guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic style tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 10:38
What were the white walls I saw you with at the weekend Kate?
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 15:43
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

Hi Kate,nice to see you back on here young lady.

Thankee kind sir...x
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
850 LE MANS...1 & 2....V7 Loop Frame..V7 Sport replica...Guzzi Daytona...Ducati 900ss Bevel not belt.....Laverda 3C ....and an MZ...
kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 15:44
Maxxis Classics...which I got for 40 quid apiece Butch.....then they flippin doubled in price !
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
850 LE MANS...1 & 2....V7 Loop Frame..V7 Sport replica...Guzzi Daytona...Ducati 900ss Bevel not belt.....Laverda 3C ....and an MZ...
saultrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 16:03

Hi Kate,nice to see you back on here young lady.

What he said..
kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 18:55
Ta Duckie.....
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 21:22
Wow didn’t know you can still get TT100’s - not wishing to rubbish them further (but I will ) Meriden Triumph stopped fitting them when manufacture moved abroad, switched to Avon; I had a ‘78 T140 that used TT100 as OEM; latterly put one of the “foreign” ones on the back to replace worn out one. Bike weaved like bu99ery, now a T140 May have many faults but weaving isn’t usually one of them.

Somewhat later when I acquired my Spada, it came with TT100’s which the PO had thoughtfully had put on new prior to sale, nice idea unfortunately in the wet it felt like the road was liberally scattered with ball bearings, quite scary. Albeit brand new they got replaced with Avon’s double ASAP.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 00:59
Interesting,the views on TT100's.On my Loops I use an Avon SM on the rear and because the ribbed front is not available in the correct 18" size I use a K82 3.50 universal on the front.The K82 has an identical tread pattern to the K81 TT100.I prefer the 3.50 to a 4.00 because it sharpens the steering a little.I haven't experienced any road-holding problems day to day or on Alpine passes in the rain.By the way,the Avon SM employes modern materials so is not like the "Skid Master" of distant memory.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
ruf View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 06:01

Interesting,the views on TT100's.On my Loops I use an Avon SM on the rear and because the ribbed front is not available in the correct 18" size I use a K82 3.50 universal on the front.The K82 has an identical tread pattern to the K81 TT100.I prefer the 3.50 to a 4.00 because it sharpens the steering a little.I haven't experienced any road-holding problems day to day or on Alpine passes in the rain.By the way,the Avon SM employes modern materials so is not like the "Skid Master" of distant memory.

interesting, does it say on the k82 sidewall where it was made?   i put an avon sm on my matchless rear a couple of months ago and it grips/handles very nicely, i have a k82 on the front, must check that ones origin
g3ls/gn250/v35
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:31
Hi Ruf.It hadn't occurred to me to check the country of origin of my K82's,so I've just done it.Both tyres state, Made in France.So,no worries there then, n'est-ce pas?
I imagine any problems with TT100's back in the Meriden days will have been sorted a long time ago.My 850 GT came with brand new TT100's fitted but were very much over size.A 4.25 on the front and a 4.50 on the rear,this resulted in noticable under steer.My current setup works well and gives a rear tyre life of 10,000 miles plus.The front K82 seems to go
on for ever.

Edited by Dave P. - 02 Nov 2017 at 12:10
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 21:57
I ended up buying a pair of Mitas H06 tyres (and new tubes of course). Tread depth is about 8.6mm or so. I've checked the contents of the first aid kit and will pre-load the swear box before I fit them, probably at the weekend.

I've removed the worn out tyre from the rear wheel and was not impressed to find the tube has been patched twice. This must have been done at fitting time when I gave the fitter brand new tubes to use. I had gone to him because of my damaged wrist.

I'm determined to do it myself this time, bad wrist or not. I've got a mate I can call on for help if it all gets too much. My wrist is permanently painful and gets worse the more I use it.
1972 V7Sport "The Racing Rhino".
1972 V7 700cc "The Fire Bike".
1954? Superalce
1954 BSA M33 (to be sold)

Read my blog https://racingrhino.wordpress.com/
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 22:14
Several years ago I took the v50 wheel in for a new tyre, the one armed fitter did it quite easily.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 19:41
Originally posted by v7john v7john wrote:

I've removed the worn out tyre from the rear wheel and was not impressed to find the tube has been patched twice. This must have been done at fitting time when I gave the fitter brand new tubes to use. I had gone to him because of my damaged wrist.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 23:16
So far so good, I've fitted the new back tyre and was amazed at how easy it was to get on. Popped it on without any trouble - no pinched tube. Perhaps it's because it's a proper tube type tyre and not a tubeless. The old Michelins were very tough to get off and the front one was a real pain. I've still got the new front tyre to fit. I'll rest the old wrist for a day then throw it on.

Tyre pressures will then be the thing. I've been running modern tyres at much higher pressures than the handbook says but these tyres are rated for their full load capacity at 33psi so I'll have to think again. That's the same capacity the old ones had at 41psi.

The original solo pressures quoted in the handbook were 21psi front and 25psi back.
1954? Superalce

v7john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v7john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 17:45
Well, I took a guess and put 24psi in the front and 28psi in the back and went for a ride to clean the surface of the tyres. It was dry (but cold) so I didn't go too far. At very low speeds, say less than 10mph, the front end felt a bit heavy but other than that all was fine. The next test will be a wet ride. Shouldn't have to wait long!
1954? Superalce

BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 18:53
I have been watching this thread with some interest as I don't quite understand the importance of looking for  "classic style" tyres. Ok, I suppose for a trailer queen being shipped between shows that never touches the road, but an every day rider? The Lazertecs fitted to my V7 were supposed to look classic but were in fact horrible and I couldn't wait to get shot of them. Fortunately they very quickly developed cracks in the side wall inspite of being corrected inflated and were soon replaced with BT45s. When it comes to avoiding the arse/Tarmac interface I want the best tyre for the job and who cares what it looks like when it's going round.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic