guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

click no crank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: click no crank
    Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 12:15
2008 motoguzzi sport 1200
Back reading the thread again.
brand new battery, new ignition relay, wiring mod done
bikes for sale
I've just cancelled the viewing because of the frustration of click no crank
Everything works
changed the B 15 amp fuse ( it was not looking healthy ) and broke up as I removed it
So key in , turn, much normal whirring,
press start
click from below battery
Nothing
Bike back into the shed in disgust
oh
I also tried rocking in gear ....Still nothing
Clearly being kept wrapped up in the shed for two months it's decided
it wants to stay in hibernation
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 12:40
OK calm down these newer bikes have a few micro switches that get corroded up when left alone. the start cct is fairly simple the cut outs are:-
1) On the clutch lever a micro switch in the lever, same as the one that operates the front brake "Servisol" is your friend here spray it and leave
2) Side stand switch again a spray
3) This one caused me grief on my V11 Le mans it is under the starter but unlike the nice spade terminals on the older bikes it was a button that a spade female just hooks up to , I had to clean and re crimp to make a good joint.
4) Make sure the micro relay is good if they are the same as the V11 Le Mans the Siemens and Bosch are not that good and cause this grief IF they are those get new ones from Pyro Dan in the USA he is good and real quick to post them these are way superior to the oem ones
5 If all that is done and you have Physically checked the main battery cables The earth can and will corrode.

If the starter churns over when you put a screwdriver from small tag to main bolt then the only thing left is the start solenoid buddy, my bet is a corroded connection tho'

It is a simple but annoying check through .... occasionally the battery even tho' new can be faulty ...My son had this very issue on his CBR600 after having a new battery checked it was a corroded earth terminal not easily seen replaced he reckons bike is better than it ever was, sorry if you have done all this already ...

The Older i Get, The Better I Was
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 14:36
The battery is a brand new out of the box warranty replacement from M&P today. To replace the 7 month old motobatt battery that had failed.
Anyway snow and hails stopped play until tomorrow.
Cheers

I'll update you on the bike soon
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 14:58
Battery brand new out of the box? Don't assume it comes fully charged, it won't.

Charge it up overnight and try again tomorrow. A partly charged new battery will do this.

On the Norge, most of the safety bits prevent the starter motor from turning, so you would hear nothing when the button is pressed.
Unfortunately it's also almost impossible to get at the terminals on the end of the solenoid.

But if you haven't done so, check the earth cable which is fixed to the engine by the top bolt of the starter cover. It's not a good design and quite often comes loose.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 16:08
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Battery brand new out of the box? Don't assume it comes fully charged, it won't.

Charge it up overnight and try again tomorrow. A partly charged new battery will do this.

On the Norge, most of the safety bits prevent the starter motor from turning, so you would hear nothing when the button is pressed.
Unfortunately it's also almost impossible to get at the terminals on the end of the solenoid.

But if you haven't done so, check the earth cable which is fixed to the engine by the top bolt of the starter cover. It's not a good design and quite often comes loose.

out of the box yesterday and trickle charged to full on the motobatt charger before fitted.
it's so cold here I'm tackling this stater tomorrow
I currently have to work on my hands and knees on the driveway
2hrs on my hands and knees was enough today
yes its cold outside here (zero degrees all day )

I'll update the thread tomorrow
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 17:10
Would it be worth adding another earth from battery if you think your earth is good just in case there is a problem there , I did this on me sport
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 21:02
That can't do any harm, but check the existing one first.

The only other problem I encountered with my Norge (and this would be worst when very cold) was that there was some sticky grease on the solenoid plunger which was slowing it down to the point that you just got a clunk. This must have been put in when assembled new.
I cleaned it out, checked the pivot on the arm was clear too, then put a smear of light oil on the brass before reassembling. That seemed to improve things.
Many will advocate reassembling the plunger clean, as oil may attract muck over time. Brass is inherently slippery.

I do appreciate your frustration. Hope it's warmer in the morning.
Brian.

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 06:57
Brian that makes perfect sense , Guzzi use grease only on a part that could do without it lol
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 08:37
I suspect the manufacturer of the starter was responsible, keeping Guzzi's reputation for lack of grease intact.
Brian.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 10:21
My first V50 way back in 1984 or so wouldn't start when it was hot - a long time ago so can't remember exactly what the symptoms were but think it was a refusal of the starter motor to turn over. I do remember that going for a coffee let it cool down so it was OK.

I surmised that something in the starter motor was expanding and partially seizing but never investigated. It just meant I had to keep riding rather than stopping!
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 13:11
Granular grease in the solenoid
stripped cleaned and sorted.😆
one slight problem was 5000rmp,20mph no tick tock clock fuel gauge full
when switched off!!!!
Disconnected battery, count to 20.
reconnect
All reset

Phew

Thanks for the assistance
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 14:56
If you are at all hesitant when reconnecting the battery, you can get that sort of problem as the ECU starts to wake up then is disconnected again and gets confused.
You did the right thing, disconnect battery, wait the reconnect firmly so you don't flash the connection on and off.

Anyway, pleased you got to the bottom of the non start.

Why Bosch put grease in there to start with I don't know as it hardens with age and heat.
Brian.

magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 15:55
I was beginning to think that the bike doesn't want a new home
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 09:26
Aye tis putting up a few tantrums
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 13:40
Still throwing a bit of a hiss fit.
click clunk no start.
solenoid throws in (that's the clunk)
Still no start.
So I removed the starter motor
I used a battery starter pack to check the motor
All appears ok
then a thought
The starter bendix moves up the shaft ok
but
if you put your fingers on the bendix cog
you can push it the wrong way (just)
Could be the stater motor bendix is the fault
that might explain why this is intermittent fault?

Do I need a new starter motor?

Ideas anyone
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic