guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic style tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 19:34
Perhaps I wasn't very clear at the outset. This was nothing to do with looks. I wanted tyres in the original size for my bike which specifies the same 4in non-low-profile size front and back. These have to be universal tyres as no front specific tyres are made. All the available options are traditional block pattern tyres.

The modern, very grippy Michelin tyres I’d fitted before were expensive and were well beyond what was needed to match the capabilities of the V7 loop. It might weigh almost 260kgs but only puts out something like 46 bhp. Tyres with a lower spec might be good enough I thought.

There are issues with using modern low profile tyres on these old bikes which, from the outset, lacked ground clearance. Using a standard rear tyre and a low profile on the front also pitches the bike forward ever so slightly. This has the effect of quickening the steering a little but given the performance of the bike and the way I ride it, that's not something I need. As I say I don't need the grippiest tyres available unlike for my V7Sport where I choose sticky tyres to match my more enthusiastic riding.

This is the bike I’m talking about shod with the new rubber.

1972 V7Sport "The Racing Rhino".
1972 V7 700cc "The Fire Bike".
1954? Superalce
1954 BSA M33 (to be sold)

Read my blog https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 20:01
Cheers John! I knew you'd have a sensible reason for going down that route.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 22:26
Originally posted by BobV7 BobV7 wrote:

Cheers John! I knew you'd have a sensible reason for going down that route.

I won't look so clever if they're diabolical in the wet.

One good thing. I easily got it onto the centre stand when I put it in the garage. I had been avoiding this till now.
1972 V7Sport "The Racing Rhino".
1972 V7 700cc "The Fire Bike".
1954? Superalce
1954 BSA M33 (to be sold)

Read my blog https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 10:08
That looks as if it's the right tyre for the bike.
My tuppence worth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic