guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big block oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 21:07
by the way 78 G5 V1000 extended sump makes no difference do not add more oil than standard , and the oem oil is 20/50 hope you sorted it
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 21:25
Changed the engine oil and oil filter today on my 1995 Cali 1100i. It has a sump extender with external oil filter. It took exactly 3 Litres of engine oil to bring the oil up to the upper (Full) indicator line on the dip-stick. I thought that , with the extender, it would require more oil, but 3 litres it is.
jog53
theoneandonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoneandonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:12
oil pressure should be , up to 70 psi cold ,
switch works at 5-10 psi 
is you gauge good ? 
i tested 2 bikes 1 day 
mine , 80 psi cold ( i have played with the regulator ) rock solid 60 hot , i use 20/60 TRM from rock oil 

Cali ali , 70 from cold , solid 50 hot 

https://www.facebook.com/BaldricksWorkshop
http://baldricksworkshop.co.uk/

motorcycle slut, if it has wheels and an engine , i will ride it .
Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 17:28
Well, I started this thread at the end of October last year, and I've finally got around to sorting it out today (the G5 has been standing forlornly outside the back door ever since as I've got a dozen projects on the go and reached gridlock in the workshop a long time ago!).

I first noticed the problem when I fitted a sump extension together with an oil pressure gauge. It made me wonder if the oil pump was failing and that the fitting of the extension had tipped it over the edge, having to lift the oil that bit further.

It was pointed out to me early on that the pressure relief valve could be the culprit, and indeed this seems to be the case here. When I fitted the extension, I had a spare sump all nice and clean and ready to go. I fitted this in place of the original sump - big mistake as it turned out.

I re-fitted the original sump today and everything is back to normal. The oil pressure as indicated by my (uncalibrated) pressure gauge reads 60psi on start-up at a steady 1500rpm. Once the engine was warmed up for a few minutes, the pressure dropped to around 48psi at 1200rpm. Winding it up to 3000rpm gave nearly 60psi. I haven't yet road tested it yet as the bike isn't currently taxed or tested.

I've seen the rig some people have used to test the relief valve, and one day I'll get round to making one myself and testing the faulty valve.

Right, time to book an MOT and get back out on it!

Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 18:54
You still have the extension in place?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 02:50
another case of something else has been changed but not mentioned. So everyone is trying to figure out why adding an extension could cause a pressure drop, except it isn’t that at all!

LOL
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 07:35
Yes, it does help if we get the full story at the start.
Brian.

Jools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 17:49
Oh dear, yes, guilty as charged I'm afraid. My apologies for omitting to include the sump swap in the first place. I never gave it a thought at the time I must confess - too focused on the effects of adding the extension itself. Headfirst into the heffalump trap again.

A sump is a sump is a ..... no it isn't. Never overlook the bleedin' obvious. 

Oh well, we live and learn.
Jools

V1000G5
1972 T150V
1961 Royal Enfield Constellation
1971 Suzuki ACC50
erm... 1963 Philips Panda
(and other assorted detritus)
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 19:40
Originally posted by Jools Jools wrote:

Never overlook the bleedin' obvious. 

Oh well, we live and learn.

Something we have all done at some time or other.
Brian.

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 21:04
great news bike is sorted , these posts like my early ones show you need to get all information to the table Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 21:07
yes must never assume, but of course I have. 

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic