guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Petrol tank Painting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 20:17
I've bought paint from here:

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/products.php

Needed to match a factory original pearlescent white + lacquer, which it did quite well, allowing for my lack of painting ability. I ordered rattle cans.

Total of 3 coats incl. the lacquer, each needed to be dried with a hair drier, AND left over 1 night at least.

See what they say about petrol resistant lacquers.

-

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 14:30
If you have never done painting before. DON'T bother especially on the first thing your eye sees eg the Petrol Tank.

unless you have at least some experience this will end in tears

preparation is all important, patience and care is required.

It will cost you more to get it stripped off if you cock it up.

You need to spray indoors in a warm dry environment

I don't think your wife will appreciate a spray booth in your kitchen this xmas

Try "paintzfiction " in Beverly Yorkshire

Good luck
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 14:44
I think that's a bit negative. I've had reasonable success in the past although I admit not up to professional standards.

All it costs to strip it off is a litre of paint stripper and some hard work.......

I did the cycle parts and tank lining on this Sunbeam with rattle cans. The black on the tank had been painted by a previous owner although I should probably have done that as well.

Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 14:52
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

I think that's a bit negative. I've had reasonable success in the past although I admit not up to professional standards.

All it costs to strip it off is a litre of paint stripper and some hard work.......

I did the cycle parts and tank lining on this Sunbeam with rattle cans. The black on the tank had been painted by a previous owner although I should probably have done that as well.

Well done but hyline may never have done any ( he doesn't say)

I was pointing out the obvious flaws or "blue Peter " diy results don't look pretty.
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 15:58
I should have said in my earlier post that the first coats after prepping were etching primer which generally `sticks` to any thing. I also noted that my son wiped down with tack cloth after each coat and also the bare metal work before starting. He did not remove all the old paint before starting, preferring to ensure that the whole surface was as smooth as possible. My son used a heat gun to `bake` each coat but a hair drier would do.
The reason he does the painting is that I do not have the patience and I certainly do not have the eyes these days to see in great detail any small imperfections.

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 16:00
What the eye doesn't see.......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 16:36
My eye sees that your Sunbeam looks to be a great motorcycle, that's good enough for me
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Hyline View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 16:51
I am going to give it a go but I realise it may well fall short quality wise but nothing ventured etc.I am not brave or stupid enough  to try doing it in the kitchen. The garage will have to do, but I will be putting as many heaters as I can lay my hands on in there first.

Originally posted by magwa magwa wrote:

If you have never done painting before. DON'T bother especially on the first thing your eye sees eg the Petrol Tank.

unless you have at least some experience this will end in tears

preparation is all important, patience and care is required.

It will cost you more to get it stripped off if you cock it up.

You need to spray indoors in a warm dry environment

I don't think your wife will appreciate a spray booth in your kitchen this xmas

Try "paintzfiction " in Beverly Yorkshire

Good luck
Hyline View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 16:52
Your bike looks very good to me!

Originally posted by magwa magwa wrote:

Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

Well done but hyline may never have done any ( he doesn't say)

I was pointing out the obvious flaws or "blue Peter " diy results don't look pretty.
Hyline View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 16:55
I am rapidly realising that my patience is pretty short these days. Certainly don't think I have it in me to do a full blown restoration. Apart from lack of knowledge/Experience, I seem to be trying to rush it too much which is probably a recipe for disaster.

Originally posted by c13pep c13pep wrote:

I should have said in my earlier post that the first coats after prepping were etching primer which generally `sticks` to any thing. I also noted that my son wiped down with tack cloth after each coat and also the bare metal work before starting. He did not remove all the old paint before starting, preferring to ensure that the whole surface was as smooth as possible. My son used a heat gun to `bake` each coat but a hair drier would do.
The reason he does the painting is that I do not have the patience and I certainly do not have the eyes these days to see in great detail any small imperfections.

CHRIS
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 20:09
I painted my Convert and spent ages masking for pin striping, sanding and smoothing and it looked great. I used rattle cans, constructed a polythene sheet spray booth in my workshop heated it with a fan heater (outside the booth)  It took days.

It looked fab, but it was the middle of winter and after I had mounted all the bits back on the bike it all started to craze - a bit like a raku pot, if you know what one of those is.
I am not sure what has caused it, temperature after it was painted, damp, or a paint reaction, but it now looks like a genuine antique, but not a 70's Convert.

The funny thing is, everyone at Guzzi meets loves it and says leave it as it is!
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 20:40
Another alternative is the Ironing Board Spray Booth in the rear sitting room

Full length red velvet curtains are optional.

As it's a petrol tank you may have to source the appropriate size card board box though.

I was lucky females do not frequent my rear sitting room.

There are some photos of the smaller version on the site somewhere.
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 15:18
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

Another alternative is the Ironing Board Spray Booth in the rear sitting room

Full length red velvet curtains are optional.

As it's a petrol tank you may have to source the appropriate size card board box though.

I was lucky females do not frequent my rear sitting room.

There are some photos of the smaller version on the site somewhere.

It was only a matter of time.
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 16:31
Couldn't resist itLOLLOLLOL
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 17:43
I fear the deepest meaning of that might be lost on more recent arrivals.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic