guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

California Vintage 2007.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: California Vintage 2007.
    Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 11:48
I am considering buying a California Vintage with about 17K miles on it. Its priced about 4.5 K Stg. and appears to be in reasonable condition. I have read conflicting accounts about tappet adjustment being mechanical / hydraulic. Any clarification or advice on this particular variant gratefully anticipated.

I did search the forum posts but nothing coming back...I apologise if this topic has already been covered!

Have a Happy New Year!

John.
jog53
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 13:30
These bikes don't come up very often I would buy if it's in blk and white colour scheme . The valves I don't know about for sure but it's a cracker for me I'm sure valves are mechanical
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 14:03
Thanks, johnno. Shes black and white. Strangely, seller states problem with side-stand ! Viewing it tomorrow. They do look sweet.....Have an 1100i pulling a sidecar and love that engine. Any problems with ergonomics ? Im 6-3 and read that tall riders get a hard time getting comfy....
jog53
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 14:13
When I rode one I wanted to buy one it was the first cruiser that made me think about owning that style of bike , it fitted me perfect but I'm only 5 8
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 14:16
Could take a grinder to the cylinder heads I suppose...!
jog53
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 14:45
Buy it.
IanB View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 14:48
Hydro tappets are not a problem with the Vintage.

Peeling chrome and taillights that drop off, however...  Big smile
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 15:28
Darryl/Tarquin warned me about the chrome wheels....Is she definitely a Hydro, then ? Taller rider problems ? May only get a short spin on it before I decide whether to part with the spondoolicks....
jog53
DavieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DavieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 18:18
I’ve got longish legs at 34” and on my.cali Stone there was some leg cylinder head contact. I chopped down the head protector to get another inch of clearance and that sorted it out. To be honest with a tall boot on you probably won’t even notice.

Hope it suits you - great bikes!
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 00:27
Thanks DavieL. Wheres theres a will theres a way ! But cmon lads, hydraulic tappets or no ! Seeing this baby in 8 hours !
jog53
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 08:35
Have a look through the owners' manual, might have some reference.

Page 57 says two valves per head controlled by light alloy rods and rocker arms driven by tappets.

Edited by Brian UK - 30 Dec 2017 at 08:38
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 09:29
Thanks Brian UK, thats pretty clear. Searched other sites and some made reference to it being hydraulic. That clarification will help me decide. On the way to view it in 10 mins. Fingers crossed etc.

Thanks to all.

jog53
IanB View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:13
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough - the Vintage does not have hydro tappets. It's the same engine as the 1100 Breva I think, which has a good reputation.
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 15:10
The 07 Vintage a bit of a mixed bag. Forks are very poor and need re-chroming. Wheels need work-again pitting and rust. Front wheel noticeable dent on rim, maybe 5 mil off true. Alloy levers etc tarnished. Motor is sweet and tight and ticked over nicely from cold (and it is cold here today). Seating position not at all cramped as feared. Luggage marked and possible repair at hinge. Vague reference to main fuse blowing in wet conditions. UK bike originally. Some service history. Will price that lot up and see what seller will settle for. Someone with more ability/contacts, ie anyone else other than me, might get the work done for reasonable money. Thanks for all help/advice offered. An hour in bed now to deal with last nights hangover! 
jog53
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 16:16
From what you describe, the asking price is high. Is it currently registered in Ireland? If not will that cost too?
Wonder where it was kept, close to the sea?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic