guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7 Special re-wire.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7 Special re-wire.
    Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:40
I've decided to completely re-wire the old V7 Special.I'm buying the correct coloured cable so as to match the wiring diagram then adding my own colour coding for the extra lighting, indicators and relays.The three headlamps are supplied by relays in deference to the dubious ability of the lighting switch to carry the increased load.My question is this; Do any issues arise if using thin wall cable.I want to use thin wall to reduce the bulk of the harness, especially around the steering head.I wonder if none insulated terminals crimp as well on thin wall cable as they do on conventional cable.
Any advice gratefully received,thank you.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:52
Thin wall cable is generally better.

If you are going to crimp the connectors, make sure you get a really good quality tool to do the job. If that's not available, solder them.

Those cheap non insulated connectors can cause lots of issues with poor crimping.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:06
Don't you mean "insulated"? I hate them with a passion. So many decent restorations are ruined by a collection of red & blue crimps.

I've been soldering cables (control & electrical) for 50 years with no problems. For Lucar spade connectors, I use either the VWP soft PVC covers or sometimes black heatshrink which looks tidy on older bikes.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:10
I have several good quality crimping tools having re-wired a number of bikes.Mostly British, therefore fairly simple, and several Laverdas.I'm not sure what you mean by "cheap none insulated connectors" What kind of terminals would you use?

c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:10
Thin wall cable is now the automotive industry standard but as Brian says it`s the crimping that`s important especially if using original spec connectors which would have been made for thick wall cable. The core size is the most important as if its too small then it will overheat and transmit to the rest of the loom.
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:15
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/2

These are the type of terminals I use.Along with separate insulators.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:16
Most cables specified by manufacturers are on the thin side, core wise. As you are going for thin wall, worth going up on core size too if you can, depending on which circuit.

Power feeds to headlight relays should be thick as should the feed via the start relay to the solenoid.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 15:19
Why not just buy a ready-made harness built to your specs.?
http://thisoldtractor.com/for_sale_wiring_harness_loop.html
Greg's harnesses are very high quality and reasonably priced (IMO). They're what I use when replacing the wiring on customer's and my own Guzzis.
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 16:01
Don't you get hit with carriage & import duty?

Oh, just noticed you're over that side yourself. But Dave isn't.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 16:23
I could,, of course, buy one of Greg Benders ready made harnesses and I'm sure they are excellent.However, mine will be custom made because of the none stsndard extra lighting, indicators, relays and modern blade type fuse board which requires female Lucar terminals.
Also,I like making wiring harnesses.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:27
Me too. Wiring is one of my favourite activities till I burn my fingers on a newly soldered connector.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:17
Nothing like the satisfaction of making your own loom. I agree about having a kosher crimping tool.

I wanted to replace my 850 harness with like for like, pretty much, so bought "normal" wire from Vehicle Wiring Products, and the connectors and crimping tool from Rapid Electonics. Connectors for different wire guages, 22 - 18 for single wires and 16 - 14 for doubled-up wires or thick wires.

15-way plug block from VWP and others were 12-way Mate-N-Lok from Rapid.

Story here, go down to "Posted: 12 May 2013"

http://livinginthepast-audioweb.co.uk/index.php?p=guzzi-rebuild

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Amboman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amboman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 14:37
I too like making some of the smaller harnesses - I was doing that just last night on a customer's Eldorado. But, most of the time, it's far less time consuming (which means less $$ for the customer) to buy harnesses from Greg. Greg will build harnesses to my spec. (which includes extra lighting, different fuse blocks, etc.). He also offers a "relay solution" which adds relays for the headlight high and low beams. 

Didn't mean to "ruffle any feathers" by suggesting buying a harness.
Charlie
'69 Ambassador,'71 Ambassador,'73 Eldorado,'75 Eldorado police,'76 Convert,'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada,'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 14:51
Not at all, but we have to bear in mind that for us that's plus shipping from the US, and I expect the tax people will want their pound of flesh on top as well.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 15:48
No feathers ruffled here Charlie.I just enjoy wiring and like the sense of satisfaction when the job is done.........and it works

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic