 75W fully synthetic transmission oil, a far cry from the original, Please can you confirm this will be ok as I do not want rubber seal problems at a later date or any damage.
oilman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 16:05
Hi

I've had a look and our site is recommending the Castrol Transmax Longlife LL 75w-90, which is 75w-90 and not 75w. I've also had a look at a few databases, and they are all listing 80w-90 as the standard option for that gearbox, so I assume that at some point after the bike was made, Guzzi changed the recommendation to 80w-90. We list 75w-90 instead as 75w-90 tends to be a better quality oil, as well as the thinner cold viscosity often helps to improve cold gear changes.

Cheers

Tim

Use the code GUZZIRIDERS and get 10% Club Discount
Email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 18:57
There is also often confusion between the gearbox and bevel drive, which is called the transmission.
The bevel drive usually has the higher viscosity oil.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Superexcellent View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superexcellent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 22:56
I have just changed all the oils on my V50 II. I used Castrol Power 1 20W/50 for the engine, Castrol Syntrans 75W/90 for the gearbox and Castrol Syntrans 75W/140 for the bevel drive. I hope these are ok. I like fully synthetic oils and they are certainly better than mineral oils in my MX5
Enthusiastic Fettler
Stevex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 23:21
I don't use full synth oils in my LM2 of similar vintage to the V50II. You may find that the seals don't take kindly to it. I use Valvoline VR1 Racing in my engine. Apparently the Racing moniker allows them to use higher ZDDP content, which these engines like.
Power 1 is a semi, I believe, Power 1 Racing is the full synth.
Steve
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 07:48
How do you judge that any oil is "better" for any particular engine? I guarantee you can't tell while riding/driving, and most don't keep vehicles long enough to know about long term differences.

Yes, synthetic oils are known to weep from older oil seals, where a mineral oil will not. If you do want to use any synthetic oil in an older engine it would pay to replace all the oil seals first.
Brian.

BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 08:07
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

How do you judge that any oil is "better" for any particular engine? I guarantee you can't tell while riding/driving, and most don't keep vehicles long enough to know about long term differences.

Yes, synthetic oils are known to weep from older oil seals, where a mineral oil will not. If you do want to use any synthetic oil in an older engine it would pay to replace all the oil seals first.

Thumbs Up
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Stevex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 18:09
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

"Better", where did that come from? More suitable, definitely.
Which is why I wouldn't use a full synth oil in an old Guzzi engine.

Steve
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 21:49
If you look at Superexcellent's post, you will se the word "better" was used.
Brian.

AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 11:59
Dear All,
Looking for gearbox oil for my 1982 V35II..  Probably prefer mineral to synthetic in case of seal problems..

Opie oils stock Fuchs Titan and Miller  80W/90. Others stock Comma , own brands, Castrol, Motul etc..

Any recommendations please?

Thanks,
Adrian
Bristol UK
rvickerm View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvickerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 13:06
Hi
     in the process of buying a 1990 MG 1000S so making a shopping list but not having much luck with lubrication recommendations, can you please advise on the following?
Engine oil? Mineral, multi grade or synthetic?
Gear box oil?
Final drive oil?
Oil filter?
Brake fluid?
Fork oil?
 Appreciate and assistance with the afore mentioned.
Regards
rvickerm
rvickerm
Stevex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 13:35
This is what I use on my 1980 Le Mans 2:
Valvoline VR1 Racing, mineral 20w50 with high ZDDP levels.
Halfords EP 80w90 GL4 for gear and bevel box with some liqui moly in the bevel.
Oil filter, oem from Gutsibits.
I've got Showa cartridges in my oem forks and have just replaced the oil, using 5w Motorex Racing fork oil.
Brake fluid, dot 4 from Halfords.

Edited by Stevex - 24 Dec 2021 at 16:03
Steve
Guzzi1000SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 14:16
Hi rvickerm,

A 1990 1000S makes it an early one so it should be the Big Valve model, with twin 40mm carb version.  Is it the one that's currently on ebay?

What Lubricants people use is a very subjective and you may get different answers.  However, from memory I have noted what I use in mine below.  I have also included a link to the 1000S Owner's Manual which might be of use. 

Engine Oil Semi Synthetic 15/50  
Gearbox & Final Drive EP80/90
Oil Filter UFI
Brake fluid Dot 4
Fork Oil SAE 10W 
Rollo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 15:22
Hi, 
If it helps I just follow the recommendations in the owners handbook for viscosity, (Similar bike).
I use a 10w40 semisynthetic in the motor, Silkolene Super 4.
Gearbox and bevel drive now using Motul Gearbox mineral 80/90. 
ATF in the forks
Dot4 brake fluid
Castrol Optimol paste on the drive splines

Hope that is of use,
Mark

Rollo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 15:26
Forgot to mention oil filter.

Have used original UFI and Hiflofiltro 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic