guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter relay Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter relay Mod
    Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:59
Hi All,
Sorry if I am asking an old question, but my 06 Griso is getting the starter clunk, despite a new battery and even with jump leads from the car. I have tried following the advice on here, but I´m not getting very far.
I have found what i think is the starter relay just below the seat on the right hand side, but the colours are different to all the diagrams, mine are red/black, brown/white, orange/yellow, orange/green. the red/black is the ignition 12v, but adding the fused feed from the battery does nothing. Is there another relay somewhere and if so where is the little sh*t hiding? I´m getting fed up now, all I want to do is go out for a ride, HEEEELLLP!
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:26
follow the numbers on the relay ?
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Bernyc View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:25
There are no numbers on the relay.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 13:03
ok from scratch take seat even side panels off key in press start you ought to hear the relay click .....No real exp of Griso but the V11 le mans and the cali have relay sets on the left side you can hear and actually feel the relay click .... if it is the standard 4-5 pin micro relay order a new one from Pyro Dan in the USA his relays are real good easy to replace ..top tip replace ALL with 5 pin relays then if one fails they can be swapped .... to find out what relay does what look in the owners manual at the back is wiring with fuses and relays marked, you MAY need a magnifying glass lol AS always IF you are not really sure with elektrikery please get someone to sort it, a wrong connection CAN end up with your pride and joy going up in smoke very quickly ......The start cct pulls a lot of juice
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Bernyc View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 13:29
Thanks for the reply.
I am sure I have the right relay, listened/felt the clicking, I just thought there might have been a second relay, as my wiring is totally different colouring to the diagrams on here. 
I have just taken the starter motor of and tried it connected direct to the battery and it seems to be turning quite slow even with a fully charged battery.
Bernyc View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 13:40
That should say taken the starter motor OFF, I hate it when people get of and off mixed up, now thanks to being frustrated at Italian electrics I have let my standards slip.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 14:56
Nothing wrong with a bit of pedantry. However, it might have been easier just to edit the post and hope no-one had noticed in the interim......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 15:04
Yes, Guzzi triumphs again. I see the wiring colours are different on the Griso to the other CARC bikes, why? Because we could.
This is the correct diagram (courtesy of Carl Allison).

Item 3 is the start relay and the wire you need to replace with the direct feed is that going to pin 3, it looks like orange/green. It's connected to fuse C at the other end, but just disconnect it at the relay and tape the end up. Then put your new wire from the battery direct to the relay pin (with an inline fuse).
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Bernyc View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 16:11
That´s great thanks, will try that, but it looks like the starter motor is at fault, as it is turning really slowly when connected direct to a battery.

Edited by Bernyc - 13 Apr 2018 at 16:21
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 17:43

How did you connect it to the battery? Unless you used very large cables, the same size as those on the bike, it would run slowly caused by the voltage drop in the wires.

Is it a Bosch starter or another make?
Brian.

Bernyc View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 18:19
I used the largest cable I had knocking around, approx 4mm. Yes it is a Bosch.

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 19:25
Look up local Bosch dealers they charge about £75 ish to totally refurb the starter motor way less than a new one BUT I think someone changed it as I am fairly sure Griso's were fitted with Valeo as standard..... not 100% sure but the 02 le mans was valeo
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Bernyc View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 20:02
It´s never been changed, I have had the bike from new. I will refit it tomorrow and do the wiring upgrade, and let you all know how it goes (or not).

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 20:48
I think most of the CARC models were fitted with a late Bosch starter, my Norge has the same (built 2006).

4mm cable is not very heavy in terms of starter motor current. The standard wiring is 16mm.

I had my starter off, but only to clean out the solenoid. Didn't look further into it, but there could be a possibility of the brushes being worn and not making good contact on the commutator. Can you see an end cap you could remove to check this? If you have the starter off, can you turn the pinion (and armature shaft) fairly easily, or is there definitely some mechanical resistance? Any noise when you turn it?
Brian.

Petros GR View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Petros GR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 00:47
When this happens to my 2006 Griso 1100, its because one of those:
- battery is weak
- battery terminals needs cleaning (even if they look clean!!!)
- Spade connector to the solenoid on the starter needs cleaning and/or tightening
- "Groud" or "earth" connection on the motor needs cleaning and/or tightening
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic