guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will the V7 hold value?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will the V7 hold value?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 15:13
Hi!

I am a happy new V7 owner..

Just wondering what you guys thought about how the market will go with these bikes. I live in the UK and certainly Triumph Bonneville's (which I see as a similar kind of bike to the V7) really hold their value well. You'd be lucky to get a good 2001 Bonnie for £3000.

Do you think this will also apply to the V7? Base value for a 2008 V7 also seems to be around £3000 at the moment, do you think a 2008 V7 will hold it's £3k value over time (assuming it is kept well)?

It's hard to read, but I feel like a classically styled bike isn't going to go out of fashion like a modern styled bike that will at some point begin to look dated.

rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 15:45
Well assuming things stay the same, it should hold its value, when I bought my Breva 15 years ago, I could have purchased an AR5 for 1,800 less
now the ER5 is worth around 700 to 800 quid and the guzzi around 2 grand
dont buy a bike as an investment, buy it to enjoy
what you must take into account is the possibility of a recession, look at how many companies are failing at the moment, although many of them have been running on bullsh*t and hyperbole, something that in leaner times catches up with them
if you really want one, can afford to look after it and enjoy, then you wont lose muchmoney
if its an investment you are after buy a classic bike but make sure its an origional unspoilt machine and not something tarted up in some clowns shed

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 16:06
I think the truth is that with very rare exceptions you will always lose if you buy your bike new. As soon as it rolls out of the showroom it's worth significantly less than you paid.

I've never bought a new bike, preferring well used examples but still have lost money on the series of "modern" bikes I've had over the last 15 years or so.

On the other hand, I'm slightly into profit on the "classics" that keep them company. That is if you don't count the time I spend on them.......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 16:38
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

I think the truth is that with very rare exceptions you will always lose if you buy your bike new. As soon as it rolls out of the showroom it's worth significantly less than you paid.

I've never bought a new bike, preferring well used examples but still have lost money on the series of "modern" bikes I've had over the last 15 years or so.

On the other hand, I'm slightly into profit on the "classics" that keep them company. That is if you don't count the time I spend on them.......

I totally agree on the first two counts, and rationalize likewise about the third   Wink

Your V7's value is going to depend on mileage for a while yet.
In my garage is a Honda VTR 1000 in perfect nick, and at 90.000 miles it's worth... nothing.
Should I wish to sell my '79 T3, nobody would ask about mileage, we'd talk "history".
A £3K Bonnie probably has 15.000 miles top ! 
fras View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 17:24
Thanks for the replies, I think I mis-led slightly, I have a new to me 2008 v7 I paid 3200 for.

In no way do I buy bikes to make money, but it can sometimes lead my decision to sell it on again at a certain point. If I had bought for example a Yamaha mt07 then I would be looking to keep it for 2 or 3 years tops so I don't lose too much on it. My guess is the styling will go out of fashion when the next cool thing comes along.

It's interesting you mention the vtr1000, I used to have one in the early 00's and around the same time a trx850. The trx now appears to be a "modern classic" running at 3k+ where a good vtr can be had for half that. Sometimes there's just no knowing.
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 18:57
Best way not to loose money on most bikes is to not take it out of the crate and then just leave it in storage until fashion shows an interest in the model, then you can sell any old junk at a profit. Thankfully it's mostly only dealers who can afford to do that.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 18:57
Welcome, fras. I reckon your V7 won't disappoint. I get where you are coming from regarding depreciation. We all know its going to happen but its always nice when its not so much.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 19:48
The old question the real answer is it depends how long you keep it? Can't speak for a v7 BUT my V11 Le Mans on a 52 plate recently sold for £5 less than I paid for it 12 years ago! Yes I rode it yes I looked after it .....My 76 V1000 is now valued at over £5000 it's new price was in 1976 £1599, in context the new top of the range Honda then was £995 ... 750/4 F1 ..... back in 96 the new VFR750 was £8995 ! ..... ...now a days the New Guzzi 1400 Cali is around £15000 the Goldwing and other bikes are 5-6k more .....
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 20:08
GC888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 09:00
Starting off from a different perspective .... 

I like auto jumbles, its a weird world of broken rusty bits that are full of potential. They also have stands of restored bikes that are now in pristine condition. Sometimes you are in disbelief that someone has spent 100s of hours restoring a yamaha RD200 to better than showroom condition. A motorcycle I can honestly say was crap (I owned one). 

Other bikes are 'worth' restoring (most of Sammy Millars collection) unusual interesting and famous.

Back to my point ... I do have one 

The Stafford show is coming up in April if you have been you will remember its has a tunnel from the main car park to the show ground the ramp in is a perfect place to observe your fellow bike lovers.

The obvious immediate observations are 
1 - they are 99% male
2 - 80% have grey or greying hair
3 - 90% have arrived in a car
4 - the 20% not grey or greying are with someone who is
.....Please excuse the dubious statistics used to make my point! 

New bike sales in the UK are down but registrations of road legal motorcycles are up.
(That is a real statistic).

So what does that mean for s/h motorcycle prices in the UK? 

For what ever reason new motorcycles are not appealing to the current UK biking population.
"we" are looking at existing bikes that appeal to our tastes (nostalgia?)

This is all reflected in the asking price for the desirable bike of the 70's 80' 90's which are currently high. 

Are 'we' buying into nostalgia now we can afford it, are showrooms too expensive? 
Lets park that one for a moment...

The biking population is ageing we (including myself) have a limited window of useful motorcycling years, at the end of which our collections will be sold into a diminishing market. 

Diminishing markets mean prices fall for everything with the exception of the rare collectable and most desirable - if your buying for an investment to make money 
- is it model thought to be the best? 
- who owned it? 
- who rode it?
- which event? 

On the other hand it will mean there will be an increasing pool of nice mid range bikes coming onto the market at prices that are attractive.

In conclusion buy it thrash it enjoy it nobody will be interested in buying it anyway - I'm looking forward to the news story of a 100year old being nicked at 100mph on a LeMans! 

On the other hand there are younger bikers where its sunny so will an export market develop? 

BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 09:44
The market for a used V7 would seem to be with a "customiser" who will charge vast amounts of cash just to bung on some K&N filters, tractor tyres and a seat that my mum could have made up out of plywood and vynal sofa off cuts. I can't imagine who would want to buy a used one of those so many used parts available in the future.

Edited by BobV7 - 23 Mar 2018 at 12:03
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
MelJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:18
I have a Bellagio which appears to be going up in value, first time ever in my motorcycling career that's happened. 

cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 13:20
I think that in 15 years time you will be on an electric moped and your bike will be worth sweet FA.

So enjoy it while it lasts.
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 13:56
Or we'll care FA because no one will EVER sell it !!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/mechanicsburg-man-buried-his-motorcycle/w3JCU9aec0l6GBcwG7Dd3O/#1

Big smile
fras View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 18:20
oh wow.. that is some way to go!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic