guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7 II or V7 III ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayakovski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7 II or V7 III ???
    Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 01:06
Hello All;

After many years away from riding (family) I am getting back into it and strongly looking at Moto Guzzi.  I like the style, design, performance, etc.

My question is this, V7 II or V7 III?

The V7 II is about $2000 CAN less than the VIII.  Is the V7 III worth the extra money?

Most of the issues I hear are regarding suspension and fueling, is the III a big improvement in these areas?

Thanks
Maya
No matter where you go.
There you are.
B. Banzai
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 08:06
There are quite a few thoughts about this if you search for the threads. I own a V7 ii. I road tested a V7iii. I prefer the style of the V7 ii but this is subjective of course. The V7ii does have fuelling issues that cause poor running at lower revs/throttle openings but this can be solved. I think the v7ii has more character, but again this is subjective. The V7iii is definitely smoother running and the standard rear suspension is better. Some say lowering the footpegs has made it easier to ground on cornering. I wouldn't know about that, but if you are taller, you may find the marginal extra legroom of benefit. I noticed little or no noticeable improvement in power of the Mkiii over mine but the one I road tested was brand new and not run in, so once it has loosened up this may be more noticeable. Generally, I did not think the improvements were significant enough to persuade me to up grade, especially as I think the mkii looks (and sounds) better. At the end of the day, I think ypou should test ride both and then make up your own mind.
David Owen View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Owen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 10:09
It's 90% subjective. Mechanically, they are more similar than different, although I understand the II gearbox is less cooperative. I bought a V7 III Special in October. Once I'd seen one in the metal, I was sold, or maybe hooked is a better word. To me, the V7IIIS in black is the best-looking bike period, regardless of price. And it seems like this may be the high point in V7s, as I suspect they will inevitably become more digital and less analog, if you know what I mean. After a couple of months with it I have no regrets. My 2ยข worth.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 11:18
I know slight ratio changes were made to 1st and 6th, I don't think there were any other material changes to the box. Some slight steering geometry changes too I believe. Certainly I have never had any issues with my gearbox, in fact although it is a bit notchy, it is very positive and the mkiii I rode felt identical. The mkiii does have a gear indicator but I just use the tacho to tell me which gear I am in. They are both great bikes as I think all versions of the v7 probably are. If I were buying new, I would probably go for the later model even though I do prefer the mkii style just because of the poor fuelling issue. You pays your money and makes your choice as they say!
motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 19:10
I'm familar with the V7 II, it's a great all-rounder with real character.  I saw a V7 III in the showroom a few weeks back and thought it had lost something; by comparison the V7 II just looks right. I certainly get many positive comments from bikers and non-bikers alike.

Suspension on the V7 II is certainly harsh, the initial compression damping is rock hard. You learn to live with it but I have to say it always feels 100% planted and stays nicely on line even when you hit a bump mid bend.

Fuelling at low throttle/low RPM is terrible, but that's Euro models for you - most makes are affected.
If you (or someone you know) has electronics knowledge it's not too difficult to adjust the lambda sampling, alternatively you can disconnect them completely - I believe the fixed map in the ECU works just fine without lambda feedback.

AFAIK the gearbox in V7III is the same as V7 II except with revised 1st & 6th ratios (as Chris said). It has a positive feel but it's a bit noisy as the gears aren't bathed in oil - instead these later 'boxes have a thimble full of oil (500cc) and use a pump to put it where it's needed. My advice - wear ear plugs.

Footpegs could do with being 1"-2" lower for my lanky legs, but I've mostly fixed this by using a higher saddle.

Sound wise I can't comment on the V7III, but I can confirm the V7 II makes a beautiful noise Smile
I mean really good, I can live with that sound all day and then some.

Try and have a go on both then see which floats your boat.
HTH, Pete. 

V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 11:52
Hi Pete, I am interested in the saddle modification you made, have you got further details?
Chris
motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 17:45
Originally posted by V7Chris V7Chris wrote:

Hi Pete, I am interested in the saddle modification you made, have you got further details?
Chris

Hi Chris,
It was a lucky find from a chap in Wales who'd had his V7 I saddle re-foamed/re-covered, but then his bike was stolen with the original saddle fitted.
The pillion section is slightly higher than standard, it runs almost flat to the front so the rider's section is maybe 2" higher than standard. It puts my thighs roughly horizontal, on the original saddle my knees are higher than my hips. It's quite soft but surprisingly isn't as comfy over long distances as the original.

Before I found this saddle I was about to get my own modified by this chap in Huddersfield: http://tonyarcher.co.uk
I visited Tony in 2016 and his work looks really good, he thinks he can match the original Guzzi covering pretty closely and can even cut out the logo from the old cover and incorporate it into the new.
I might still take my original saddle to Tony as it'd be nice to have a bit more comfort for all day riding.

All things considered I'd say lowered footpegs are probably the best solution, it's just the price from Knight Designs that puts me off...($175 + P&P).

HTH, Pete.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 08:22
Thanks Pete, useful info.
Chris
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:31
Reading rough these comments the changes look insignificant. Personally I'd get a II and use the money saved to get some decent touring luggage/new dog/holiday in the sun ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic