guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More previous owner shenanigans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More previous owner shenanigans
    Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 16:40
Sometimes, just sometimes you have to laugh and get on with it. Today was one of those days

I promised myself to get in the garage and get some work done on the Cali EV. I've found some dodgy bits and was hoping that I wouldn't find any more. How wrong can you be?  The brakes all had new pads but the front right was a bugger to get the pistons back. I took the master cylinder cover off and  voila...a spoonful of wall paper paste doing it's best to be brake fluid.  One job done..

I had to rebuild the electrics from the clocks and was worried about the condition of what went under the tank. So the tank had to come off. That took some working out - 'cos I is unfamiliar. OK..tank off. Cleaned the 2 or 3 pound of muck and crap off and lucky me the electrics seem un-messed with. But I had to see what state the air filter was in.  Half a dead mouse and a dozen moths and leaves etc and the date on the filter was june 2000.  I need a filter then.  

My conclusion is this. That the bastid I swapped a perfectly good BMW for did jack sh*t to this bike service wise. Oh well, it'll be better than it was when I got it. 

Oh and I had to tweak the chain on the honda...I keep forgetting about chains.   John
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 18:34
its surprising how many bastids there are selling bikes. At least when you've finished you will know that what you have is good
rbt1548 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbt1548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 19:09
You have my sympathy, I am also going though similar with the T3 I just bought.
I knew when I bought it the lights came on with the ignition so I thought I would try and solve it and after about 4 days I think I may have.
 There were only 2 wires from the ignition switch, when there should be 4, off with the tank to find a cut loom with wires welded, sorry, soldered together, so after working out what is what I have the correct ones going to the ignition switch. Next is the l/h switch, new switch fitted by P.O., Lego type, buttons dodgy to say the least, park on when it should be off, ok button fitted upside down easily fixed, after having a wee poke about I decided to make up a table on the computer of what wires go to what on the l/h connector in the h/l shell, after doing that, I did one for the right and a table for the switchgear connections too. It soon became clear that the switchgear had more wires than the connector??????, ok, time to strip off the plastic insulation from the wiring and see what is what, or not, in this case. In conjunction with a wiring diagram and my multi meter it became obvious that there should be a loop joint between the 'park' button and the 'hi /lo' button, there is indeed! however rather than just the loop like a U shape the loop is connected to a wire which is added to the live feed when ignition on, which of course there shouldn't be. So hopefully that will be it, I will check in the morning as it's Baltic in the garage just now and I am feeling not too good.

The 'Run' button will only allow the bike to start in the 'off' position it is also upside down, but I will remedy that easily.

I have bought 2 Japanese switches should I decided to replace the ones that are on, the left one is probably a definite for replacement.

The annoying thing is I was told that due to a dodgy switch he had got a professional wiring co. to wire the switch, after seeing the standard I'm not so sure, either that or their work is not too clever.
Both brake light switches are goosed, the rear one is there with broken spade terminals and a manual one fitted in it's place and the front one has one spade and a black wire attached either by a big clump of solder or araldite!

I was  wondering why between the cylinder and at the gearbox the area was quite oily, on looking the gearbox breather is a 3" pipe going nowhere rather than up to the frame and the Le Mans type breather fitted in place of the air box  exits to nowhere as there isn't a pipe fitted!!!!

There are a few other issues cropped up, am I still pleased with it?, yes, I am but it's thrown up some issues I didn't expect, but I have learned where the wiring goes and what does what, connections will be cleaned and replaced as necessary and I can now make up tables on my computer!

Cugsy you have my sympathy, but persevere it'll be worth it and you will learn a wee bit more about your bike.

Edited by rbt1548 - 10 Dec 2017 at 19:13
1975 Honda CB750 K5
1958 Wife

It wisnae me, a big boy done it and ran away!

"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now!"
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 19:44
Oh, its got wiring issues - the 5 red/black that come from the clock lights merge into 1 according to the wiring diagram. But, the last person to touch this wiring welded the 5 into 1 via a blob of solder. That was broken and I've fixed it. It also has scotchloks everywhere - they're going.  This is mostly a busmans holiday and I'm not losing my temper with it....it's like being at work.  And it was taters in the garage. I even (grudgingly admit this as a northern lad) put a heater in there. Usually I just get cold. Cool

Lots more to do
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 11:09
Originally posted by rbt1548 rbt1548 wrote:

In conjunction with a wiring diagram and my multi meter it became obvious that there should be a loop joint between the 'park' button and the 'hi /lo' button, there is indeed! however rather than just the loop like a U shape the loop is connected to a wire which is added to the live feed when ignition on, which of course there shouldn't be.

I have bought 2 Japanese switches should I decided to replace the ones that are on, the left one is probably a definite for replacement.

I think that loop is to allow the sidelights to be on with ignition switched off. It puzzled me for a while on my V50.

I have replaced my left hand switch with one from a Yamaha SR125 which has everything but the headlight flasher, which I can do without. I hated the Guzzi indicator switch with its minimal movement and lack of a central detent, and combining the flasher and horn button seemed like a recipe for disaster! Of course the wiring colours were all different but with a multimeter and wiring diagrams all now sorted out - but I don't have the "lights on with ignition switch off" function. But then I don't need it....

I did try one of the cheap Chinese switches but it was very poorly made. I did get a refund from ebay for it however.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 14:18
best advice get Yam switches, it is what the newer Calis have .... there is in the electrics section a yam-guzzi colour code but it is not too hard to figure it out my 76 Vthou had a total rewire done by Towzatronics ... the nice thing about the yam switches is the r/h one is narrow, has the lights on off and fits with enough room for the Tomaselli twin pull throttle. I much prefer the lights on/off on the right keeps it away from the dip/main/etc on the left .....
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 14:25
I would have done something like that but wanted to keep the integrated twistgrip / start / kill switch.

Although I may come to regret this.......

The light switch on the Yam cluster is accessible but not in the way.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 19:41
Not sure about the Cali EV, but if the T3 is like other early big blocks, the ignition key switch has 3 positions, left = park, centre = off, right = on; the LH lighting switch has 2 input wires from different fuses, one does headlight (dip switch) only, and dash lights. The other does the 'sidelights' only, and is powered in 'park' mode only.

When I put Honda switches on my 850 I had to figure out how to duplicate this, and ended up using a relay to prevent the headlamp being switched on in 'park' mode. This relay was connected between light switch and dip switch and energised by the ignition circuit. = key 'on'.

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
rbt1548 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbt1548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 21:50
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

best advice get Yam switches, it is what the newer Calis have .... there is in the electrics section a yam-guzzi colour code but it is not too hard to figure it out my 76 Vthou had a total rewire done by Towzatronics ... the nice thing about the yam switches is the r/h one is narrow, has the lights on off and fits with enough room for the Tomaselli twin pull throttle. I much prefer the lights on/off on the right keeps it away from the dip/main/etc on the left .....

Cheers Ken, I've had a look for the colour code but can't locate it , any ideas what thread it's under?, I've tried various words in the search, and I daren't try the words I'm starting to use!!!!!!Big smile
1975 Honda CB750 K5
1958 Wife

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 17:32
i'll have a look if it fails try contacting Towza at www.Towzatronics.co.uk he can supply parts and advice I will look
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 17:55
Can't find the list, I will take a look as I had a set of notes will take some time
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 19:18
Spent more money with Gutsibits...hope the wife doesn't find out again.

er...this topic seems to be wondering tooLOL
rbt1548 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbt1548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 19:21
Originally posted by cugsy cugsy wrote:

Spent more money with Gutsibits...hope the wife doesn't find out again.

er...this topic seems to be wondering tooLOL

Sorry Cugsy it might have been me that's caused it, have a Thanks.

To finish, Thank you to all for the help, much appreciated.
Your boxes have been duly ticked  Thumbs Up
1975 Honda CB750 K5
1958 Wife

rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 14:30
I got so fed up with bodgers tinkering with motorcycles rather than riding them, that I bought a brand new one , and I keep it serviced with a competent motor engineer

dont worry these clowns do the same things to houses, I often have to break the bad new to a client that the nicely decorated house they have just bought is going to get chopped and chased to put defects right

I once bought a BMW twin from a driving instructor in Southend, he also had a guzzi for sale
gave me all sorts of spcheil about being able to ride around the world with it , but I collected it in a van
tyres were an odd set, and one the wrong way around
removed the dust covers to find tissue soaking up the oil from the leaking forks
the fairing support frame was fractured and held together with jubilee clips
fairing held on with self tappers
battery mounts all failed
engine bolt missing
head bearings seizing
wiring held together with terminal strip
I ended up dismantling the thing and putting it together from scratch
I worked out that the money i had spent on parts alone would have bought a decent one

a couple of weeks ago I went to look at a 125 for a friends son along with my friend
the middle aged seller had several large motorcycles out front and bullsh*tted away about being a life long motorcyclist ( to the chip shop and back)
I ignored all the macho posturing and tales of loads of people wanting it
I pointed out to billy big mouth that the engine had been badly painted over, including the corrosion !
the oil level sight glass was also painted over, the exhaust was not legal, the clocks not working so no MOT in a couple of weeks, leaking fork seals, and a noise from the bottom end, the engine oil was black and smelt of fuel, and the brake fluid was black with bits in it

a lot of bike for the money according to big mouth

I told my mate and his son forget it, the things a heap of sh*t, and has not been looked after or been anywhere near a competent mechanic for many years

big mouth got quite upset and made threats, so I coldly informed him that I would arrange at my expense an inspection by a motor cycle engineer, if I was wrong I would pay for the report, if I was right he pays
all the same that sort, big car in the drive and a big mouth
I left them to it 
and guess what
the idiot bought it because it was cheaper than the other he had seen, in spite of my advice
last weekend he turned up here with it wanting my help to fix it
it is probably only any good as a field bike 200 quid tops
he paid a grand ?
its failed its MOT spectacularly, and now cannot be used
I told him to take it back to the seller

I would only ever buy or swap a motorcycle from some one who actually rides it far and wide, and has it maintained by a competent engineer
once bitten twice shy

I have pictures of the crusty heap and they dont do it any favours either
Mot fail sheet
leaking fork seals
swing arm bearings worn
shock absorber leaking
silencer not legal
rear wheel bearings failing
chain and sprocket badly worn
speedometer not working
front brake light switch not working
lights not working correctly
horn not working
seat insecure
footrests fractured at mounts
exhaust pipe corroded and leaking
petrol leaking from tank and or carb !!!!!

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 15:09
Originally posted by rapheal rapheal wrote:

I got so fed up with bodgers tinkering with motorcycles rather than riding them, that I bought a brand new one , and I keep it serviced with a competent motor engineer

But where's the fun in that?

Some years ago I decided that my then main machine - a 1974 Norton Commando - was getting a bit long in the tooth for the 2,000 mile or so continental tours that I used it for. It rarely broke down and always got me home but did require concentrated effort to keep it in top condition.

So I sold the Norton and bought a 1 year old Triumph Tiger 955i. This was lovely but (a) came with its own set of problems (like incorrectly connected coolant tubes) and (b) needed substantial tweaking to get to be the way I wanted it.

But more important, it left me with little to do during the long winter days. So I bought a Velo Venom to keep it company.

Since then I've maintained one modern bike for effortless riding and one "classic" for keeping me busy. Unfortunately this theory seems to have gone slightly astray as my "modern" is a 1982 V50......

Oh, and as for "competent motor engineers" - let me know when you find one. The Triumph-trained workshop manager at the dealer I bought my Tiger from stated categorically that overheating in traffic was normal - "they all do that". Well yes, if the hoses are connected wrongly and the system is a couple of litres short on coolant they will. Once corrected it ran as cool as it should have done from the start.

Edited by iansoady - 13 Dec 2017 at 15:12
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic