guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 mk2 Resto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulrob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V50 mk2 Resto
    Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 21:45
I have introduced myself on the forum & asked for advice on engine removal. I thought I should start a proper thread as I intend to fully rebuild my newly acquired (first Guzzi) V50 mk2.

I have rebuilt 2 BMW airheads & the Guzzi has many similarities (inline engine, dry clutch, shaft drive etc.) but the electrics seem to be much more complicated. The bike was bought as a non runner. Some parts are missing, I believe it hasn't run for 10 years.

I've taken it apart & the engine is on the bench. Some nuts & bolts were seized, many were not, which lead me to believe that the bike had been messed with. My suspicions were confirmed when I took the cylinder heads & barrels off. The piston rings are missing on one cylinder. Strange because the piston looks ok as does the cylinder.

I know this will be a long term project, so I'm not rushing into anything. I am trying to establish what is going to be needed.

Also I have not yet decided whether to have the frame shot blasted & powder coated or to rub it down, rust bust it & paint it.

Lots to consider
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 22:37
That's an odd one, missing rings. Makes you wonder why?

Electrics complicated? Have a look at the new breed of Guzzi.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 09:01
Good luck. If you are thinking of pulling the bottom end of the motor down check parts availability first for all the shells etc. Rings on mine were well shot by 55k miles - pistons and bores were good so it was simple enough to just drop new ones in. New rings bedded in fine on the untouched Nigusil bores.
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:45
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Indeed whatever the reason they're missing, why would anyone go to the bother of re-assembly without the rings?
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
waynedear View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waynedear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 12:07
Originally posted by Dukedesmo Dukedesmo wrote:

Indeed whatever the reason they're missing, why would anyone go to the bother of re-assembly without the rings?

I assembled a full bike without a clutch once, I stood back to admire my fully restored RD 400e and tripped over the forgotten clutch
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 13:55
Originally posted by waynedear waynedear wrote:

Originally posted by Dukedesmo Dukedesmo wrote:

I assembled a full bike without a clutch once, I stood back to admire my fully restored RD 400e and tripped over the forgotten clutch

Oops LOL

I rebuilt a 2-stroke single from a kid's MX bike only to find a piston circlip on the bench afterwards.

Stripped it down and it turned out I hadn't actually left it out, rather it was some phantom spare that appeared at random... Ouch
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 14:50
For some reason, when (re)building my Commando clutch, I was always convinced that I hadn't tightened the mainshaft nut. Always after I'd filled it with oil of course (had to drain it to get to the nut), and naturally each time I had indeed tightened it.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 16:55
[QUOTE=cyclobutch] Good luck. If you are thinking of pulling the bottom end of the motor down check parts availability first for all the shells etc.

I second that, the shells for my V50/3 came from Harpers America because the cost in Europe was mega expensive to say the least,in particular the front and rear crankshaft bearings were extortionate. As an idea my complete set of shells (big ends and mains) cost £280 including the import duties at this end, which is close to what the big rear main bearing alone costs in Europe.
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

GC888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 11:31
No rings I would guess that they were broken and someone put it back together to keep all the parts together and clean. There are a lot of 'barn finds' missing head barrel and piston with a crankcase of full of crud! 

If there are no lines on the barrel or piston its not likely you will find the broken rings in the crank case. 

I'm restoring a v35 when I got to the frame i went for a plastic coating company locally; I know they do a good job, for blasting and coating (£55), as it was almost the same cost as decent paint but without the work of cleaning and painting the frame - very happy with the result ! 

Dennis menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 11:39
I have a V35 Mk11 with a V50 engine and it is probably the easiest bike I have worked on. Spares are readily available and they are not too expensive. Gutsibits should have the big end shells and piston rings and they also sell lots of second hand parts. There are a couple of good part sellers on EBay (e.g.'Homernmarj') and I have bought side panels, a tank and wiring harness parts from them. As per advice from this site I wired a feed to the starter motor directly from the battery (via a relay) because the original set up loses power. I would also recommend ditching the voltage regulator and rectifier for a modern combined unit if you still have the old set up.
GC888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 16:27
Originally posted by Dennis menace Dennis menace wrote:

I have a V35 Mk11 with a V50 engine and it is probably the easiest bike I have worked on. Spares are readily available and they are not too expensive. Gutsibits should have the big end shells and piston rings and they also sell lots of second hand parts. There are a couple of good part sellers on EBay (e.g.'Homernmarj') and I have bought side panels, a tank and wiring harness parts from them. As per advice from this site I wired a feed to the starter motor directly from the battery (via a relay) because the original set up loses power. I would also recommend ditching the voltage regulator and rectifier for a modern combined unit if you still have the old set up.

Do you have more info on the regulator and rectifier you used?

paulrob100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulrob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 18:22

Hi, thank you for the replies.

The more I look at the bike the more I am convinced that it had been partly dismantled, probably with a view to doing it up. However it has been put back together & put up for sale. The vendor was a bit vague about the bike, other than to say that a few bits & pieces were missing. Anyway I am happy with what I've got. Its an interesting project.

I am tempted not to split the crankcase. The cylinders look excellent & the pistons are both ok. Apart from then missing rings It looks as though it just needs a decoke & the valves lapped in.

The clutch plate also looks ok, although I will fit a new one.

I am really interested in Dennis`s mod on the regulator & rectifier. The Guzzi electrical system looks complex & I am all for simplicity.

I note what GC888 says about the blasting & powder coating. Ill probably go down that route.

Paul  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 23:55

I am really interested in Dennis`s mod on the regulator & rectifier. The Guzzi electrical system looks complex & I am all for simplicity.

I note what GC888 says about the blasting & powder coating. Ill probably go down that route.

Paul  
[/QUOTE]

The regulator rectifier I used is from Electrex world:

Electrex world

Check it is suitable for your model though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 00:04
Incidentally,

I used a company called Total Wheel Works on Little Tennis street, Nottingham to blast and powder coat a bike frame. They did a good job and charged £60. Make sure you use sacrificial bolts in all threads or you will have to clean them out with thread taps, much easier to sacrifice a few bolts. Seal the headstock bearing cups as powder coat goes everywhere. I used a length of m10 studding from B&Q and large repair washers to seal of the headstock.
paulrob100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulrob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 07:19
thanks Dennis. Interestingly, I live near Nottingham, so I will give Total wheel Works a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic