guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convert fettling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:15
I don't like the Welsh but that's all about getting beaten at school for pinching their water as they see it.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:55
Yeah well it is funny how the English (and I am half English) have relied on the men from Scotland and Wales to be the best fighting men in the British army to fight the wars that the generally English politicians keep starting! And anyway, if it wasn't for the Celts, who could England beat at football? Funny how so many English want to ride/holiday/live in Wales too.....
I am also reminded of the sign in the public
lavatories (Builth Wells I think) that states 'Please flush vigorously, the English need our water'

Hyline View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 17:37
i have now ordered new dampers, progressive springs and seals for the forks. I don't possess a tool for compressing the springs - is there a nifty way of doing this without a special tool, but if not, what would be a suitable tool to buy?
Also, I note Gutsibits say only one seal per fork is needed as oppose to the two originally fitted, owing to the higher quality of the new seals - am I right in assuming i should be able to fit the new seals without any special tool?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Hyline - 08 Jan 2018 at 17:42
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 20:00
new seals you need only one ....I use a socket to pop it in there the V1000 has sealed dampers so the ATF oil is merely belt and braces lube, my fork internals are good after 267,000 miles and 41 yrs!
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Hyline View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 15:37
Just wondering if anyone has tried Bilthamber Deox C for removing surface rust in as fuel tank - it seems a relatively straightforward procedure, and as my tank doesn't look too bad I'm thinking of giving it a go.
Hyline View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 17:17
Well, the Convert is back on the road!
Footpegs replaced with the original footboards plus replacement bottom rails - I can understand why the original owner fitted the pegs, as I am struggling to get used to the footboards (which seem to give an unusual riding position - to me at any rate) and having to lift my foot off the board to reach the brake. Hopefully it's just a case of getting used to it.

The brakes have been completely overhauled - callipers rebuilt and refurbished by Powerhouse UK, new braided brake lines and steel pipes.
Front forks rebuilt with progressive springs, new dampers and new stanchions.
Fuel tank repainted with rattle cans - far from perfect but much better than it was.

Overall, much more work and expense than I had anticipated, but I have enjoyed doing it - just need to put some miles on it now.

Many thanks to all who have offered advice along the way - I am sure I will need plenty more in the months to come.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 18:23
Looking good.  The footboard+brake can take a little getting used to - I think most CaliT3 owners, too, will recognise that "lifting the foot off the boards" feeling.

There's a bit of a trick: the rear peg on the brake lever - get in the habit of lodging the side of your heel against this, use that 'feel' to keep your foot located, and then slide your foot up, heel on to that rear peg, toe in the obvious place, and there you go.  You do, for a while, feel like your leg's up in the air, but if you persevere (assuming you want to persevere!) it can actually become quite comfortable - to the extent, for me, that when I clamber on to my 1000SP 'roadster' I have no fecking idea where to put my feet, or where the pegs are, let along the bloody controls!

Shuffling your feet around on those boards can be really quite relaxing when you're A road cruising. Or B roads scratching. Or whatever, really.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 19:06
That looks really really nice, well done. Despite what many have said, I cannot imagine getting used to footboards. Obviously, many/ most must do though. Having said that, I have never ridden any machine with footboards so who knows! I would be surely tempted for something as attractive as that, though again, a 'traditionalist' gearbox aka the G5 would also appeal to my lack of willingness to try anything different. And before you say it Min, I know you are a real 'convert' (see what I did there....clever ain't I!)
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 19:43
Give it a couple of months and you'll love those footboards.  When I first rode my T3 Cali I couldn't believe how awkward it felt.  You soon adapt to it and at least you won't need to adapt to the heel and toe gearchange!  All part of the charm!
Looking at the angle of your brake lever I think you'd be better adjusting the tie rod as it should be possible to get it much lower without touching the board.

DSC_3182 by Derek Wardell, on Flickr

Edited by Glawster - 05 Mar 2018 at 19:53
1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
chilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 20:34
Originally posted by V7Chris V7Chris wrote:

Yeah well it is funny how the English (and I am half English) have relied on the men from Scotland and Wales to be the best fighting men in the British army to fight the wars that the generally English politicians keep starting! And anyway, if it wasn't for the Celts, who could England beat at football? Funny how so many English want to ride/holiday/live in Wales too.....
I am also reminded of the sign in the public
lavatories (Builth Wells I think) that states 'Please flush vigorously, the English need our water' 

You don't see many B&B signs written in Welsh Wink
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 20:52
Lovely job,
1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 21:20
Great job there what has been said about the wee spigot on the brake is right leave ball of the foot on the board pop heel to the small rest very soon you do that automatically when in Town and heel back down when cruising, you also can set the gear change but on a Convert not needed it IS a Torque converter so use the Hi range or 2nd gear it will do everything in that range. even the clutch is not really needed often ......My V1000 was built as a Convert BUT well before I acquired it someone had put a 5 speed gearbox, clutch and drive train in it
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Hyline View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 07:36
Originally posted by Barry Barry wrote:

Looking good.  The footboard+brake can take a little getting used to - I think most CaliT3 owners, too, will recognise that "lifting the foot off the boards" feeling.

There's a bit of a trick: the rear peg on the brake lever - get in the habit of lodging the side of your heel against this, use that 'feel' to keep your foot located, and then slide your foot up, heel on to that rear peg, toe in the obvious place, and there you go.  You do, for a while, feel like your leg's up in the air, but if you persevere (assuming you want to persevere!) it can actually become quite comfortable - to the extent, for me, that when I clamber on to my 1000SP 'roadster' I have no fecking idea where to put my feet, or where the pegs are, let along the bloody controls!

Shuffling your feet around on those boards can be really quite relaxing when you're A road cruising. Or B roads scratching. Or whatever, really.

I will give that a try, thanks.
Hyline View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 07:40
Originally posted by Ken-Guzzibear Ken-Guzzibear wrote:

Great job there what has been said about the wee spigot on the brake is right leave ball of the foot on the board pop heel to the small rest very soon you do that automatically when in Town and heel back down when cruising, you also can set the gear change but on a Convert not needed it IS a Torque converter so use the Hi range or 2nd gear it will do everything in that range. even the clutch is not really needed often ......My V1000 was built as a Convert BUT well before I acquired it someone had put a 5 speed gearbox, clutch and drive train in it

Yep, it seems high ratio is all I will probably need most of the time, and I keep telling myself to leave the clutch alone. I'm even beginning to like the windscreen - I thought I would find it much too tall, but it seems to suit the bike well.
Lovely sound from the "silencers" as well!
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:33
I used to have a T3 Cali and couldn't get on with the gearchange, so sold it and got a convert, the footboards suit the convert well, you could get a replacement rear. brake Lever, that lowered the lever, but I never found mine to be an issue, so I must have just got used to it,

I find it great for burbling around at the legal limit, I have done great daily milages doing that, and it's super relaxing and comfy.

Your lever seems much higher than mine though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic