guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Guzzisti go touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North Wales Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omobono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Wales Suggestions
    Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 17:47
Hi all,
starting now the preparation for next Spring's North Wales Tour, cottage to be booked very soon.
Possible headquarters in Betws-y-Coed, but if I don't find anything after my liking anything beautiful within Snowdonia will do. I have been there once (rained all the time) and was based in Betws-Y-Coed.
Any road or other suggestions?
I am interested in information about:
1) Good roads
2) Picture postcard pubs
3) Police attitude
4) weather/rain (not optimistic on that one; but I want to be spiritually prepared).  
5) Alternatives to Betws-Y-Coed. Typical villages, with character, not too little, perhaps a pub or a small main street, a grocery shop would also be nice.

Thanks
O

kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 18:57
The North Wales po lice are legendary....and not in a good way......
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
850 LE MANS...1 & 2....V7 Loop Frame..V7 Sport replica...Guzzi Daytona...Ducati 900ss Bevel not belt.....Laverda 3C ....and an MZ...
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 18:57
Shame your not going to mid wales ( powys just outside lower snowdonia )

By this time next year I could have a ideal location (self catering ) with secure garaging and workshops

Might be even able to do b&b at our adjacent cottage

I'm busy building
but
roads around machynlleth, Dolgellau, Aberystwyth, llanidloes,Llanbrynmair, halfren forest , are brilliant.

Just a word of ADVICE most speeders in Wales get points for exceed 30 or 40mph in villages and towns by traffic enforcement vans.

solution is easy.

Obey speedlimits in these places.
Or expect an NIP and point, you won't see a policeman, just a postal stinger

Easy really

But about 100yds from me is this place.
brilliant base
take a look https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/5024993

Edited by magwa - 02 Nov 2017 at 21:14
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 21:30
When I did my speed awareness course one of the tidbits that came out of it we were told in England there's a 10% margin, in Wales, there isn't. Clocked just 1 mph over and you'll be getting the letter in the post.

Yes when I was last in that area (same year as when I was "done" actually) I saw camera vans. If you see oncoming cars flashing at you it usually means they're warning you there's a camera van ahead.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Omobono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omobono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 09:30
Thanks all!
Very interesting info!
I am thinking now but tending about letting Wales go and pick another destination instead. I am not a "speeder" (over 50 touring biker) but is the mentality that I don't like and I am not inclined to leave my holiday money there. For heaven's sake, they make Switzerland look tolerant. I have already been in Snowdonia so no bucket list, either.

In case I abort Wales the candidates are:

1) Cornwall/Devon (never been there)
2) Yorkshire Dales (never been dale)
3) Lake district again (been there)

If anyone has thought, I would be grateful for useful tips as above (Police, being England, I know already).

Thanks

O

Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 09:41
Scottish Highlands are truly wonderful.
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 09:41
Originally posted by Omobono Omobono wrote:

Thanks all!
Very interesting info!
I am thinking now but tending about letting Wales go and pick another destination instead. I am not a "speeder" (over 50 touring biker) but is the mentality that I don't like and I am not inclined to leave my holiday money there. For heaven's sake, they make Switzerland look tolerant. I have already been in Snowdonia so no bucket list, either.

In case I abort Wales the candidates are:

1) Cornwall/Devon (never been there)
2) Yorkshire Dales (never been dale)
3) Lake district again (been there)

If anyone has thought, I would be grateful for useful tips as above (Police, being England, I know already).

Thanks

O

If your not a speeder, you have nothing to fear

Wales is a great place to ride.
Most B roads are far better than English A roads.
good luck
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 10:25
http://www.north-wales.police.uk/nwp/public/en/blogs/viewblog.asp?UID=2&CID=25
Dunno if the above will work.....am not anti Wales...in fact I love it...but the attitude of its force towards motorcyclists isnt of the best....
Google em.....
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
850 LE MANS...1 & 2....V7 Loop Frame..V7 Sport replica...Guzzi Daytona...Ducati 900ss Bevel not belt.....Laverda 3C ....and an MZ...
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 11:32
I've lived in mid wales on retirement now for 4 years
In all that time I've seen about 4 patrol cars and three officers on foot (machynlleth )
However the" Civilian" traffic enforcement camera vans are everywhere, taxing the tourists.
They operate 8am to 4pm weekdays, weekend working only in the summer ( overtime) bank holiday working in summer sometimes

I hate the bl**dy things

Oh I did my 30yrs in the thin blue line ( Midlands city)
so I guess I'm considered a grade 1 enemy
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 11:48
Originally posted by kateguy kateguy wrote:

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/nwp/public/en/blogs/viewblog.asp?UID=2&CID=25
Dunno if the above will work.....am not anti Wales...in fact I love it...but the attitude of its force towards motorcyclists isnt of the best....
Google em.....
Sorry, the page you requested cannot be found
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 12:42
Brilliant camping/glamping site just north of Barmouth Dinas caravan and camping bike friendly great for walks but rather remote ....But we went to Hendre Mynach very bike friendly A short walk along the prom to the Town and very good pubs/eating places there We found the Taxi ride back along the prom was a mere £3.
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 16:06
North Wales is great. Friendly folk and if you are not a hooligan, nothing to fear. You will often see motorcycle police being very friendly with bikers on the A5 at cafes etc. Try Anglesey, less chance of rain than Snowdonia but wonderful beaches, nice villages, Friend pubs. You can still explore the lovely roads of Snowdonia too. I found Cornwall to be overpriced, overrated and expensive.
kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 18:18
Well bein as my hubby has just retired from the force....no I wouldnt neccessarily consider any policeman in isolation the enemy....but the guys on the ground dont usually make the rules....
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 20:34
The police are only your enemy if you make them that by being stupid on the road.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
PaulW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 21:40
North Wales is great for riding, apart from the slight risk of damp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic