guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pulse Jet Ignition - Claimed 10% increase in power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulse Jet Ignition - Claimed 10% increase in power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 17:50
I meant to say: It might improve the poor running of modern Guzzi's where the AFR is exceptionally weak. It'd be interesting to see, but not £120 interesting Wink
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 22:08
Trouble is, many people, having spent that sort of money, will convince themselves that it made an improvement.
The only way is an independent test.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 07:40
Thats a very true statement
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:23
You got to love the weird and wonderful devices and fuel and oil additives the automotive industry inspires! Back in the day when machine tolerances were measured by "that feels about right", almost anything might have been able to improve performance or fuel consumption, but now things have changed for the better and almost universal consistancy rules. However, that will not stop our susceptibilty to the charms of the snake oil merchant's magic remedies. At this point in the life of the internal combustion engine someone will have thought of and tried everything possible so the expression "There is nothing new under the sun" will actually hold some truth; you know, a bit like trying to find a film now that you can't guess the end of. But there's always the matter of if you honestly believe it's improved your machine in some way then that's OK too because it's you that's paying for it.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 12:29
Fuel consumption figures used to be the thing.
More MPG.
I always found that the only way to improve MPG was to cut off your right leg.
Worked every time.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 13:20
You'll have to explain that one. I can see why it would work on a kick start bike, but not electric start.

Very heavy carb springs work well too.
Brian.

jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 18:55
We run two diesel cars. One is a VW Caddy 7 seater with a 1600 turbo diesel engine, the cheat emission version. About 3 years ago number 1 injector packed in on the motorway and cost me 750 euro there and then to replace. The main dealer mechanic told me to expect failure on the other injectors in due course. Started using a diesel/injector lubricant called Dipetane on a 1:180 ratio on the advice of my mechanic. 50K miles later still no issues. Claims to enhance torque and power by a modest margin as well. Is it snake oil? Dont know, but the injectors are still injecting cleanly at 100 K miles. I now add it to a 2 litre mazda 5 diesel and a 07 GSA and the Cali 1100i. My mechanic also uses marine grade 2 stroke in his old 3 series diesel BMW.
jog53
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 21:47
I would expect a modern diesel injector (high pressure fuel rail type) to last well over 50k miles. Last car was up to 175k on originals with no problems. Wife's car is now up to 135k.
There is no doubt that stuff like injector cleaner does make a difference in both petrol and diesel engines.
Brian.

BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 21:59
Reminds me of the story of the old feller who took a spoonful of a patent medicine all his life until he finally died at the ripe old age of 95. At his funeral his grieving son recounted this to the doctor who had attended his father at the last. The doctor thoughtfully took a sip of his whisky, shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, perhaps if he hadn't he might have lived to be over 100. Who can tell?"

The point is, if you think it works then that's all fine.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 15:43
I agree with those points. However I can say that those VW injectors, particularly on the 1.6 diesel models, are regarded as particularly troublesome and un-reliable. If memory serves me right, its down to piezo innards and their intense dislike of even minute amounts of contamination/water.
jog53
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:00
You're supposed to use special engine oil for those VW models (like my Land Rover Discovery which has similar injectors).
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:06
Originally posted by jog53 jog53 wrote:

If memory serves me right, its down to piezo innards and their intense dislike of even minute amounts of contamination/water.

Must be Italian made......
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 13:51
Probably Bosch.
Brian.

GuzziPaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 15:01
I have some magic beans, which improve acceleration by increased gas expansion out of the riders exhaust. (keep away from naked flame). I have tested this multiple times myself and can confirm it works. I believe several MotoGP teams used them. As well as roadside cafes, where HGV drivers need that extra boost to get heavy loads up hills.

£32 a tin plus postage.
Alan Sbj View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Sbj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 18:22
I’ll have 57 then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic