guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More electrical advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keef Mayhem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 15:11
Out of interest I also checked the charge lamp wattage which is the same 1.2w lamp which seems to be fitted to just about every other Guzzi with the Bosch charging system.
Isn't the bulb/resistor simply there to ensure the rotor is magnetised  at start up then the charge output is controlled by the regulator adjusting the field strength ?
It doesn't really matter does it as long as it charges the damm thing Thumbs Up

So many bikes, so little time !
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 19:07
Originally posted by Keef Mayhem Keef Mayhem wrote:

Out of interest I also checked the charge lamp wattage which is the same 1.2w lamp which seems to be fitted to just about every other Guzzi with the Bosch charging system.

Yes In both my big block Guzzis (only ever had two) they were 1.2W same as all the others. And the generators worked.

Also had a R80, identical Bosch system, that was 1.2W too.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 22:20
And as we have already established, most also have the additional resistor fitted.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 14:10
No mine didn't.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
ageingroover62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ageingroover62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 17:47
Right then first chance to have a go at it tonight, got all the led's sorted and working so put some fuel in and gave it a whirl, bike turns over no problem but no sign of it starting, when you say it needs the ign light to kickstart the alternator or it wont charge would that actually stop the bike from starting ?
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 18:20
It won't affect the starting.

Cheers
Min
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 19:54
no start check fuel is getting thro' check spark if both there double check timing/compression it is possible to be 180 deg out , only made that mistake once many yrs ago but it can be done .... Guzzis are incredibly forgiving even way out timing will make some sort of chuff or bang
The Older i Get, The Better I Was

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ageingroover62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 20:49
Since the bike was running before i replaced the warning lights and the led ign light shouldnt affect starting then most likely cause is me fiddling about with the wiring replacing the warning lights and presumably it must be something to do with the connections to the ign light 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 22:13
When something goes wrong after fiddling, suspect what you did.
Getting a spark?
Brian.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ageingroover62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 17:55
Had a plug out, plenty of spark so thats not the problem, when i was fitting the led's i tidied the wiring up a bit so just wondering if ive left a wire off somewhere, will have to have a go at it tomorrow 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 18:20
If you have sparks and the engine is spinning, your problem is not electrical.
Brian.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ageingroover62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 13:03
You will be relieved to know i now have a running bike all lights go out upon starting as required so thanks very much to all contributors to my ongoing saga, until next time.
Mot calls
Dave
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 13:40
Well done that man.
Brian.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic