guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cali 1100wind deflector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelybin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cali 1100wind deflector
    Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 17:41
Guzzi all back in one piece with new driven gear plate in rear wheel and (hopefully) all oil leaks fixed. Now to fix the head buffeting. Ive tried various combinations of screen height and angle with no great success. Do any of you have any experience of the clip on adjustable wind deflector as seen on flea bay for about £25?
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 18:31
Have you tried pushing the screen *forward*?  Recommended to me, for my T3 Cali, by another forum member, and it worked for me. I did it by 'spacing out' the top screen mounts about 2cm.  You need to slacken all mounts off, of course, to do that, else something will ping!
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 18:31
I had a laminar lip on my 1100i bit to be honest didn't really need it. I am 5'11'' and could sit at 80 all day with flip up helmet opened with no wind blast. If you have a Barn Door screen it should do the job, moving the top forward half an inch with some rubber spacers can help dramatically but make sure you loosen off the bottom screws
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
wheelybin View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelybin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 19:30
CryThanks, I tried all that but to no real benefit, over 80it makes my glasses rattle too much to see safely.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 21:05
Have you tried driving at less than 80?
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 21:56
Do you have the big barn door screen or a smaller one
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
wheelybin View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelybin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 22:10
Its the smaller type, it does not go below the headlight

cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 08:52
Originally posted by Barry Barry wrote:

Or swapping out your glasses for contact lenses?
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 09:59
Originally posted by cyclobutch cyclobutch wrote:

Originally posted by Barry Barry wrote:

Or swapping out your glasses for contact lenses?
Barry so funny lol
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
A65Rocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A65Rocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:21
I have both the medium & large windscreens.

The medium one (with chrome flat trim) rattles my head too much above 50 mph.

The Large one, pulls me forward with the low pressure area being created behind the screen.

On a long wet ride, I would choose the Large screen.

The bike is a 1997 EV, I have had the same problem using Jackel handlebars and the EV bars.
Thrash- Bang - Rebuild
V100S Mandello
RX4 sidecar (gets fitted randomly)
BSA A65 Rocket
BSA M23 Empire Star
BSA D14/4
Honda Bros 400
Can you see a BSA theme yet?
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 11:41
Any chance of a photo? Looking at pix on the web the 1100i stock screen I see there seems to be very far forward, making it a long way from the rider's head. (?) And possibly too low, is this the 'low screen'?

I'm guessing wheely is not using a full face helmet? Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 11:49
Did loads of faffing about with the V1000 these are my conclusions for what it is worth

The older V7 and T3 Cali along with the Convert & G5 share the same screen these were designed for use by a Motor officer WITH open lid and crucially a peak. Bear that in mind.

After years of experimentation INCLUDING adding a "lip"this is what I found works.

1) get the height adjustment right, you will need help as you need to sit on the bike as you would when riding (centre stand works for this)
Get a straight edge and level the top of the screen so it is about level with your neck, adams' apple if you will. Adjust screen height as close as you can to that.

2) space the top edge forward from standard about 1" I found that a short length of the chromed 3/8 heating pipe works well one of those small pipe cutters is not only accurate the pipe is thicker and the cutter leaves an inward facing bevel.
You will need longer bolts and extra washers I used domed allen head bolts and black rubber tap washers as the in between outer washer and the spacer so the screen does not crack.
Loosen the lower bolts so the top can move forward OR it WILL crack the screen.
Gently tighten the top then the bottom it is important even with oem fittings not to over tighten the bolts

More than one has followed this advice and it seems to work.

Another thing I found out that different helmets react differently, the smoother without the sports type air foils built in I had one lid that was like having my head in a washing machine. I bought it to use with the V11 Le Mans it was perfect on that bike but on the V1000 the buffeting was awful. Best I found was the bottom end Arai without the vanes .... no buffeting at all , The helmet makes a huge difference.

The Older i Get, The Better I Was
wheelybin View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelybin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:23
Picture attached hopefully. No I use a full face Shoei and I can t change to contact lenses - vari focals time of life!

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:41
Yes that's like what I was seeing on the web. Screen seems very forward, actually looks quite odd, to me anyway.

Alternatively, lower screen + full face, to get more of a steady stream over the helmet, will be smoother if possibly noisier. Also found that way is better for clearing rain off the visor.

@ Guzzibear very good explanation. Thumbs Up

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:45
Originally posted by wheelybin wheelybin wrote:

No I use a full face Shoei and I can t change to contact lenses - vari focals time of life!

Nor me either, prescription much too complex. Since I was 16, so have always used full face helmets since started riding, so choice mainly dictated by having to wear spectacles all the time.

-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic