guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breva 750 headlight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breva 750 headlight
    Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 14:06
Does anyone have a suggestion for a headlight I could fit on my little Breva? I had an accident recently and need to buy a new one.

The headlight I had was always useless, you could see nothing in the dark and I've avoided riding late outside urban areas for that reason. I don't think the previous and only owner changed it, so I always assumed it was not the strongest suit of the model and that's all.
Is the original one really that weak or was it just the one I had? should I go for a different headlight?

nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 23:51
Originally posted by finp finp wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a headlight I could fit on my little Breva? I had an accident recently and need to buy a new one.

The headlight I had was always useless, you could see nothing in the dark and I've avoided riding late outside urban areas for that reason. I don't think the previous and only owner changed it, so I always assumed it was not the strongest suit of the model and that's all.
Is the original one really that weak or was it just the one I had? should I go for a different headlight?

I have recently purchased a 750 Breva  but haven't got around to inspecting  the headlamp , ...yet.   (other than  a planned  xenon filament bulb upgrade  which I do to all my bikes the headlamp seems ok.)
7" multi angle reflector lamps are generally good for me . The one on my Guzzi looks like the inside of the "lens"  is dusty/ dirty , i'm not sure how i'll clean this.  
Do you need the complete headlamp shell or just the reflector piece  within the chrome rim?  I guess any of the headlamps off the likes of Honda Hornet / cbf   or Suzuki Bandit could be persuaded to fit ?
Also  considering  the state of the electrical connectors  on the rest of my bike  I guess checking that there is full voltage at the headlamp may be a good idea.

Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 08:14
Worth contacting Pete at Reboot Guzzi Spares, he might well have one.

He's the opposite to you, an Englishman living in France.

And also well worth upgrading the bulb inside to one of the Osram Nightbreaker type, which put far more light on the road.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
finp View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 00:06
Originally posted by nab301 nab301 wrote:

I have recently purchased a 750 Breva  but haven't got around to inspecting  the headlamp , ...yet.   (other than  a planned  xenon filament bulb upgrade  which I do to all my bikes the headlamp seems ok.)
7" multi angle reflector lamps are generally good for me . The one on my Guzzi looks like the inside of the "lens"  is dusty/ dirty , i'm not sure how i'll clean this.  
Do you need the complete headlamp shell or just the reflector piece  within the chrome rim?  I guess any of the headlamps off the likes of Honda Hornet / cbf   or Suzuki Bandit could be persuaded to fit ?
Also  considering  the state of the electrical connectors  on the rest of my bike  I guess checking that there is full voltage at the headlamp may be a good idea.

Thanks for the tips. Now that I think about it, the previous owner was worried about the weak battery, and installed a switch button for the headlight so that it wouldn't be too consuming on the battery when he started the bike. Not sure it was really efficient, and it may have affected the voltage as you say. That said, I'm useless for those things anyway... Just a blind guess.

Originally posted by nab301 nab301 wrote:

The one on my Guzzi looks like the inside of the "lens"  is dusty/ dirty , i'm not sure how i'll clean this. 

Where there's a way in, there's a way out Tongue

And yes, I need a complete headlight. My poor bike hit the pavement right with its head!

Quote Worth contacting Pete at Reboot Guzzi Spares, he might well have one.

He's the opposite to you, an Englishman living in France.

And also well worth upgrading the bulb inside to one of the Osram Nightbreaker type, which put far more light on the road.

Great, i'll contact him then!
Did I contribute to the forum before and said I was French? I had completely forgotten and may hve introduced myself another time then!

Thank you both! I don't know the first thing about all this to be honest, but at least I'll be able to go the  garage with the right info and i'll figure that out with them while learning about it in the process. Cheers!
Cylvabirch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylvabirch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 07:41
I recently fitted a Wipac Quadoptic headlight plus an Osram Nightbreaker bulb to my V7 Classic. It has made a huge difference to the effectiveness of the headlight both on dip and main beam.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 08:16
Originally posted by finp finp wrote:

Did I contribute to the forum before and said I was French? I had completely forgotten and may hve introduced myself another time then!
I took a guess when I saw your email address.

I wish my French was as good as your English.
Brian.

finp View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 12:01
Thank you Cylvabirch!

And thanks for the compliment Brian. Living in the country does help a lot ;)
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 18:26
Originally posted by Cylvabirch Cylvabirch wrote:

I recently fitted a Wipac Quadoptic headlight plus an Osram Nightbreaker bulb to my V7 Classic. It has made a huge difference to the effectiveness of the headlight both on dip and main beam.

I got one of those as well after being advised on here. Really good, as long as the headlamp shell isn't damaged.
Crapaud View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crapaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 17:11
I like the look of the led daymakers available on amazon, but I've not tried one. There are reviews on YouTube for some of them. As an example https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BBUC2QM/ref=mp_s_a_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1512871096&sr=8-34&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=motorcycle+headlight#immersive-view_1512871379226

Edited by Crapaud - 11 Dec 2017 at 17:26
rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 14:37
I have never had a problem with my headlight
admittedly its not as bright as some of those vulgar German motor cars, but I temper my riding to suit
it does seem to be a bit weak for riding at night on empty roads, but I dont go so fast these days
I havent bothered fitting a bigger lamp or anything like that having experienced contacts burning out in the past due to the greater loads
what about a spotlight set ?

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 17:07
Fitting the Osram Nightbreaker type doesn't affect the load, same wattage, just a lot more light.
Brian.

rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 18:47
Aha
, is it a different colour, or just a better lamp ?
I had a bad experience with a Nissan Micra, it belonged to a friend who was very ill, so I had to drive it home 9 punishment in itself
the sodding lights packed up in the middle of nowhere
when I lifted the bonnet, some retard had fitted higher wattage lamps, and it had melted the connectors
I also had a BMW that had been fitted with a bigger headlight and did the same !!!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 18:55

The light is more white than yellow, but they are still rated at the standard wattage. Possibly the life of the filament will be less.

They certainly give a lot more light on the road.
I fitted them to the car dip beams, could hardly tell when the main beam was added. Then I also fitted them to the main beam.
Brian.

rapheal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapheal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 19:00
Ta Muchly, I might pic a few up, oddly I have never replaced a headlamp bulb on the breva in 15 years
the tail light one i can do in seconds, although its now got a top quality LED one fitted
the first one failed the MOT as their was no distinction between rear light and stop light
a common problem it seems
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 19:34
Originally posted by rapheal rapheal wrote:

Aha
, is it a different colour, or just a better lamp ?
. . .

Currently using the Philips X-treme Vision version - light colour is the same as far as I can tell, just more of it. leccy Amps are the same. Got 'em in my X10 maxi-scooter (H1) and the Ural outfit (H4).

Philips say you can see 130% further down the road. Have done nighttime country roads on the X10 and am prepared to believe it.

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic