guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1994 Nevada Restro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1994 Nevada Restro
    Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 15:38
Hi
purchased abandoned project. 1994 750 Nevada model with carbs and digiplex ignition
Arrived looselyassembled

spent some time sorting out painting etc
Assembled to make sure everything fits

Almost ready to startup

Two faults found at attempted start up.
1)  Think sparking at wrong position. No timing marks on flywheel. no way to check.
 Thoughts:
     Is it possible for faulty digiplex to change static timing? Unable to find any information other than try another one. Not available new, 2nd hand over £200, expensive way to test fault.

Has previous owner removed clutch/flywheel and replaced in wrong position putting flywheel tabs out?

2) When pushing starter switch current is going through clutch cable, preventing starter operating.
Direct short from engine casing to handlebars through clutch cable. That is weird (wired)
Remove clutch cable starter operates

Any ideas / help / suggestions would be very welcome

To be continued

George

1994 Nevada
1962 Lightweight ducati Bevel Single
Son's 1990 1000S to borrow any time
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 15:45
The clutch cable thing sounds as though there is no earth cable on the engine.

Had that many years ago with a minivan which earthed through the throttle cable. Trouble was, it was a plastic outer and the inner melted it and fused to it so it wouldn't come off full throttle.......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 16:15
Hi Ian
Might be wrong but thought engine earthed through frame. Have checked for bare metal on one frame lug to engine. Can't see any engine earth strap on parts list / wiring diagram. 
Has your v50 an engine earth
George

1994 Nevada
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:15
Yes, keyboard got ahead of the mind slightly. I should probably have said check the earth lead from the battery to the frame.....

However it never does any harm to have a sound earth between the engine and the battery / earth frame connection.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:28
Are you sure the clutch cable is not touching something live? The fact that it starts when you remove the cable suggests the starter wiring is good.

The engine does earth to the frame, it's the frame to battery earth which sometimes is not as good as it should be. But you can get rust which doesn't conduct between the engine and frame. So worth considering a new earth from battery to engine case as Ian suggests..
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:51
Have checked cable not touching live, only handlebar and clutch arm which of course is connected to gearbox casing. cable only live when starter operating. Wondering if I have done something wrong.
Only thing I can think of is that I connected high output 32ah battery from my 1000s. Sandard battery is 18ah. Would you think this would cause problem?
Will fit extra earth engine to battery later today.
Going to do some gardening and wait till brain re engages 
George

1994 Nevada
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 14:53
Different battery won't make any difference unless you connected it incorrectly.
How do you know current is going through the clutch cable?
Brian.

cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 17:33
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

The clutch cable thing sounds as though there is no earth cable on the engine.

Had that many years ago with a minivan which earthed through the throttle cable. Trouble was, it was a plastic outer and the inner melted it and fused to it so it wouldn't come off full throttle.......

Had exactly that with the speedo cable on my Nimbus.
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 17:34
Clutch cable is getting hot when starter operated which got me thinking will get hot if access current passing. I am going to strip starter to see if shorting out causing access current
George

1994 Nevada
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 18:58
Starter stripped. Looks like previous owner had stripped starter replaced grease on planetary gears and replaced planetary shield wrong way round. Shield touched on armature causing dead short.
Starter back on bike starter working correct
Thanks for your inputs. Helps with thought process.
link to good Valeo strip down site if someone else has problems 

Just need a genius to help with fault 1 ignition timing now
George

1994 Nevada
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 19:16
Well who'd have guessed that one.
Brian.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 10:30
I always like to learn from my experience. Even better from someone else's....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 16:44
Wise words. To nice to be stuck in shed today. Took other Guzzi out for ride. Will post photos later in "what did you do today" section 
George

1994 Nevada
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 17:33
Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
George S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 19:04
Update on restoration.
Starter motor working fine. Will have to fit new clutch cable, excess current tried to weld inner to outer.
Ignition problem
Managed to get hold of replacement digiplex electronic ignition box, problem still same
Renewed sensor, problem same.
new plugs and caps fitted
I will try to explain whats happening.
Engine cranks ok, good compression, good sparks. engine makes no attempt to start
When cranking exhaust down pipes get hot with occasional back fire (unburnt fuel in exhaust?)
occasional backfire in inlet.
valves are seating good,
My impression is that ignition timing is wrong sparking after tdc.
There are no timing or tdc marks on flywheel to check.
There are four sensor tabs on ring gear, timing is fixed by ring gear position
Anyone any ideas on a way to check spark position by turning engine through back wheel.
As I bought bike as abandoned project I can only assume anything could be assembled wrong and might have to strip engine, remove clutch and check for alinement marks on crank, clutch, flywheel and ring gear.

Wires from digiplex to coils are correct according to manual, what damage would it do if I swopped left for right plug leads.

Sorry for long post but this is driving me mad, should be out riding in this weather. Any suggestions would be very welcome
George

1994 Nevada
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic