guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50lll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redmunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:54
£160?? What a deal. Headlights come up nicely!

I’m restoring a V35 in similar condition, dry stored for years. Check the caliper pistons and steering races, on mine the chrome was peeling from both, allowing it to rust from condensation etc.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 14:39
Gutsibits have the alloy caliper pistons if you need them (or at least did a couple of weeks ago).

If the piston was that hard to get out of the master cylinder I'd be looking at replacing it as it's very likely to be scored. I've fitted a Honda 600 Silverwing 11mm bore item to give a bit more lever feel on the front.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
waynedear View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waynedear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 15:54
Made a stand from some offcuts, works great.
Full exhaust removed, silencers are pretty much rust inside, headers and H are usable.
Rear brake reservoir empty, it may explain the rear disc and pads strange coating.
I now have a key for the seat, tank, steering lock, gave timpsons the lock number and they made me one, tank is pretty good inside considering being laid up, needs new filters.
Inside the back wheel were hundreds of dead earwigs, but the bearings are smooth and cush rubbers are good.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 16:20
Be on the road next week then.

Those rear units look huge. Mine has nice slim Hagons fitted.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 17:25
As you have stripped it that far, will you be taking it down to the frame and getting that powder coated or will you be touching it up? Just being nosy!
waynedear View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waynedear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 18:57
Originally posted by V7Chris V7Chris wrote:

As you have stripped it that far, will you be taking it down to the frame and getting that powder coated or will you be touching it up? Just being nosy!

I am not sure yet, currently I’m just messing with it, once I have seen if I can get it running I’ll make a decision, I was walking the dog earlier running a complete nut and bolt restoration through my head, choices, choices
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:29
If it was mine I would be getting it up and running for the summer then deciding on whether a full-on job is worth doing.

Given what you paid for it you can easily spend £1,000 and still be in pocket.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:52
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

If it was mine I would be getting it up and running for the summer then deciding on whether a full-on job is worth doing.

i agree , i also never spend a penny on any bike until ive heard the engine run
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
waynedear View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waynedear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 13:03
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

i agree , i also never spend a penny on any bike until ive heard the engine run

All I am spending is going on finding out if it runs
waynedear View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waynedear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 15:34
I now have an ignition switch with a key, got the key from timpsons after giving the code from the seat lock, that key also opened the fuel flap, got a used ignition with the same code and the new key works perfect
waynedear View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waynedear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 13:38
Well that was lucky, this very morning I removed the valve gear and popped off the heads and barrels and removed the pistons.
Gear lever side had grungy water on top of the piston, possibly the previous owner must have had it with a loose or missing spark plug.
Guess what, absolutely NO DAMAGE
Rings are spot on as nothing seeped down
Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 21:08

It's all coming apart pretty quickly Thumbs Up
It’s more fun to try to ride a slow bike fast .....
waynedear View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waynedear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 22:14
Originally posted by Motty Motty wrote:

It's all coming apart pretty quickly Thumbs Up

It would be a lot faster if I didn’t have the spider to sort and get mot ready and stupid work ringing me
waynedear View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waynedear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:54
Homemade valve spring compressor worked a treat, used an old G clamp and an angle grinder   
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 14:47
I think I can see where you're going wrong. You've put the valve in upside down......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic