guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possible new bike -63 Plate 1200 sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojoguzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible new bike -63 Plate 1200 sport
    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 09:34
Thinking of chopping in my 2005 Breva 1100 for a 2013 1200 sport.

What year did the factory roller update come in and any thoughts on main differences between them?

Is maintenance on valve train difficult?
2005 Breva1100 in Red with GPR can.
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 10:14
I believe that the rollers arrived in late 2008.????

Generally a complete black rocker cover denotes rollers and 4v heads.
many were factory recalled to be modified ( many weren't! )

Expensive out of warranty repair

That's why I bought the last of the 2v head 1200 sport

Sometimes older technology is just better in the long run.
my bike had its rocker covers powder coated when it was rebuilt / restored in 2016/2017.
[IMG]http://tm-img.com/images/2017/09/24/20170924_120933.jpg[/IMG

Edited by magwa - 31 Dec 2017 at 13:37
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 10:15
If you look at the top of this CARC bikes section you will find it listed.
Unfortunately the information above is way out. First roller cams came out around 2012. But even the dates posted by Guzzi are to be taken with the proverbial pinch of salt.
The only certain way of knowing is to take the rocker cover off and look.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Steve S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 10:25
The roller cams came in 2012 but were never fitted to a 1200 Sport because the model ended in 2012, the one you are looking at is a late registered bike
Valve maintenance is no different, if you buy one that has not been upgraded to rollers it needs to be cheap, there's one for sale in Dartford with a new roller cam engine fitted

Edited by Steve S - 31 Dec 2017 at 13:31
2021 V85tt
mojoguzzi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojoguzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 14:08
Steve that's the one I am looking at!
 On reading the full description says new engine at 16k so may have been after 2014?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 14:39
Even so, I would check for myself.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
mojoguzzi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojoguzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 15:14
OK Thanks for heads up guys, will contact them after New year.
Steve S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 15:22
They say it has a roller cam engine so it should be fine, I've just sold a 14 plate one for £5500 so it's a fair price
2021 V85tt
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 16:59
I'd be wary of any bike that needed a "new" engine after 16k.....
just saying
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
mojoguzzi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojoguzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 17:03
I hear what you are saying Magwa but if it was feckked because of the flat cams then it is understandable?
I am sure I read of at least a few owners who needed complete rebuilds when the tappets/cams broke up and affected cranks etc.
rbt1548 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbt1548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 19:39
Originally posted by magwa magwa wrote:

I'd be wary of any bike that needed a "new" engine after 16k.....
just saying

I'd be happy if I got a new engine at 16k, the engine has probably failed for some reason and a 'new' one fitted, as long as it's the correct engine for the bike, and someone's not made a special, I don't see a problem, someone's won a watch.  I can see the point if you are putting an new engine into a old Vincent, but a new Guzzi engine into an not too old Guzzi?

I'd be more wary of one that has had, for some reason, a complete make over.

By the way what does "just saying " mean?

Edited by rbt1548 - 31 Dec 2017 at 19:54
1975 Honda CB750 K5
1958 Wife

It wisnae me, a big boy done it and ran away!

"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now!"
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 20:12
You know Magwa, I agree entirely with Rbt's comments.

An engine, no matter how new can fail for a multitude of reasons all of which are probably innocent. If a new engine has been fitted is this not a plus?

In terms of having reservations, I would be far more wary of buying a bike such as yours that has had a custom paint job.

Was it done because someone fancied doing it to a perfectly good original bike or was it to cover up a previously damaged but unrecorded bike on the cheap?

I'm not for one second suggesting that this is the case with your bike, in fact I would seriously doubt that it was, but just like you were overly suspicious of the Stelvio that was bought cheaply but was found to be genuine, I can see why SOME prospective buyers could be wary of yours.

Just sayin

Edited by Tarquin - 31 Dec 2017 at 21:11
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 21:13
Yeap I had a landrover freelander 1.8 k series new
so two cylinder heads on engine number one.
second new engine
needed another cylinder head on that
I got rid as soon as the warranty was up.
poor design tat
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 21:17
Originally posted by Tarquin Tarquin wrote:

An engine, no matter how new can fail for a multitude of reasons all of which are probably innocent. If a new engine has been fitted is this not a plus?

In terms of having reservations, I would be far more wary of buying a bike such as yours that has had a custom paint job.

Was it done because someone fancied doing it to a perfectly good original bike or was it to cover up a previously damaged but unrecorded bike on the cheap?

I'm not for one second suggesting that this is the case with your bike, in fact I would seriously doubt that it was, but just like you were overly suspicious of the Stelvio that was bought cheaply but was found to be genuine, I can see why SOME prospective buyers could be wary of yours.

Just sayin

Yeap and wrnkley of this forum bought that "stelvio" ands doing a grand job on it.

incidentally wrnkley refurbished my motoguzzi sport
it's a genuine machine

so I can be wrong
" just saying"
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 21:22
Originally posted by magwa magwa wrote:

Originally posted by Tarquin Tarquin wrote:

Just sayin

Yeap and wrnkley of this forum bought that "stelvio" ands doing a grand job on it.

incidentally wrnkley refurbished my motoguzzi sport
it's a genuine machine

so I can be wrong
" just saying"

Yes, I'm fully aware of all of that. I'm certain that your bike is a genuine bike and by the same token the one with the new engine will be a genuine bike.

It looks like he is nearing the end of the Stelvio refurb and no doubt has made a cracking job of it.
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic