guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

converting to Right side shift?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote professorjung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: converting to Right side shift?
    Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 23:47
I've got a 1971 euro V7 SPECIAL and I'd like to convert to ride side shift, left side brake pedal.

Seem to remember that one of the regulars here has already done this

Been studying the parts lists and it seems I'd need only 6 replacement parts (finding them may be another matter)

Gearbox Lever, shaft, and right side shift pedal

Brake pedal, return spring?, and brake spindle...

Everything else seems to be the same on both models, and I believe that the same shift linkage and brake actuating rod can be used on both set-ups (left and right)

Any pitfalls in this conversion?

Thanks in advance!

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 09:27
I did that on my V7 Special some years back.The parts needed for the conversion came from eBay USA and eBay Italia.Once you have the parts the conversion is straightforward.
Good hunting!
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
saultrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 09:37
My 1971 V7 Special has right side gearchange and I'd like to change it to the arrangement that you have. It would be an ideal swap if I wasn't having some building work done and there weren't several pallets of bricks and a skip in front of the door to that particular "shed".
It will be around a month before I can get to the bike, please let me know if you don't find what you need. Phil
Loopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 09:42

It would be well worth giving Mark Etheridge a ring in the states (motoguzziclassics.com) I found a brake pedal and gear shift on American ebay and he supplied the rest, however he would probably have all the parts so it should workout cheaper buying all the bits him. He also knows what you need! Really easy guy to deal with but do ring him as I don’t think he does email. I got my parts in about a week. As Dave P says easy to do. Also emergency stops are much more dignified!
Cheers Ian
Loopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 09:47
Sorry, I misunderstood, I changed from euro left brake to American right brake.
Cheers lan
Loopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 09:53
I also posted before I saw Saultraders reply
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 11:34

professorjung View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote professorjung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 23:29
Thanks guys -

Saultrader -  Great idea, I'm in no great hurry, could be an ideal swap...

just put a post up when you're ready and we'll see if its feasible

good luck with the building work!

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:55
When you look at the gearbox casting even on my V1000 there is a defunct casting there made for the shaft to pass through for the gear change, I guess the brake fittings go to the same Y shaped fitment the gearchange works from ....first noticed it on an old picture of a USA coop bike with left Brake right gear change it was a T3 Cali
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 17:54
Hi.  I'm in the process of changing a left shift box to use in a right shift V7.  The crossover shaft runs in the end casing, as previously noted.  In my case, the casing needs drilled and reamed to take the shaft.  The hole is produced small and would have been machined specially for the right-change bikes.  Or swap with the casing from a right-change box.
Cheers
Roy
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:25
Drilling and reaming??? what vintage is the gearbox?

hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 21:01
The gearbox is of unknown vintage, bought from ebay.  Said to be off a T3.   The crossover shaft does not fit into the hole in the casting - the hole is slightly undersize.  The box has the same part number as my previous 5 speed: 14.20.02.11,  so I speculate that the casting hole would only bored to the correct size if and when the bike was being built for a right hand side gearchange. 
Another possibility is that my crossover shaft is oversized for some reason.

Edited by hendy - 23 Feb 2018 at 21:07
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 14:50
The hole was never machined on 850-T and T3 transmissions, because by then that casting was redundant and Guzzi just hadn't removed that section from the rear cover mould yet. Since neither of those bikes utilizes that bore for the shift linkage (the Eldorado/850 GT was the last to), it isn't finish machined.
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 16:10
Ah Hendy, when you mentioned a V7 I wrongly assumed that it would have the original four-speed box.Hence my wonderment at the need for drilling and reaming.

hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 19:01
I did try to source a 4-speeder, but they are apparently like "hens' teeth".  As you gathered the existing (noisy) box is a 5-speed.  It has presumably been fitted for similar reasons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic