guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big block oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:50
Originally posted by italianmotor italianmotor wrote:

The right way round is when all the holes on the sump gasket line up correctly with all the holes on the sump AND the bottom of the crankcase. If I were you Jools I'd put it back to standard and see if the issue is still occurring.

Yeah - gets my vote. I'd not run for a month with suspect oil pressure.

Nearest I came to ever striking a woman (*) was when my girlfriend rode round to mine on my V50 one night and asked what was wrong with the bike. 'Why' says I, 'Just that the oil light has been on all the way over'. Yowsers. Turned out she'd been on high beam the whole way. Bike and relationship both saved.

(* - no, not really but you get the drift)
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 12:25
A lot of people think the oil light means "put some oil in" not, as is the truth, "your engine is self-destructing".
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 13:08
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

the oil light means ... "your engine is self-destructing".

Well, that's not technically true, surely? It rather depends on what the optimum oil pressure for a healthy operating engine is, and at what pressure the indicator light is set to illuminate, via the oil pressure switch.

"Your oil pressure has dropped below the level at which the oil pressure switch is set to register" is not necessarily the same as "oil pressure has dropped below safe operating levels".

In addition, the same indicator light can indicate that the oil pressure switch itself has failed, or is faulty, or that the electrical connections to it have become interrupted.

Given that, the oil pressure light might more generally be taken to indicate that your oil level, oil pressure, oil pressure switch, or oil pressure switch wiring connections (etc) require attention, and you should attend to that immediately, and that you would be wise not to continue running the engine until you have established the cause, and rectified it.

Edited by Barry - 15 Jan 2018 at 13:11
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 13:17
Those oil pressure switches operate at about 5 psi. So if the light is on, and you run it, don't expect the engine to last long.
Believe me I know of several engines in different vehicles which are no more due to the owner not checking quickly enough when the light came on, "oh it's only a faulty pressure switch".

Do you feel lucky?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 13:46
Of course you're right Barry. But I prefer to err on the side of caution.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 14:34
[QUOTE=iansoady] Of course you're right Barry. But I prefer to err on the side of caution.
I agree with erring on the side of caution but that`s mainly down to one bad experince when the dam bulb was kaput, on another bike, without me knowing.
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 14:49
Err on the side of caution? So would I. But I also would not automatically assume that the engine was about to self-destruct.

In other news, be careful not to burn yourself on the downpipes when checking for a loose connection on the (big block) oil pressure switch. By gods, that hurt. And continued to hurt for a surprisingly long time.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 15:12
If I assume it's about to self-destruct but it turns out to be a switch etc then all I've lost is a bit of time. If I assume it isn't and it does I've lost a lot more.

If the bulb's gone then you see it (or don't if you get my drift) as soon as you switch on. In fact the switch on my V50 had failed open circuit when I bought it so the light never came on. That was the first job.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 15:15
Always worth checking out any abnormality when it comes to that oil warning light. Never assume.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 15:45
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Always worth checking out any abnormality when it comes to that oil warning light. Never assume.
on my 1100 sport I had the light come on a few times always turned out to be the sensor . Then one day it came on so I carried on riding , less than 1 mile later the vibs told me this was the real deal . Lucky for me just the shell bearings got damaged . Crank was ok . REDLIGHT means STOP
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 16:32
Absolutely.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 06:59
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

My oil light came on heading to Scotland last year. Which was a bit of a surprise as I knew the wire had been broken off by my tank bag strap.

Cheers
Min
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 10:44
Presumably the loose end was earthing out somewhere.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:25
The doink that I got my Cali from told me he had fitted a new oil pressure switch but couldn't get it to work. When I stripped the headlight and other front bits it turned out that the bulb was missing.  Oil light comes on and bike starts and light goes out and stays out.  People eh?
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
swede View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 23:50
A side note on your problem, don't be tempted to increase the spring pressure in the relief valve as the valve is there to let the pressure off on cold starts and if it doesn't it can explode the oil filter, I have seen the result of a jammed shut valve! 
swede in the shed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic