guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Norge 1200: Start-up Remote Error DC V DC ECU 44
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norge 1200: Start-up Remote Error DC V DC ECU 44

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:54
And in diagnostics you get error 44 active with no other faults listed.

>>> No other Faults only Error 44. No active DSB Errors.

Did you pull any connectors apart, and are you certain they went back together correctly?

>>> As much as possible. I can run a check again. Certainly went too far to be sure on this point.

When you press the starter button, did you also hear any click from the start relay?

>>> hmmm...( though i hear the click under the clutch handle, when i pull it in)...but
everything else seems quiet.

Could you still hear the pump running?

>>> Once the key is on, I hear the main relay click, and pump runs-in well.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 12:21
Does the pump run after you press the button? Do all the other lights on the dash stay just as bright when the button is pressed? (This could be down to a battery dropping voltage with the load, but I doubt it.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 12:26
When you cleaned connectors, did you try to remove those big multi connectors from the ECU? I have known corrosion set in there very occasionally and cause problems. They are awkward to get at but might be worth pulling them out, spraying the pins with contact cleaner and reinserting them.
Brian.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 21:49
What condition is the battery in? Are the battery connections clean and tight?

There is a main earth connector behind the starter motor cover (under the top bolt). These have been known to loosen off, check that too.
Brian.

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 12:16
Hello Guys, been busy with all the leads, I am still unsuccessful. however, this morning, I bypassed the signal wire (spade connector) of the solenoid on the starter motor with an external shunt to it, bike started smoothly, with no on board errors. Shows everything in the bike works perfectly in order. But returning to normal, start switch does not still respond, after the second press or so, service light, diagnostic still points me error ECU 44.  

I've traced, cleaned, check all contacts but it appears I am still not close to getting what's wrong with this baby. Your lead is appreciated.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 13:24
If it successfully works using a bypass with another wire then it must be a problem with the original wiring & connections route.

Have you got a multimeter? Need to do continuity tests. Must be resistance somewhere.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 13:34
Yes I've a multimeter, been using it for continuity test, atleast all the check done so far have been good. Any specifics?
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 14:19
It may be a small resistance, too small to look significant on the meter.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 21:37
First thing is to read the "Click, no Crank" topic in our FAQ section. Do that wiring mod which is quite simple on the Norge, and see if that helps.
This is quite a common modification, but I haven't heard of the Error 44 coming up before.
Brian.

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 09:02
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

First thing is to read the "Click, no Crank" topic in our FAQ section. Do that wiring mod which is quite simple on the Norge, and see if that helps.
This is quite a common modification, but I haven't heard of the Error 44 coming up before.

Thanks Brian, Indeed the "Click, no Crank" is very informative and captures basically what is afflicting the bike, I will do the mod. The Error 44 just makes it a little ConfusedConfused... I'm hopeful anyway.

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 19:46
Hi Brian, I did the mod, no changes.

Once I press the start switch, there goes the error (service light). Turn key off, wait for about 5-15secs, switch on, no service light.

Press start, service light (error 44).

No clicks whatsoever, when start switch is pressed.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 21:32
Are you clearing the error code when you read it? If you don't it will remain and might be confusing things.

But clearly the start relay coil is not being energised for some reason.
It would be inhibited of the bike is not in neutral, and possibly if the side stand is down. But the dash lights should show that.

With the ignition on, there should be 12v on the black/red wire to pin 1 of the relay, and when you press the button assuming the main injection relay is working. When you press the start button it tells the ECU to earth the other side of the relay coil.

Can you get to the start relay connections and check the voltage on the black/red wire to pin 1 with the ignition on? Then check what voltage is on the other orange/grey? wire on pin 2, this should also be about 12v to earth but should drop to zero when the button is pressed.

Edited by Brian UK - 20 Nov 2017 at 22:31
Brian.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 23:50
“But clearly the start relay coil is not being energised for some reason”

+1
Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 06:20
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Are you clearing the error code when you read it? If you don't it will remain and might be confusing things.

But clearly the start relay coil is not being energised for some reason.
It would be inhibited of the bike is not in neutral, and possibly if the side stand is down. But the dash lights should show that.

With the ignition on, there should be 12v on the black/red wire to pin 1 of the relay, and when you press the button assuming the main injection relay is working. When you press the start button it tells the ECU to earth the other side of the relay coil.

Can you get to the start relay connections and check the voltage on the black/red wire to pin 1 with the ignition on? Then check what voltage is on the other orange/grey? wire on pin 2, this should also be about 12v to earth but should drop to zero when the button is pressed.

Thanks Brian,
I clear errors, though just some few seconds after turning off key, the service light clears out.

Before:
Neutral light OK, dash recognize side stand is up. No service light.

Measurements:
Pin1: black/red = 12.8V
Pin2: brown/grey = 12.8V
Pin3: Yellow (on mod via 15amps)= 12.8V
Pin5: Orange/Yellow (to Solenoid Spade)= OV

After:
When I press the start button, voltage to earth @ Pin2 remains12.8V...no drop, no changes.

Double-f View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 06:26
...no drop no changes. Service light out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic