guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mk v leman carbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mk v leman carbs
    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 20:01
Hi folks I am rebuilding the phm 40s from the lemans 
the bike will be run with k and n pods OSM exhausts  apart from that all stock 1990 model
have any of you chaps run either of the these set ups 

K4 needle, bottom clip
128 mains
68 idle
50/3 slide
265 atomizers

of Needle:   K19 - 3rd notch
Needle Jet:   AB268
Main Jet:   150
Idle Jet:   65
Slide:   60/5
Euro idle mixture adjustment screws, 1/2 turn out

I would be interested to hear from you chaps , before I order a couple of hundred quids worth of bits from euro carbs

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 15:33
The pod K&N may be too restrictive at high rpm, because they're too small, especially if over-oiled, which is too easy to do.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 15:40
Can’t help you, not had the 40’s apart that’s on mine.
dekay View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 17:19
Hi that's the settings recommended by Steve Wesson to be used with longer down pipes/no cross-over/lafraconi competion exhausts when I fitted the exhausts.Also the carbs were fitted with lighter and cut down spings in place of the heavy(very)external bell crank springs and seperate throttle cables with  twin pull throttle.Also used S & B filters.With standard points set up would rev to the stop on the tacho(not too often) when the red mist descended !
regards Dave
dave
chrisshrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:05
thanks Dave,I will give them a good clean and see how I get on 
Johann View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 06:59
Hi Dave.
Where can I get replacement external bellcrank springs from please?
I ordered lighter carb springs for my mk V from Gutsibits but they sent me internal springs which are nowhere near the right size (far too big). In addition the internal springs are very light whereas the external ones are obviously the culprit for the throttle stiffness.
Going on tour in a week or two so quite needy!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 08:29
Try Eurocarb. They are the Dellorto importers.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
dekay View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 09:53
hi,don't know if delorto do lighter bellcrank springs.I used internal coil springs(think 3 strengths were available at the time) bit fiddly to fit but done several times as I cut coils off until engine vacuum on over-run overcome the sping and didn't shut the slide,then shortened 2 springs slightly less.Initially I used round tops(as used on ducati) and made up throttle cables to suit but went back to the bell crank tops and used standard cablesThink I used standard ducati 900ss springs from dellorto,but try the springs from gutsibits as they might have the right tension.Hope this helps
dave
David_M View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 11:45
I asked Eurocarb about using internal springs and got a long and detailed reply from a very helpful gentleman called Rob. He said that depending on the exact type of carb I may need to remove an internal central pillar and that some types of slide may not be able to accept internal springs. Lighter external springs do not seem to be available so I searched Ebay for '8mm OD compression springs'. I was able to obtain different lengths and 'weights' to experiment with for around £5 a pair. Some companies will wind them to your precise requirements if you can decide what they are. The best suppliers I found were 'nickcwizardscx' and 'eurosprings5'. All I need now is the time to experiment!
David_M
LM V, V50 iii
Keef Mayhem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keef Mayhem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 02:02
You can use the internal springs with bell crank tops and remove the external springs completely, have a read through this thread :)
http://www.guzziriders.org/lemans-mkv-throttle_topic4019_page1.html?KW=Keef+Mayhem

some pics here which may be easier to see what I'm waffling about

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 23:45
So many bikes, so little time !
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 16:40
Originally posted by Keef Mayhem Keef Mayhem wrote:

You can use the internal springs with bell crank tops and remove the external springs completely, have a read through this thread :)

Didn't think there were external srpings on mine, was a long time ago tho. Still needed to get the light slide springs IIRC.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Dunders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 21:05
re: jetting.  I had a mkV Lemon for a while and when it arrived it ran like a pig.  I followed the jetting advice from my friend Godfrey who had done extensive work on jetting his LMV.  I don’t have access to our correspondence as I’m away from home, but a quick Google led me to this (http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=70270.0), which is an extensive discussion of jetting.  Godfrey is quoted in there.  I hope it helps. It certainly helped me.

FWIW, be sure your timing is spot on.  I fitted a RITA,which I found helped. There was a different electronic ignition when I got the bike (can’t remember what: trendy at the time, but definitely contributing to the poor running).  I doubt that you can get a RITA for the LMV now, but there are other, better, options these days.  Or you can set up the points ignition properly, as many here would advise. I have never been let down by the RITAs I’ve had in 3 of my Guzzis, but I don’t do the mileage that many here do. YMMV.

HTH

Paul
....lost in the Irish Sea

'72 NF, '73 V7 Sport, '75 T3 (950), '95 Cali 1100i, '05 Breva 750.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dunders/
chrisshrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 17:17
thanks buddy 

Steph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 00:24
going through my old notes on my LM V, I had a long time ago.

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/view2/MGV7S

Extract of my post back in 2001:
If you are going to put K&N filters make sure you use K27 needles and next size up main jets. Individual K&Ns are not really suitable here in the UK because they are soaked most of the time. The stock airbox is not bad.

I also had lighter carb springs with carb flat top similar to the sport 1100 setup 

Edited by Steph - 25 Sep 2018 at 00:31
Cali Stone
LM3
dan_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 10:02
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic