guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Le Mans II & Marzocchi shocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LemansII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Le Mans II & Marzocchi shocks
    Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 18:49
hi,

I'm looking for some help / advice.....

couple of years ago i bought a 1981 Le Mans II.

it's got Lafranconis (awesome Big smile ) fitted on Tarozzi rear set brackets (awesome again - make the bike actually comfortable to ride  Big smile).

It also has Marzocchi Strada AG shocks fitted (the red ones with the air pressure reservoir).

However, these are fitted upside down, with the reservoir at the back,  i think probably because there is no space for the reservoir to be at the bottom, with the Lafranconis fitted.

My question is, does anyone know if the Marzocchis will work properly when fitted upside down?

thanks for any help anybody can give on this,

regards
Martin

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 16:32
I used those on my Spada and am pretty sure I had the reservoirs at the bottom and in front. Spada silencers are upswept same as LM.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
LemansII View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LemansII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 17:26
Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying and the info.
I also had them on a Le Mans II first time round, way back.

The Le Mans backs then even with standard pipes meant the reservoir would only go at the bottom if fitted to the back.
On the current Le Mans the Lefranconis are so tight to the bottom shock mount that there’s only room for a standard single coil shock.

So it’s either upside down, or new shocks !!!!!
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 18:30
Originally posted by LemansII LemansII wrote:

would only go at the bottom if fitted to the back.

Could well be, was 30 years ago. Big smile Come to think of it probably more difficult to get the pump syringe on if fitted forward.

-

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 18:55
Found this overhaul manual -

http://evolutionsuspensionproducts.com/Downloads/Marzocchi_AG_Strada_Manual.pdf

Can't find any photos of them fitted upside down.

jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 20:42
Originally posted by LemansII LemansII wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying and the info.
I also had them on a Le Mans II first time round, way back.

The Le Mans backs then even with standard pipes meant the reservoir would only go at the bottom if fitted to the back.
On the current Le Mans the Lefranconis are so tight to the bottom shock mount that there’s only room for a standard single coil shock.

So it’s either upside down, or new shocks !!!!!

(Almost) all piggyback shocks are designed with the cartridge on top, it seems to make more sense as the heavier half is then "suspended weight". the Marzocchis have the logo the other way round, it's pretty mysterious, but I wouln't hesitate to try & use them cartridge up before "new shocks !!!!!" !
LemansII View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LemansII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 16:16
thanks very much for the info.
Makes a lot of sense what you say about having the weight as sprung rather than un-sprung. That was my thinking too.
Just Marzocchi being strange I guess.

Will definitely get the shocks refurbed and mount with the reservoir at the top.

cheers,
Martin
Gianni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gianni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 17:45
I had those sexy red shocks on my LM back in the day.

Stiff is the word that springs (tee hee) to mind...

Perhaps a pair of Konis might be a better solution, though not as sexy of course.
Le Mans 1, Spada, Cali 1, T3 Mongrel, Le Mans V, Quota x 2, Stelvio TT
Kidneb View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidneb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 16:45
Hi LemansII

I`ve seen people mounting shocks with reservoirs upside down through the years, never tried it myself though.
Found this,- showing Revival Cycles having no scruples mounting them that way either : Moto Guzzi Le Mans by Revival Cycles — Higher City Wedding Films
Shocks are "revalved" though, whatever that includes.
Try it out, see how it goes !

Ciao
                Ben

LemansII View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LemansII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 19:06
thanks guys for the info and pictures.
going to refurb the shocks, but (this might be heresy) I'm going to paint them gold to match the gold on my black and gold Coburn & Hughes LM II.
(they were already gold when I bought the bike)
John B View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:07
Marzocchi are aftermarket so go for gold (or any other finish for that matter).

I like the Laverda grey treatment but can't be bothered changing the colour and mounting them upside down might avoid rubbing on the brake caliper.

The down side are that they will need re-valving, and in standard form, are prone to shaft seal oil seepage.

ronza129 View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronza129 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 15:07
"My question is, does anyone know if the Marzocchis will work properly when fitted upside down?"

Marzocchis have never worked, either way up
LemansII View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LemansII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 13:54
hi John
thanks for the reply.
can i ask, when you say 're-valving', is that just a standard refurb / rebuild or something more specific?

LemansII View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LemansII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 13:56
hi ronza129

you could well be right. 
I'll get the Strada's refurbed, as they were original to the bike when i bought it . 
then if they don't work, I'll store them and put on some Ikons
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 17:44
They improved my Spada, so the stock shocks must have been REALLY bad. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic