guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tyres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tyres
    Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 17:02
V35 rear tyre size is 3.25",  my bike is a v35 with v50 motor, will it be ok with a 3.25" tyre or better with a 3.50" ? presumably it`s advised because of additional power but realistically does it need the bigger one ....they are otherwise the same cycle frame
g3ls/gn250/v35
GC888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 17:58
Yours will be better in the wet, but in normal running doubt if you would notice much difference. 

I am considering switching my tyres to a larger cross section but the size is limited by the swinging arm.

Larger tyres make the bike feel heavy, helps dry grip but reduces wet grip. 

The heavy handling is emphasised on the V50/V35 more than modern bikes as the ratio of the tyre is quite high 90% i.e. higher giro.

There are contact patch calculators where you can calculate the difference, but they are all compromises the biggest effect is your weight and thats in a design envelope of 7st and 17st 

Therefore logic suggests - the more pies you eat and more beer you drink the safer you will be! :-)   
telegraphroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telegraphroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 18:19
I had oversize (by one step) tyres on both the front and rear of my Monza when I got it. I replaced them with the correct size and the handling was worlds apart. Some of that down to new vs old tyres of course but it is so much more responsive and progressive in turns now. I think I may have made a poor choice of brand though as the Avon Roadriders I went for (one of the few matched set radials available in the correct size) have started to develop longitudinal cracks in the pit of the central treads. I'm not massively concerned as they are tubed but I am keeping an eye on it and it's possible that I will end up changing them due to this before I've got my money's worth out of them. Other than that they are great tyres with excellent dry grip and handling characteristics. I don't tend to ride the Monza in the wet so can't comment on wet performance.
V50 Monza
VFR 800FI
Herts / Essex border

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telegraphroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 18:21
PS. I eat a lot of pies and am well outside of CG888's design envelope!
V50 Monza
VFR 800FI
Herts / Essex border
ruf View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 18:32
thanks for your comments, i have some tyres `in stock` that will fit so will see what there is short term until i need to replace the front as well,
g3ls/gn250/v35
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 21:55
The Guzzi frame was designed to use narrow tyres, fitting wider ones can screw up the handling.

My V35/50 manual shows both V35 tyres as 3.00/18 and both V50 ones as 100/90 18.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
ruf View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 22:16
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

The Guzzi frame was designed to use narrow tyres, fitting wider ones can screw up the handling.

My V35/50 manual shows both V35 tyres as 3.00/18 and both V50 ones as 100/90 18.

your right, i misread the v35 bit,    but the manual also says v50 has 3,25 front " and 3.50" rear   OR    100/90 at both ends, so i have the choice of all three on the rear...  cheers

but not at the same time...
g3ls/gn250/v35

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telegraphroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 09:33
IIRC I have a 90 on the front and 100 on the back.
V50 Monza
VFR 800FI
Herts / Essex border
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic