guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spluttering and backfiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spluttering and backfiring
    Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 17:51
This afternoon I tried to start my 1100i Cali 1995 . I connected it via jump leads to my Disco ,the battery having died, I found out when I attempted to start it a month ago and had to put the jump leads on it . At that time it spluttered into life ,running on one cylinder for 20 secs or so but did clear and run ok . The bike has been fine at starting up until a month ago ,even after being left over the winter before ( winters are long in Scotland ,much salt )
Today it continued to splutter and backfire running for no more than a few secs before stopping , plugs were wet and oily initially on successive attempts they were wet or sooty .
I drained the fuel ( which has been in since November ) poured it into my Kawasaki farm Quad to see if the fuel was off ,but the quad started and ran ok .
Tomorrow I will change the plugs and leads ,put in fresh fuel with injector cleaner in and try again .

ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD CHECK ?
crank position sender ?

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 18:31
a few possibilities look if the inlet rubbers have cracked .....then electrical cleaner "Servisol" is good it cleans and lubricates .... the only other instant thing is the TDC/RPM sensor .... Unipart do one I listed it in the alternative parts car part is under £30 plug n play, guzzi ask £139 for exactly the same part never had fuel ever go off ... it may not be as potent but it tends just to be a bit flat ....
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Drumnagorrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 20:16
Do you have a link to your alternative parts Ken ?
I couldn't find in the alternative parts section ,the position sensor .
I was dubious about the fuel going off , but checked it by sticking it in the quad . just hear such a lot of posts re. modern fuel going off . The humble lawnmower has a crappy flywheel mag but starts every spring after 6 months of abandonment .
Not an air leak , my plugs were fouled ,I am thinking something in the ignition . Now that I have drained the tank , I will take it off and check for corrosion on the contacts through out the system .
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 22:17
3rd page alternative parts Magnetti marelli SEN 813 ....e bay ...same as fiat part and lancia etc about £34 ish .... listed in an update in alternative parts on pg 3 scroll down tdc/rpm sensor if you swap it the alloy spacer is key do not loose it it is literally undo 2 bolts use a sealant use the spacer(s) the plug fits had it happen to my V11 le mans once replaced ...'kin brill may not be but easy fix really ... it is situated on the timing chest top front edge left side just below the oil pressure sender easy to get at
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
theoneandonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoneandonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 11:58
the mapping on 1100i's is terrible in cold weather , you get maybe 3 goes , before you need new plugs .
https://www.facebook.com/BaldricksWorkshop
http://baldricksworkshop.co.uk/

motorcycle slut, if it has wheels and an engine , i will ride it .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 15:24
That's interesting ,yours fouls plugs when very cold ?
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 19:00
Theoneandonly is a mechanic, so presumably this is what he's found with 1100i's (plural - but only guessing) Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 14:01
Well ,I'm hoping that my problem is only plug fouling ,the temp was sub zero ,it has been most of the time for the last month or so.
I wasn't questioning the wisdom ,merely enquiring about what has been experienced . The post would suggest that the fuelling is over rich when the temp sender reads low . Would a quick fix be to warm the sender ( the one on the n/s rocker cover )?
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 14:54
Originally posted by Drumnagorrach Drumnagorrach wrote:

The post would suggest that the fuelling is over rich when the temp sender reads low .

Yes that's my interpretation also. Big smile

Quote Would a quick fix be to warm the sender ( the one on the n/s rocker cover )?

Pour a jug of hot water over it? Not tried similar, but worth an experiment.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 15:51
You could also add a 20k resistor in parallel with the sensor. At low temperatures it will make the ECU think it's about 10 degrees warmer, but would have no effect at higher temps.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 17:24
Not so sure about hot water but maybe the heat gun at a reasonable distance .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 17:28
That's clever, I'm guessing the temp sender has a higher resistance below 10 deg than the 22k ?
theoneandonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoneandonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 12:31
i have a cali ev  ( which has same ecu p8 ) where as my stone ( m15 ) started with a foot of snow on it . 
https://www.facebook.com/BaldricksWorkshop
http://baldricksworkshop.co.uk/

motorcycle slut, if it has wheels and an engine , i will ride it .
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 16:10
Originally posted by Drumnagorrach Drumnagorrach wrote:

That's clever, I'm guessing the temp sender has a higher resistance below 10 deg than the 22k ?
At 0 degrees, the temp sensor has a resistance of 10k ohms
At +10 it's 6k

Add 20k in parallel and you get 6k at 0, so it thinks it's +10.
At +10 you get 4k which equates to +20.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:22

Interesting , Had a couple of Ducati's ,both had the 1.5 and both started fine ,although the motorised pilot air on the S2R 1000 wasnae much use and I had to fit the earlier 916 throttle with the button to hold the throttle open a tad when cold .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic