guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Link Front/Rear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 21:29
If you want everything the same you should have a Jap 4-cylinder bike. For me the point of having older bikes is the difference they give you.
My Spada has linked brakes and it has taken me a while re-learn after not having a Tonti bike for a while.
My loop has drums with cable controls, but with an upside-down heel & toe shift. All part of it's overall character.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 23:38

The score so far -

In favour of keeping it linked: 8

In favour of convert to independent: 1

LOL

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 08:14
It's a free world, up to the owner what he/she prefers.

I just objected to the use of the word "gimmick" to describe linked brakes.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 08:42
I bought a Guzzi that had been de-linked by the P.O.

Changed it back to linked, because I wanted all my bikes the same as that's what I'm used to.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 13:07
Linked brakes are not at all quirky it is a real simple solution that works real well and until ABS etc came along with very expensive elektrikery they were by far the safest and quickest way to stop a bike wet or dry there was .....simple design too ....essentially a hydraulic regulator no moving parts I do know a few ex Guzzisti who bought the valve and fitted it to other bikes ..... I knew of a Goldwing 1100 interstate owner who successfully fitted it
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
stuv65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuv65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 13:42
Good to see a lively and appropriate debate on the forum. :-)

If GC888 goes ahead with de-linking the brakes, it would be good to hear from you what you've had to do and how the bike/brakes feel after they're de-linked.

If you're making your own hoses I found Rally Design useful for parts.

stuart

GC888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 16:24
stuv65 many thanks for your wise words again :-) 

Lively appropriate debate based on facts and technical information is always good. Though I did not expect quite such loyalty and strong opinions on a braking system! 

I'm reasonably sure I will go for two sets of hoses so I can try both systems. Including the 3rd option of only using one of the front discs, Which to me feels the most logical. (though adding a fork brace may be a consideration)

I'm not sure about downsizing the rear cylinder as pretty much any brake will lock the rear if you press too hard. If someone has used this set up it would be interesting to know of any issues experienced? 

It may be a while before I'm ready to report back on the various merits of each un-linked configuration but I will. 

Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 17:15
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

The score so far -

In favour of keeping it linked: 8

In favour of convert to independent: 1

Another vote for keeping the linked brakes, such a simple and effective solution, I'm surprised it wasn't copied by other manufacturers
It’s more fun to try to ride a slow bike fast .....
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 17:34
Originally posted by GC888 GC888 wrote:

Though I did not expect quite such loyalty and strong opinions on a braking system!

You didn't expect loyalty from Guzzi owners on one the most unique and innovative characteristics of Moto Guzzis?

I mean, you could always consider converting the shaft drive to a chain drive, and doing something about that pesky v-twin layout...   (o;
Keef Mayhem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keef Mayhem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 17:52
Well I've got one Lemans V that I delinked years ago and I have a Mk4 which is still linked, to cut it short, if you ride fast delinked is better for me but you do need to to change both master cylinders  and uprate the front suspension as its then to soft under braking, I don't ride that fast anymore or use the Guzzi as often as I should so the linked brakes on the mk4 are ok but nothing special.
Maybe I've got used to more modern brakes on my other bikes Evil Smile

So many bikes, so little time !
Dodge View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 18:05
If you enjoy tinkering with your bike, get a bevel drive v-twin Ducati. It will never be out of the workshop!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 18:18
It's not loyalty, it's knowing what works best for most people, if they can open their eyes to something they haven't experienced before.

However, as I said, your bike, your decision. Nobody here is judging your decision.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
GC888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 19:18
Originally posted by Barry Barry wrote:

You didn't expect loyalty from Guzzi owners on one the most unique and innovative characteristics of Moto Guzzis?

I mean, you could always consider converting the shaft drive to a chain drive, and doing something about that pesky v-twin layout...   (o;

TBH no... I thought there would be a mix of arguments, as its just a part of the whole Guzzi ownership. Linked brakes are unusual however interesting or effective. But it does not stop being an interesting bike if the brakes are no longer linked... 

There is also many a good reason why most motorcycles don't have linked brakes, I don't recall seeing one on any race track or a massive aftermarket trade in fitting linked systems :-)

But its an engineering question not linked to ones love of the Guzzi

That pesky twin layout ..... your not suggesting a conversion to diesel then? 

Smile

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 20:25
Now hear this, Now hear this.

There will be no discussion on oils or tyres/tirers (for our colonial chappies) on this thread.

That is all.

As you were.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 21:06
One reason others did not do it at the time was Guzzi patented it, so until the elektrikery stuff came along no one else did it ...This is what I read .....Remember the Convert on Tomorrows World way back and the linked brakes were mentioned , remember way back in the 70's the brembo brakes were The best ...I had a new Honda 750 F1 in 76 and I can tell you the brakes were bloody awful especially in the wet NOTHING and I mean nothing happened when you braked in the wet causing panic then when they did oh boy ....I came to it from a Commando with TLS that was way better than the Honda had ...so to compare a 70's system with the 4 pot Brembos as on the EV is just not close ...for the time they were way ahead of the competition .....
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic