guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Image experiment.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 19:03
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

There is no way Postimage can know that a visitor from this forum has signed in there.
You can see the pictures posted, that's all they supply.

That seems to be the case, so fair enough. Clicking on it will get you into postimage IF you have an account, and can log in there. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 20:19

Having opened an account with Post Image and posted this image,I tried clicking on it to see if it would appear on the hosting site,as does the AJS picture.It doesn't,so I've no idea why that should be.Still,it'a a useful vehicle for posting pictures and as yet is still free.

Edited by Dave P. - 14 Feb 2018 at 20:26
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 20:30
Doh - OK. Thanks.

Mine came fitted with the single seat and 'straight' rear crashbars, but also a dual seat and 'cranked' crash bars as your pics show. I'd like to run her two up occasionally but can't see how a pillion could get comfortable. I could go without bars altogether for such a foray but have some rather splendid in period glass fibre boxes on the back I can imagine having a nasty accident with.
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
alanw View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 14:56
Hi Dave, just wanted to say your bike looks beautiful in that colour. Another left field question though, (I have an identical bike in the same colour). Would you know what colour it is so I can look for some touch-up paint?
How do you find the front brake, I'm about to change the linings to "green grippers" and have them and the drum machined to suit. Have you done something similar?
Thanks and happy riding, Alan
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 00:00
https://www.mgcn.nl/database/mg-kleurcodes
Click the link for the colour codes.These are from the Dutch club website.
Green Brake linings, Is this the old Ferodo AM4 material? If so I didn't know it was still available.Apparently, it contains asbestos
I've done nothing special to my front brake apart from setting it up very carefully.As 1960's TLS brakes go it is very good and I'm quite satisfied with it.It works better with a heavy duty cable, not the skinny thing that is generally sold for it.And the cable which incorporates a brake light switch is best avoided,It makes the action very spongey.Ferodo AM4 linings were really intended for racing and don't work well unless they are up to temperature, or so I understand.
Take your time setting up the brake.Get the lever angles right and you will have a brake which is very good given its vintage.

Edited by Dave P. - 20 Feb 2018 at 00:25

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 00:14
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_brake_adjustment.html

Read this article, if you haven't already,it's very instructive.The last photo showing the linkage is what you're after.This gives maximum leverage when the brake is applied.
Good luck.

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:56
Hi Dave dont leave it like this ,lets have a full size picture of your bikeThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 23:36

There y'are Johnno.Just for you.

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 05:24
It really is a piece of Art
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
alanw View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:35
Hi Dave, thanks very much for the information and advice. Have tried to post a picture of my bike showing the brake linkage etc but with no success. I've already set the linkage up as per Greg Bender and I'm informed the green gripper linings are the nearest to the old Ferodo green but non asbestos and woven with non ferrous content and definitely not hard. I'm also going to look for the thicker cables without the front brake light switch....and it looks like cherry red's the colour. All the best,Alan
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 13:16
Hi Alanw. I got a little confused, when you mentioned the colour of the bike and stated that yours is identical.I thought you were reffering to the white V7 with TLS brake.Now I see you were referring to the red 850 with 4ls front brake.Oh well, the article covered both types.
I'll be interested to know how you get on with the Green Gripper linings.They are a new one on me.Please give us a report when appropriate.

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:08
Further experiment
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:12
Bad news:
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:02
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

https://www.mgcn.nl/database/mg-kleurcodes
Click the link for the colour codes.These are from the Dutch club website.
Green Brake linings, Is this the old Ferodo AM4 material? If so I didn't know it was still available.Apparently, it contains asbestos
I've done nothing special to my front brake apart from setting it up very carefully.As 1960's TLS brakes go it is very good and I'm quite satisfied with it.It works better with a heavy duty cable, not the skinny thing that is generally sold for it.And the cable which incorporates a brake light switch is best avoided,It makes the action very spongey.Ferodo AM4 linings were really intended for racing and don't work well unless they are up to temperature, or so I understand.
Take your time setting up the brake.Get the lever angles right and you will have a brake which is very good given its vintage.

Dave, have you found a supplier for an off-the-shelf thicker front brake cable? I am thinking about getting one made by Venhill but a cheaper alternative would be good.
Cheers
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 12:00
That back wheel looks at a funny angle......

And surely that's not a 2012 registration?
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic