guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Singles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lodola 235 con rod/ little end advice...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lodola 235 con rod/ little end advice...
    Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 11:39
I have 2 x conrods, they both have little holes in the bit where the gudgeon pin slides through, hope this makes sense, when you push the bronze? little end bush is pressed in, it blocks this hole.  My question is this, should this little end be then drilled through or not?  1 of my rods has no hole drilled in little end bush-this engine has never seized on its little end, the other rod which has a hole drilled has seized its little end twice despite being not overly tight on assembly.  I would have thought drilled would allow oil in to the little end/gudgeon pin contact area but the seizures would suggest otherwise.  Does anybody know definatively which is right, hole or no hole.  Ta Adam
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 14:45
Can't say for the particular bike but all the little ends I've ever fitted have had a hole in the bush, as you suggest to let oil through.

Possibly the materials are different and the one with the drilling is incorrect? Or maybe the rod is bent?
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Asjc View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 18:49
I must admit I thought that too, the crank is coming out so will get that checked out, it ran for thousands of miles with the instilled one.Ta for reply
iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 19:37
If there’s a hole in the small end eye of the con rod, I’d never fit a phos bronze bearing without drilling through to provide an oil feed.
But then, what the hell do I know!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic