guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake piston rewind tool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake piston rewind tool
    Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 18:00
Rather than spend hard earned on something...has anyone got one of these I can borrow/scrounge/beg? Please cancel as appropriate.  Beer tokens in exchange...or just deep admiration and respec....nah can't finish it.Tongue

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Motorbike-Brake-Piston-Rewind-Windback-Tool-Motorcycle-Front-Rear-Brakes/182542941278?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D41def8f7259b485bb28c5f66cbb702b3%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D360761110907&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%253A609c7b9d-cee5-11e7-82c8-74dbd18044f9%257Cparentrq%253Adfb9e21815f0ab6b45a878b5fffb6d2b%257Ciid%253A1

John
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
theoneandonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoneandonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 19:25
whats wrong with a pair of pry bars ?
https://www.facebook.com/BaldricksWorkshop
http://baldricksworkshop.co.uk/

motorcycle slut, if it has wheels and an engine , i will ride it .
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 19:31
Put the old pads back in then use a big screwdriver to prise them apart.

Top tip: master cylinder reservoir must not be too full else will not go, unless you take the cap off and suck some out, guess how I know. Big smile

(This is why you must not "top up" brake fluid, the level drops because the pads wear.)

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 19:34
Lads, the brakes were manky. I tried the old pads and big screwdriver trick..it didn't work.  Cheers anyway
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 10:53
If you can't push them back with a lever on the old pads, I'd suggest the pistons need to come out for cleaning at least.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:08
Not sure I’m understanding, you want to push the piston back in, right? Just take the calliper off and use a G-Cramp.
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
Hyline View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 15:16
Originally posted by cugsy cugsy wrote:

Lads, the brakes were manky. I tried the old pads and big screwdriver trick..it didn't work.  Cheers anyway

Got the same problem with mine, one of the pistons on the front left seems well and truly stuck and the RH side is not moving well either. Cosmetically the callipers look poor as well, so I'm wondering whether to get them professionally rebuilt. Not looking forward to having to bleed the system though, from what I've read it can be somewhat frustrating.

What started as a light make-over to the bike seems to be pulling me into all sorts of things that I had not anticipated. Good fun though.
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 17:07
Yes, it's certainly entertaining. As usual, I'm knackered after work and it's boolock freezing cold in the garage. Must pull finger out...note to self!
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 17:31
Boolock: that'l be Norfolk for bollock...Boy
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 18:15
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

If you can't push them back with a lever on the old pads, I'd suggest the pistons need to come out for cleaning at least.

If it's that hard then yeah pistons are foooked.....

Should slide back in real easy.

-
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 18:44
If they're like mine (LM2) were, the pistons were corroded and sticking meaning the brakes dragged. I split the calipers to replace all the seals and used compressed air to get them out.

Fitted new alloy pistons & seals, brake lines & pads and they're perfect now.
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 18:58
Agree with Ian if there that stiff then they need to be out not in, new seals fitted and more important the seal grooves scraped out.
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 20:22
Ok, I must make something abundantly clear. I am not from norfolk. I was forced to move here by the wife....so there. 

Will, strip caliper this weekend.

I hate bloody norfolk and flat arse east anglia....I miss the pennines and the lakes...and any hill at all for that matter....and the RibbleDead
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 21:26
I'm sure I remember a hump back bridge somewhere in Norfolk. LOL
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 21:28
Originally posted by cugsy cugsy wrote:

Ok, I must make something abundantly clear. I am not from norfolk. I was forced to move here by the wife....so there. 

Will, strip caliper this weekend.

I hate bloody norfolk and flat arse east anglia....I miss the pennines and the lakes...and any hill at all for that matter....and the RibbleDead
Tee hee. You'll never wear a clutch out though I'm not from Wilts so I know what you mean
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic