guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

float setting on le mans 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: float setting on le mans 2
    Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 23:34
Does anyone out there KNOW the carb float level settings on the Le mans 2? I have looked in the Haines book, Guzzi book and in Delorto chart 'on line' and it seems it could be 18 or 24 mil: but which? Also, the method of setting them is wrong in the Haines book but their setting is the same as the one in the Guzzi book. I would appreciate it if some one could say what it should be for sure.

swede in the shed
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 08:37
I would use the Dellorto method for setting the float height.

The Dellorto manual is in the FAQ section.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
swede View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 09:52
I'll check that. I've set them at the guzzi book setting at the moment, just cos it looks right.
swede in the shed
swede View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 10:08
How do I get FAQs?
swede in the shed
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 11:09
Frequently asked questions section
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 12:54
Brian.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 17:12
Page 8. Carb is PHF36 so float height is 17.5 - 18.5mm.

But note also says: "Whenever the float or float-arm position does not correspond to the proper specified level setting or is not parallel to the float chamber face, bend the float arms carefully to set the correct position."

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
swede View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 23:11
Thanks for that everyone, guess I'd better get them off again and set them to 18 mil.
swede in the shed
Keef Mayhem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keef Mayhem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 02:06
Well in this genuine guzzi manual it gives a setting of 23.5mm as its fitted with 10gram floats on a LM2, page 16/
Confused  now ?

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/workshop_manual_850-le-mans-ii.pdf

This is the manual the LM2  additional manual refers to, page 64. they dont make it easy do they !

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/workshop_manual_g5_sp.pdf

So many bikes, so little time !
rbt1548 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbt1548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 10:08
I know you mentioned float heights in your post, got an answer and probably know fine well how to set them.
This might help in measuring?

When I had to put a new float into one of my carbs last year, as one float bulb must have punctured and contained petrol, therefore unbalancing the float set up, I found it a bit of a pain to try and measure it properly with a vernier gauge or rule, I made up a simple tool from a piece of flat modelling plastic, (any old flat piece of plastic would do, or a cut up credit cardTongue).
I made it in the shape of a square U   l_l   the width of the float chamber,  with the indent for the float height cut out at the correct height.
It is just then a case of making sure the carb is level and fitting the tool over the floats until it sits on the carb edge and adjusting the floats  until they touch the indent
1975 Honda CB750 K5
1958 Wife

It wisnae me, a big boy done it and ran away!

"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now!"
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:56
Originally posted by Keef Mayhem Keef Mayhem wrote:

Well in this genuine guzzi manual it gives a setting of 23.5mm 

I set mine per the Guzzi manual, works fine. I don't know what the implications of using 18mm would be? but it seems a big difference to me.
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:06
Robert, I made up almost exactly the same tool out of thin aluminium. I slotted the side pieces and used small bolts so that the measurement could be changed for different carbs.

Edited by Brian UK - 11 Feb 2018 at 12:11
Brian.

rbt1548 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbt1548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 21:40
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Robert, I made up almost exactly the same tool out of thin aluminium. I slotted the side pieces and used small bolts so that the measurement could be changed for different carbs.

Using metal is probably a better idea as it's less likely to flex Thumbs Up
1975 Honda CB750 K5
1958 Wife

It wisnae me, a big boy done it and ran away!

"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now!"
Keef Mayhem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keef Mayhem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 00:18
Dukedesmo :
My understanding that a higher fuel level in the float bowl will richen the mixture up everywhere in the range, the reason for the different heights is to do with the different weight floats availlable, a heavier float will displace more fuel and therefore would need a bigger setting than a lighter float so to me its reasonable to think the 18mm setting is for 8.5 gram floats and the 23.5mm setting is for 10 grams
Its late, does that make any sense ?
So many bikes, so little time !
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:56
Just FYI I only ever had 14 gram floats, for both PHF and VHB carbs, in either case, the float "height" was the bottom and metal arms being parallel to the float chamber seal face. 23.5mm I think, at least for the VHB. Did have a card template but not sure if I've still got it.

Did once have a carb which came with 10g floats but couldn't see how to set the height for those without the angle of the metal arms looking stupid, so discarded in favour of 14g.

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic