guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 1983 850cc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 1983 850cc
    Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 21:32
Hi all I'm new here and to Guzzis I've bought a 1983 T5 which is very neglected and the right cylinder is not firing until the revs get up to about 3,000 compression is 150 psi left and 130psi right (I've checked valve clearance) would that cause this? It had new rings fitted buy some previous owner but I'm thinking that the bore might be damaged is it worth getting them re- coated or replace the barrels (just thinking ahead of strip down) the other question is has anyone bought breaded brake lines from Wesmoto and were they happy with their products? That's all for now I'm sure I'll have many more questions soon and thanks for any advice and for letting me join this forum.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 22:09
I would think in terms of lapping the valve seats in first. Probably the RH exhaust valve is not too good.
But 130 isn't really low enough to cause problems.

Other things to check, spark plugs - try swapping them left to right, see if the fault changes too. Same can apply to HT cables and coils.

Is one carb out of tune? That could give the problem you have too.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Surfrider Barry View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 23:04
Thanks Brian I thought 130 would still be good enough but being new to Guzzis I thought I'd ask I did switch plugs with a little bit better and it has good sparks with the plug resting on the head. I'll do the coils and lead changes first and see what happens. To be continued
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 05:35
I put new plugs and leads in today and it runs better but still when I take the left plug cap off it stalls but when I take the right lead off it slows but doesn't stall and theirs a lot of back pressure when I removed the dipstick at idle. It's got the breathing to the frame but there's no ball valve in the line is this normal?
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:48
Is your t5 still on points ?
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 11:10
No points Pirana electronic ign
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 18:00
Is the trigger magnetic or optical?

-

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 19:23
I'm sure Mike how do you tell? I'll take the cover off today and have a look and see if I can post a picture.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 21:20
If it's optical, dirt on the pickups can cause a misfire. Not uncommon. Clean them.

This is why it always helps to give a full description of things that are not standard.
Brian.

Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 22:13
I will clean and I should have said elect ign sorry, the other question do I need to keep the exhorts cross over equalizer thing or can I just have 2 independent pipes? I've just been reading about chroming failed in the bore so will drain oil today as well. The guy that I bought it off didn't have much history and it has very clean oil so I'm very weary
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 22:50
I thought they had gone to Nikasil by 1983.

The exhaust cross piece does help mid range and getting the balance between the pots right.
Brian.

Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 00:38
Thanks Brian    I have just finished cleaning the sump and all parts in it and all is good no debris at all and it looks I'll have to keep the cross over exhaust pipe. Can anyone tell me an equivalent oil filter to car type or do I have to go genuine?
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 08:48
Gutsibits list it as  UFI 23 149 00  - its what i boght for my '86 T5  costs £9.70 plus post,  order up any small parts you need at the same time and save on postage
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 08:59
On the Newtronics / Piranha box disconnect the rectangular plug held in by two wee Philips screws. The small blade terminals may need a clean / degrease.

Check your plug leads are pushed fully home into the coils.

Check the spade connectors on the coils and give them a nip up.

Cheers
Min
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 09:31
Opie Oils also sell the filters, get a forum discount too.

Any cross referenced filter will work though.
Brian.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic