guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4v versus 8v bikes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4v versus 8v bikes
    Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 17:49
Hi folks, I'm still mulling over the various models, trying to decide what to go for. Assuming I reject the temptation to go all retro and V7-ish, is there much difference between 4v and 8v Carc models? Also, is a 1200 much better than an 1100 for the extra money? Reliability is more important to me than performance. Any advice would be much appreciated, as I'm sure a Guzzi is the way forward, but I haven't managed to decide which model yet!
If it dropped off, you probably didn't need it anyway!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 21:55
Performance wise, the 8 valve has the edge, though not by that much.

Reliability wise, well depends on which 8 valve. The 4 valve is the same design as any big block really, going back years, and is generally pretty solid.
The 8 valve engines have been plagued with camshaft/cam follower issues with the flat follower design, but the latest roller followers are problem free. So if you go for an 8 valve, go for one which has been converted to roller followers, or the post 2012 ones fitted with these from the factory.
All the 8 valve engines are 1200. The early Norge and the 1200S are 4 valve 1200. The early Griso was 4 valve 1100 as was the Breva. Performance difference between the engines, not a lot really.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 22:14
Like the man says above, 2v heads are an older but more robust design.
I love my 1200 sport
BUT
I have it for sale due to property development bills

having said that you buy the bike you like best

good luck with your search

Mine is here
http://www.guzziriders.org/motoguzzi-sport-1200-2vhead-2008_topic8057.html
also take a look at
http://www.guzziriders.org/breva-1100_topic7968.html
if it's a Breva your after

This is my second guzzi, my first being a mkIII lemans. ....less said about that the better

I couldn't get rid of it quickly enough !
It was a 1982 y plate sold by me in 1996 ish.....

Edited by magwa - 20 Nov 2017 at 11:02
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
wrnkley View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 08:39
It all gets a bit confusing. My understanding is that 4v and 8v are the same, it depends what bike it's in whether it's called a 4V or an 8V.

E.G My 2014 Stelvio 8V had 8 valves in total. My 2009 Stelvio has 8 valves in total but is badged 4V. 4 valves per cylinder.

As Brian points out look for roller cams.

Now, I had a 2V (2 valves per cylinder) 1200 sport which ran lovely and I'm currently looking after an 1100 2V Breva which is one of the sweetest running bikes I've ever had the pleasure to ride.

Early 1200's with 4 valves per cylinder did often have a fairly heavy clutch.
Android View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Android Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 09:50
On the 1200 Sport with the textured black/brown stainless silencers the sideways shaking of the engine causes cracks around the silencer mounting bracket.

Some bikes suffered with failing oil pumps.
You can't buy happiness,
But can buy a bike and that's pretty close!
Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
Jonesey View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 13:55
Thanks for the advice, not too confusing. So if I see an 1100 which takes my fancy, they're as good as any other Guzzi 🙂
PaulW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 08:09
‘As good as any other Guzzi.’ I like that. Not setting your sights too high. 😂
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:58
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
Jonesey View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 13:37
Ha ha, no what I mean is, I like the look of pretty much all of the models since about the mid 90's, I'm just researching any particular drawbacks with specific ones. I'm going to try out as many as I can, with an open mind, and go with the one that feels best.
PaulW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 13:45
I do love my Breva 1100. Until the next time....
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 15:56
Originally posted by Jonesey Jonesey wrote:

Ha ha, no what I mean is, I like the look of pretty much all of the models since about the mid 90's, I'm just researching any particular drawbacks with specific ones. I'm going to try out as many as I can, with an open mind, and go with the one that feels best.

Well if you want something different you know where I am.
I'll probably list mine on fleabag soon .
I've got a rather large roofing bill arriving !
So mine must go
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
mojoguzzi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojoguzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 19:33
Jonesey I am in Essex come and try my Breva 1100?
not selling but if it helps you make your mind up?
2005 Breva1100 in Red with GPR can.
Jonesey View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 19:04
That's a kind offer mojoguzzi, thanks. In the middle of moving house and about to start a new job next week, but would be interested asap after that. I'm NW Essex.
Jonesey View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 19:09
Originally posted by magwa magwa wrote:

Here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Guzzi-Breva-1100/391916574244?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Yea that's a nice one. Your Gulf paint job looks the business.....
mojoguzzi View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojoguzzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 21:55
I am in Chadwell St Mary just off A13 AT Orsett Cock, once you get the house in order give me a pm and we can sort something out.
2005 Breva1100 in Red with GPR can.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic